We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

We will be staying at Rosedon Hotel, and plan to use their free

transportation to the beach (next to Elbow Beach).

I thought I remembered in times past that there were beach chairs

and umbrellas for us. I cannot remember if I rented them or if

Rosedon had them for us.

But in a recent review it stated there is no availability to chairs on

the beach.

I also seem to remember beach chairs for hire at Horseshoe Beach.

Any information on this?

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

ROSEDON provides a free, limited-schedule shuttle service between the hotel and the public portion of Elbow Beach....but unfortunately, this year they've discontinued the vouchers for free rental of chaise lounge and beach umbrella, from the rental concessionaire at the public portion of Elbow Beach. You may still rent chaises and umbrellas from the concessionaire there at additional charge.

Yes...there is a concessionaire at Horseshoe Bay that rents chairs, umbrellas, basic snorkeling gear, full bathroom/changing room, basic 'beach food'....

There is a concessionaire at Warwick Long Bay that rents chaise and umbrellas as well.

There's a concessionaire at Church Bay (best 'snorkeling-from-the-beach') that rents basic snorkeling gear, basic beach 'snacks' and beverages.

Out in Saint George's, at Tobacco Bay, there's a concessionaire that rents chairs, umbrellas, basic snorkeling gear...full bathrooms/changing rooms, basic 'beach food'.

Texas
Level Contributor
259 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

KDK Sail,

Thanks so much for all your helpful advice. I just started looking at this forum today for our trip next week. As an expert on this forum, where do you recommend for the best snorkeling for beginners? Also, do you recommend renting the equipment or purchasing our own before we leave home? I noticed at Target that a snorkel set (Speedo brand) is around $30. I am sure this is not a great set, but that is just what I saw today.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

For snorkeling from the beach, for beginners...you should probably start out the TOBACCO BAY, at Bermuda's far east-end, behind the olde towne of Saint George's. Tobacco Bay is well sheltered (flat/calm) by both the broad, offshore barrier reef system and the rocks that separate it from open water and also create an interesting marine habitat. There's a concessionaire here that rent basic snorkeling gear, full bathroom/changing room, basic 'beach food' (Buzz Café)

For the best snorkeling from-the-beach, make your way out to CHURCH BAY along Bermuda's magnificent south shore. Church Bay is relatively well protected by a '..crescent..' of broken reef and rock and dotted with coral heads, 'boilers' and rocks that make for an interesting marine habitat. Depending on the state of the tide and general sea state there will be mild to moderate '..swell..'. For beginners, the best time to snorkel here will usually be at Low Tide (check listings in the '..Weather..' section of the Royal Gazette or download and print out one of the on-line Tide Tables to use as a rough guide.

If you go out to Elbow Beach, the snorkeling will be '..okay..' (better if you make your way to the ends of the beach (beyond Coral Beach & Tennis Club to the west and Coco Reef Resort to the east)...with mild-to-moderate surf and swell.

For the best snorkeling in Bermuda you'll need to get out to the offshore reef and 'Sea Garden'. To do this, you'll probably have to sign on with one of the several snorkeling excursion operators--Fantasea, Jesse James, etc.

If you plan to spend some time snorkeling at different spots, then buying and bringing you own gear is the best option. Use 'em twice in Bermuda and you'll recover your purchase price. You can make do from the beach with just mask and snorkel (some sort of light 'water shoe' might also be a good idea) if you don't want to drag bulkier fins along...and snorkel excursion operators have fins if you go out into open water.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

OK I am back from a 99.9 % wonderful trip, once again, to Bermuda. Stayed at the Rosedon Hotel as before. My experiences were once again top notch. Except for one "glitch". We took the shuttle to Elbow Beach, and my daughter and I looked for the beach chair rentals. (I am age 76). There was another mother/daughter team in our shuttle group., mother even older. We hiked along the beach to our right, and we were told that the chaise and umbrellas were for Coral Beach members only. So we HIKED back to Elbow Beach where we were told the same thing : chairs were for residents only. There we were. Finally Elbow beach agreed to rent to us, - - - -$65.

The next time we went to the beach we rode the bus to Horseshoe Beach. Here the chairs were readily available, and umbrellas. Much more reasonable. Yes, we did pay a refundable fee security charge, but that was acceptable. In the future, and yes, we will most likely always choose to be guests at Rosedon, but we will opt out of the beach at Elbow. I prefer to relax on a beach chair.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

Do the people at Rosedon know about this? I thought that there was a concession renting chairs etc at Elbow Beach.

Bowie, Maryland
Level Contributor
352 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

I did mention it on my check-out questionnaire. I did not speak face to face with Rosedon's staff.

It is just a matter of being fore-warned so you can make your choices.

USA
Level Contributor
28,362 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

Sorry about that....There's been a concessionaire at the public access area of Elbow Beach for years/decades. When I spoke with the ladies at Rosedon a couple/few of weeks ago, they confirmed that the vouchers for chaise & umbrellas were no longer offered...but I never thought to ask them about the concessionaire.

Even for Bermuda, $65 per person for a chaise, umbrella and an 'artfully draped' beach towel at EBH beach club is a bit much....Even more so, since just down the beach, Coco Reef Resort offers a '..day pass..' to non-guests that includes a two-course lunch, free glass of wine or beer, use of the hotel pool & facilities, beach chaise, umbrella, towel (though probably not 'artfully draped' over your chaise by the beach staff) for $45 per person.

8. Re: Beach chairs / umbrella available ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 07:19