We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kings Wharf as a base

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kings Wharf as a base

I have been so fortunate as to be given a cruise to Bermuda. This will be a first for me and a very different approach to travel to a destination. There will be time required for our hosts, but other than the first day, we will have the following two days to ourselves.

I have read about the beautiful beaches and I would like to spend time exploring those, I am also interested in just walking St. Georges and having afternoon tea, is there a good place for tea in St. George's? If not, I believe I read of an afternoon tea at the lighthouse? I really am not interested in shopping.

The thing is, I LOATHE crowds. Counterintuitive when being on a cruise, I realize, however any advice on how to navigate from King's Wharf? Are taxis my best bet? I know that there is a transport pass for the bus and ferries, is there one just for the ferries? I really do not want to spent the little time I have in Bermuda waiting for buses. I realize that this will be more expensive, however if I plan properly and use my feet, hopefully it will just be a roundtrip each day? I would welcome any advice on how to plan so I can accomplish my preferences. I am having trouble understanding how spread out things are. For example, can I go to the beach and then the lighthouse efficiently? Or St. George's and then the lighthouse?

Finally, I will not be an early riser this trip, so I will probably venture out around 11am at the earliest. Any problems with that other than less time on the island? I do not intend to rush back to the boat for dinner.

Thank you very much for any/ all advice.

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

>>>I am also interested in just walking St. Georges and having afternoon tea, is there a good place for tea in St. George's? If not, I believe I read of an afternoon tea at the lighthouse?<<<

Unfortunately the old Lighthouse Tearoom, up at the base of the Gibb's Hill Lighthouse is no longer in business...but the goodnews is that there is a ne tearoom that's recently openned in Saint George's, in Stewart Hall, at the Bermuda Perfumery...'..SWEET P's Pastry & Tearoom..' which has begun serving a proper Afternoon Tea @$24 per person. The bad news (perhaps) is that they only do this on Wednesday and Saturday afternoons--

.http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20120622/BUSINESS03/706229919

If you're looking for a less crowded beach than Horseshoe Bay (especially when there are two large cruise ships berthed at Dockyard)...then take the regular #7--Dockyard-Via South Shore Beaches-Hamilton bus route past Horseshoe Bay to WARWICK LONG BAY/JOBSON COVE. The beach here is as beautiful as Horseshoe Bay...but much less trafficked....If you're willing to work a bit at it, the several semi-secluded, little, rock-crenellated coves and beaches between Horseshoe Bay and Warwick Long Bay are wonderful...best in Bermuda.

The TRANSPORTATION PASS is valid for BOTH public buses and ferries. There is no individual Bus or Ferry pass available. With gas in the $7-$8 per gallon range, taxis in Bermuda are expensive. Public buses and ferries are a great alternative.

Depending on public transportation schedules, it's possible to take the early AM ORANGE route ferry from Dockyard (sorry, 'bout that) to Saint George's (get to the ferry dock early..or else other cruise ship passengers will be ahead of you and may fill up the first run of the day)..spend some time poking around there...then take the bus back to downtown Hamilton (#1 route will be the most '..scenic..'), switch to the #7--Hamilton-Via South Shore beaches route out along the south shore to the stop at HENRY VIII for the road up to the GIBB'S HILL LIGHTHOUSE.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

Thank you very much KDKSAIL. I believe the first day for us is Wednesday, so most likely I will not be able to do that tea. Any other ideas? I know that you recommend the Hamilton Princess, I just don't know that we'll be dressed for that considering we'll have been out and about prior.

Can I take a taxi directly to Warwick Long Bay instead of the ferry?

I may just do the bus thing for St. George's and the lighthouse since you say it's scenic. How much time would you say it takes?

Thanks very much!

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

Frankly...I subscribe to the belief that '..nothing worthwhile ever happens before 10 AM..' (so I seldom feel the least bit of guilt when I look at the clock at 9 AM and then roll over and go back to sleep)...but there are some few places that I'll make exceptions. Bermuda is one of those places.

You don't need to be '..formally dressed..' for the wonderful Afternoon Tea served at the Heritage Court lounge, at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel.

There is a relatively new place-- DOCKYARD PASTRY SHOP-- http://www.cpastrybermuda.com/About_Us.html --where you can probably put together the components of a pleasant Afternoon Tea,

You must've misunderstood. I didn't suggest the ferry to Warwick Long Bay...but rather the regular #7 public bus between Dockyard and Warwick Long Bay/ Jobson's Cove. There is no ferry to there. But, you can certainly take a taxi there from Dockyard. The fare will probably run $30-$33 one-way and take approx. 35 mins. Even if you paid the higher CASH fare for the bus, it would only be $4.50 per person. The bus might take approx. 40 mins.

There are a few ways to get between Dockyard and Saint George's--

--Direct ORANGE--Hamilton-Dockyard-Saint George's ferry route--approx. 45 mins.

--Combination Ferry & Bus--BLUE--Dockyard-Hamilton ferry route to Hamilton (approx. 20-25 mins)...then up to the main bus terminal in Hamilton for the bus to Saint George's--#1, #3, #10 or #11--Hamilton-Saint George's (NOT Hamilton-Grotto Bay..#1 route is the most scenic) approx. 60-65 mins.

--Public Bus--#7 or #8-Dockyard-Hamilton bus route to the main bus terminal in downtown Hamilton (#7 route is the most scenic...approx. 60-65 mins)...then transfer to the #1, #3, #10 or #11--Hamilton-Saint George's bus route (approx. 60-65 mins)

I think that you may be best served by familiarizing yourself with Bermuda's public transportastion system (routes, schedules, etc) to get some sense of where it goes and how it gets from '..I am here..' to '..I want to go there..'. The system diagrams/maps (bus & ferry) routes and schedules may help. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that the system is completely '..idiot proof..'...but if you can figure out how to pass through a revolving door, without audio-visual aids or empty water out of a boot with the instructions written on the sole, then youi'll have absolutely no trouble figuring out how to use the system in Bermuda and make your way about.--

BERMUDA BUS INFO--(Routes, schedules, fares,)--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

BERMUDA FERRY INFO--(Routes, schedules, etc)--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map--(Orientation, lay-out, relative locations)-

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn…

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
155 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

Thanks kdsail!

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

P.S.....Bermuda really does have an excellent public transportation system--buses & ferries--that will take you to--or near to--just about anywhere you may want to go. Buses and ferries are clean, well maintained, relatively convenient and efficient. They also make wonderful '..raised plaforms..' with 'picture windows' (not just an idle expression) to see Bermuda's incredible natural beauty as you go, from both lanward and seawar perspectives.

If you decide to use public transport as your primary mode of personal transport, then purchasing a one-day or multi-day TRANSPORTATION PASS will probably be your most cost effective option. The TRANSPORTATION PASS will provide you with unlimited, '..hop-on/hop-off..' access to all public buses and ferries.

6. Re: Kings Wharf as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 10:15