We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach for day

Western Mass.
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach for day

Hello,

We'll be in Bermuda on a cruise for 3 days.

Day 1 we are going on a private snorkeling charter.

For Day 2 we'd like to go to a beach.

Which beach would you suggest?

We would like to be able to rent chairs and an umbrella.

Also would like food and drink available, maybe some activities.

Also, for Day 3 - any suggestions of the best things to do?

We'll need to be back to the ship late afternoon.

Thanks!

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach for day

>>>...Which beach would you suggest?...<<<

The beaches I usually suggest are those small, semi-secluded, rock-crenellated coves and beaches of South Shore Park, between Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay...but mercifully, they require a bit more energy and effort to get at than larger beaches with beach concessions and facilities so they mostly remain uncrowded.

For beaches with food & beverage service and chair & umbrella concessionaires, simply follow the crowd aboard the '..SPECIAL..' express buses between the end of your Dockyard cruise ship pier and Horseshoe Bay (approx. 30 mins)...or...take a 'regular' #7--Dockyard-Via South Shore Beaches-Hamilton bus from the same stop at Dockyard to Elbow Beach (approx. 50 mins). There is a concessionaire, near the public access portion that rents chaise, chairs & umbrellas, as well as basic snorkeling gear and the MICKEY'S BISTRO bar & restaurant, down on the sand in front of the Elbow Beach Hotel, is a short stroll along the beach for food & beverage service.

For a 'compromise', take the same #7 bus from Dockyard to WARWICK LONG BAY (approx. 35 mins). There is a concessionaire there during the 'season' (Apr-Oct) that rents chairs & umbrellas, basic snorkeling gear and sells very basic beach snacks & beverages. The long (approx. 1/2 mile) thin, strand of Warwick Long Bay is one of Bermuda's most beautiful beaches and perhaps because of the lack of 'services', will be far less '..trafficked..'.

>>>...for Day 3 - any suggestions of the best things to do?...<<<

In the absence of the not-so-minor details of what sort of things attract your interst or attention,...try taking some time and making some effort with your own destination research, filtered through your own personal preferences, priorities, special needs, interests, by scrolling through this '...laundry list..' to come up with your own '..short list..'....then return for more information and/or advice--

BERMUDA RESEARCH & PLANNING INFO (up-dated 02/07/12)--

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147255-i208-k5139…

Western Mass.
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach for day

Thank you SO much for all the info!

As far as Day 3 goes, I guess I was asking what is a MUST do or see if you only have 8 hours in Bermuda.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach for day

>>>I guess I was asking what is a MUST do <<<

Okay...that's easy...GO BACK TO THE BEACH !!

Western Mass.
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beach for day

Sounds good to me:)

Western Mass.
Level Contributor
73 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beach for day

Let's just say we were sick of the beach (not that that could happen), haha.

Is there one town that is a must see, say Hamilton or St. George?

Or one hike that we should go on? Lighthouses or Caves? Or whatever...

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beach for day

>>>...Is there one....that is a must see,...<<<

With the possible exception of Bermuda's magnificent south shore beaches, there are no absolute '..Must See/Must Do..' in Bermuda. If this sounds a bit like '..damning with faint praise..' you'd be wrong. It's just that Bermuda is one of those rare places on the planet where the 'whole' of the experience is greater than the sum of any of its 'parts'. What might be a '..must see/must do..' for YOU, would depend entirely on YOUR own personal preferences, priorities, special needs, interests, etc. What's 'must see/must do' for one, may be "..just kill me now..' for another.

If there is a single "..hike.." that you should probably take (assuming you've no special needs or physical mobility issues), would probably be the portion of SOUTH SHORE PARK, between WARWICK LONG BAY and HORSESHOE BAY (approx. 1½ mile from end-to-end) . You can beachcomb part of the way, down along the foreshore (best to wear some sort of 'water shoe' for climbing over and wading around rocks) and along the paths through the dunes behind and clifftops above this magnificent stretch. There will be magnificent south shore and ocean views 'round every rock, bush and turning along the way...and any number of spots to stop to picnic or just sit, slack-jawed, staring at something incredibly beautiful.

OR...what you could do is take a private BLUE FLAG taxi tour of Bermuda. Rates for these private taxi tours run $40.00/hr. for 1-4 passengers ($50.50/hr..5-6 pass), with a three(3) hour minimum. Most taxi tours will run 3-to-4 hours. BLUG FLAG certified (BLUE FLAG medallion, decal or fender-flag on taxi) taxi tour guides are very knowledgeable about all things '..Bermuda..'...and can often customize your tour to reflect your own personal interests (art & architecture, flora & fauna, general or militarty history, parks & gardens, etc).

North Pole, New York
Level Contributor
7,315 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beach for day

KDKSAIL's information is spot on as usual and has been of considerable help to us in planning a visit to Bermuda next week. I would only add that on our first and only cruise to Bermuda we enjoyed seeing St George, especially the church and grounds, and we enjoyed spending a few hours at nearby Tobacco Bay. Very calm and protected bay with lots of fish around the rockier areas. We actually ferried to Hamilton in the AM, shopped a little there, then took the bus on to St George and ferried back to Hamilton. The ferry ride itself is also a great experience as the views are very nice.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beach for day

The sort of self-directed '..circumnavigation..' of Bermuda by '..land 'n sea..' (via public buses & ferries) that you describe is a grand idea...providing you with wonderful opportunities to see Bermuda's incredible natural beauty as you go, from both landward and seaward perspectives. Just about every minute, of every mile, of every bus and ferry route is just a '..great ride..'.The purchase of the public TRANSPORTATION PASS allows you to '..hop-on/hop-off..' at many places of interest along one's route(s).

Edited: 04 June 2012, 17:11
Northeast...
Level Contributor
7 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beach for day

I just got back yesterday from Bermuda. My first visit. You must see Horseshoe Bay Beach!! It was amazing!!!

Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beach for day

Fairmont Southampton "private" beach. I quote "private" because you don't have to be a guest to go to the beach. Just ride on up and walk onto the beach. They have tons of chairs with nice adjustable awnings (attached to the chair), and they have a bar right there. Great for snorkeling too - just $20 to rent everything for 2 hours.

This beach is literally right next to Horseshoe bay.