We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

We're trying to plan a trip to Bermuda and I'm having trouble deciding on a place to stay. So many of the so called better hotels/resorts have quite few negative reviews. Now I understand everything is relative and people can be pretty picky and unreasonable but it's hard to separate fact from fiction sometimes. We want a very nice place that's on a beach and reasonably close to restaurants. We've looked at all the top rated places and I tend to disregard comments about service because its so subjective. But I become concerned when there are comments about a place being outdated or dirty. Can anyone give me an honest objective opinion about a couple of good choices, expensive or not, good location, nice beaches and some access ability to restaurants and shopping. People say the St George area is nice but any help will be appreciated right now. I'm completely lost. Thank you

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

If you are on the beach then access to restaurants, if you mean walking distance, is limited. The same for shopping, you really have to go into Hamilton for that. Which hotel was called outdated and dirty?

What are you expecting when you say really nice? Most reviews are somewhat subjective.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

>>>...Can anyone give me an honest objective opinion...<<<

What makes you think that opinions expressed on this forum would be any more "..honest objective.." that those you've read in TA hotel REVIEWs ??

I'm not sure that we're reading the same Trip Advisor, past guest REVIEWS and comments. The VAST OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of the TA hotel reviews that I've seen tend to be very positive.

For starters, one needs to consider the overall body of information...rather than fixating on the negative....and make allowances for the inherent subjectivity of individual opinion. Perhaps the best way to use the TA review system is to toss out 25% of the most positive and 25% of the most negative reviews (more often than not, these will tell you more about the reviewer than the property or attraction reviewed). The 50% that remains will probably be as close to any sort of '..truth..' as you're likely to find.

For recommendations and suggestions,...DETAILS of personal preferences, priorities, special needs, BUDGET and '..expectations..' MATTER if you want meaningful, well directed recommendations and suggestions. It makes little sense recommending properties in the $500-$700 per night range....if your personal hotel budget is in the $200-$300 price range....any physical mobility issues ??...traveling with children ?? In the absence of not-so-minor-details, then scroll through the HOTEL listings and come up with your own '..short list..' of a couple/few that seem to be a '..fit..' for you....then return for additional information, questions/concerns.

In Bermuda, everything is a trade off. The largest concentration of restaurants, shopping, nightlife will be in downtown Hamilton. Bermuda's best beaches will be out along her magnificent south shore. Most of the south shore beachfront hotels have good-to-very good on-premises dining options. Saint George's is a quaint, quiet, charming, historic '..olde towne..', with a few nice beaches and a few decent restaurants, some shopping and good public transportation (buses & 'seasonal' ferry) connections to the '..rest of Bermuda..'....but these days, there isn't all that much out there.

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

Thanks for your responses and yes I understand about the subjectivity of reviewers. I usually not only read a review but if its negative I read other reviews that person has written to get an understanding of how they review. Some people can't be pleased and others are pleased very easily so throwing out the top and 25 percent is valid.

We're easily pleased. If a place is clean and the location is good, we're usually happy. We don't need over the top service and we understand mistakes happen. We don't get crazy about that petty stuff. To give you a few more specifics, we're both 61 and active. We're celebrating out 40th wedding anniversary and want someplace nice and special. I don't want to spend 700 a night but 5-600 is doable. We'd like a nice beach and pool. We've only been to Bermuda once but that was thirty years ago and we've always wanted to come back because we had such a great time so we understand about the trade off and the setup of the island. We rented scooters back then...not sure if we'll do that this time...well see. We understand the island has probably changed in many ways but the beauty has remained the same and my guess is the people and feel has also. So that's a little about our mindset. I've read reviews on most of the better hotels and looked at their website. So in your humble opinions, if you were in my position, where would you stay...where would you like to stay and why. I've never been disappointed with TA suggestions and I'm confident that won't change. Thank you again.

Succasunna, NJ
Level Contributor
350 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

KD....to your point about why I think opinions expressed on the forum might be different than TA reviews of hotel sights.....my feeling is that sometimes people have an ax to grind or are venting about a specific situation. And let's be honest, some reviews are planted. I've seen that before. I think the reviewers on the boards, while they may be a little bias, are more honest and have a more complete understanding of the questions being asked. That's why some are TA experts for their location.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
347 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

Given your interests, I suggest you look at the Reefs. It is on the beach, small enough to provide a personalized standard of service, and is generally well regarded. You will not be able to walk to many restaurants save those at the Lighthouse, near Horseshoe Bay, or at the Fairmont. I am assuming you are in relatively good physical condition. Most of the shopping is in Hamilton. St. George has relatively little shopping and fewer restaurant choices than Hamilton.

