We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Bermuda

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Moving to Bermuda

Hi all

As previously posted I (hopefully, work permit being granted!) will be moving out to Bermuda from the UK in mid August.

I'm starting to think about packing and shipping and am wondering if there are any items people think I should definitely pack to bring with me (deff not pack!), which might be difficult/expensive to get hold of?!

I also have read a ton of conflicting information about paying tax on my belongs when i arrive, some sites state that the duty is due on all items, some state that aw i will have a 3 year work permit i will not have to pay tax on items more than 6 months old which will be returning to the uk with me at the end of the stay (some kind of exemption?) can someone shed light ? I would hate to have a ridiculous tax bill the second i arrive which i thought i was exempt from from ruining the start of my adventure!

Also can anyone suggest any long term rental sites that I might have missed on the web? I routinely look at emoo, bermuda realty and my bermuda house but very few properties tend to come up, ideally I would like a shared house (I will not sort out a lease without first arriving in the country, but I at least would like to have some properties in the pipe line to visit when I arrive!)

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Bermuda

Strictly speaking this is a travel forum and not really set up to give advice on moving to Bermuda for a job.

USA
Level Contributor
28,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Bermuda

It seems odd that your prospective employer hasn't offered any sort of relocation assistance...at least in the form of providing you with the relevant INFORMATION and resources for gathering information and complying with HM Immigration and Customs requirements ??...searching for resident housing ??...or perhaps your prospective employer is awaiting the grant of your Work Permit....because without government approval of that Work Permit there is NO job to relocate for.

Though you should contact the relevant authorities DIRECTLY...this may help with some questions (and quite probably give rise to others)

BERMUDA HM CUSTOMS Notice--

PUBLIC NOTICE #28--DUTY FREE ALLOWANCE--Transfer of Residence--

http://tinyurl.com/7klyep6

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Bermuda

Thanks, I have already read this document, which was the reason I thought I would not have tax to pay, but every website/personal experience I read seems to tell me otherwise...

My employer has provided me with information (hence the websites ive looked at above) and discussed other items but at the end of the day they have not been through the process themselves and I am aware of a number of posters on this forum who are expats and have gone through this themselves!

Also they provide support with finding accommodation WHEN i arrive in the country but I have already been warned that this will be a busy time for people finding accommodation, therefore im trying to be "ahead of the game" if you like in terms of having built some contacts in this area.

USA
Level Contributor
28,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Bermuda

As noted above...this is primarily a general tourism forum......have you considered checking the various ex-pat blogs for Bermuda for the more transfer specific sort of information you want ?? These will probably be more productive avenues of inquiry....as example...

expat-blog.com/en/…

or just do a simple Google search, using '..ex-pat blogs, Bermuda..' and sort through the most relevant hits.

For the sort of affordable or shared housing that you seem to be interested in, I think that you'll probably find that Bermuda is the proverbial '..small town..' and most of what inventory of the sort that may be available at any given time will be '.advertised..' via the 'grape vine' and word-of-mouth rather than realtors listings.

Bermuda
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Bermuda

bee, I believe that no duty is payable on goods over 6month old. When we moved to Bermuda we used

http://www.bermudaforwarders.com/

and they looked after all of the paperwork for us.

As KD says above this document is the best place to start

gov.bm/portal/erver.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_10…

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Bermuda

as bermuda runs on 120v 60hz, forget about bringing anything with a cord permanently attached - clock radio, rechargeable electric shaver etc. things like ipods, laptops can be made to work here by buying the appropriate wall plug-to-transformer portion of the power cord. don't bother with your portable dvd player either, dvds sourced locally are a different region code and won't work. your unlocked gsm phone should work with a local sim card .

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Bermuda

Thanks to you both. I hadn't thought of using a service to move, what did they do specifically for you? To be honest I'm not really bringing much, I'm visiting m friends in the states before I travel so my plan was I buy any electrical items there before travelling home then to Bermuda. Or is this not worth it? I'm leaving some luggage in the states and will probably pay for an extra suitcase on my Bermuda flight.

Did you have to prove items were over 6 months old? I worry I won't be able to find receipts for some (iPods, laptop).

Bermuda
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Bermuda

bee we shipped a container over with furniture etc. so were in a different boat from you (excuse the pun!) so you probably won't need their services.

We didn't need receipts for our items but I believe we had to list them and I seem to remember that when I landed at BDA it was important that I got a TRA form but really think you should ring or email customs to make sure you get it right.

By the way following on from sonny's post we have found that electric toothbrushes and laptops work fine with a travel adaptor plug (the ones you get from tescos are just as good as any others) ipod, phone and ipad chargers the same.

Also something we didn't realise is that things like ipads, laptops and kindles need to be registered and you will be given a little yellow ticket for each of them then they can be taken in and out of the country. If you don't do this next time you travel and return to BDA customs may think that you have bought them on your trip and try to charge you duty.

Hamilton, Bermuda
Level Contributor
135 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Bermuda

thanks! useful info to know!

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Bermuda

Hi Bee, I am moving to Bermuda this week and I am having similar concerns to you! How did you find customs when you arrived? Did you need receipts for all items to show they were less than six months old or did they take your word for it?

Also, any house websites you used to find flats, house shares would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! J