Other options for you might be Coco Reef, Cambridge Beaches, Pompano and Newstead (not on the ocean, has a great harbor view). In town I would go with either Rosedon or Royal Palms. Wile not on the ocean, they are both well situated to walk to stores or restaurants.

Happy anniversary.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

Taletimes, you asked exactly the same question I had wanted to, so I hope you wont mind if I jump into your thread!

It sounds like my husband and I have basically the same interests/criteria as you in choosing a hotel. I am stuck trying to decide between elbow beach and the reefs, but tending toward elbow beach because it seems just a bit closer to Hamiliton for dinner if desired, the idea of low rise cottage rooms appeals to me, and walking access to horseshoe bay and the adjoining beaches is a plus.

Anyone care to give an opinion on which they would choose if they were a 50-ish couple looking for a relaxing long weekend in April where they could relax in beautiful surrounding, walk/hike many beaches, and enjoy a good cocktail and meals conveniently? Reefs w/dine around plan or Elbow Beach?

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

Both would be fine on some counts not on others. It's quite a hike from Elbow Beach to Horseshoe Bay. April is not officially considered beach weather but in my experience is warm enough to spend some time on the beach even if the water is too cold for swimming.

It's a personal choice, weigh the pros and the cons.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

>>>... Some people can't be pleased and others are pleased very easily so throwing out the top and 25 percent is valid...<<<

I've worked with a handicapping/rating system (light years away from hotel ratings) for years that applies a '..25% high/low throw-out..' factor as part of its 'system' and always been amazed at how close the 'formula' comes to reasonable/reliable '..accuracy..', given inherent flaws in the end-user submitted data.

>>>...sometimes people have an ax to grind or are venting about a specific situation. And let's be honest, some reviews are planted...<<<

That's certainly true...but more often than not, the '..axe grinders..' usually give themselves away and the oh-so-clever '..plants..' aren't anywhere near to being ' so-clever' as they believe. For the most part, there isn't much of this sort of thing on this TA-Bermuda site...and when it's attempted, it usually blares out out at ya' like a klaxon......'..Danger, Will Robinson...Danger..'.

Given that the largest concentration of alternative dining options (all types, cuisines, prices) is located in downtown Hamilton...and...Bermuda's best beaches and beachfront hotels are located out along her magnificent south shore. On average, there will be approx. 30 minute ride between most of the south shore hotels and downtown Hamilton. So, there really aren't any beachfront hotels that offer both great beaches and walking comfortable strolling/walking distances to alternative dining options.

As a compromise for great beach, proximity to alternate dining, shopping, nightlife options and budget....take a look at COCO REEF RESORT-- http://www.cocoreefbermuda.com/ --located approx. 12-15 minutes from downtown Hamilton via public bus, rental motor scooter or taxi...located at the eastern end (prettiest end) of the world famous Elbow Beach. In addition to the on-premises dining at CCRR (good but nuthin' 'special'), there are also the dining options available a short stroll (100-150 yards) along the beach to the adjacent Elbow Beach Hotel.

For a charming small hotel, within easy strolling distance of downtown Hamilton, with free limited-schedule shuttle service to/from the public portion of Elbow Beach with vouchers for free beach umbrellas and chaise lounge, check out ROSEDON HOTEL-- http://www.rosedon.com/ There's no on-premises restaurant at Rosedon but a full, limited menu breakfast and a lovely, light afternoon tea service is included in the rate.

USA
Level Contributor
28,262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

I forgot to mention that COCO REEF RESORT, will also be located a short and very pleasant bus (or scooter) ride (5-25 mins) from all of the other great, public beaches--ASTWOOD COVE...WARWICK LONG BAY...JOBSON'S COVE...STONEHOLE BAY...CHAPLIN BAY... HORSESHOE BAY...CHURCH BAY--along Bermuda's magnificent south shore.

10. Re: Why are there so many negative hotel reviews.....please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 04:18