We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone use

Marblehead
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone use

Is it possible to use an iPhone in Bermuda for local calls, calls to the U.S. and for web use? AT&T is our provider. Huge extra charges?

USA
Level Contributor
27,309 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone use

es...though the process involves either signing up with a local cel service provider in Bermuda...or...signing up with a Voice Over Internet (VoIP) provider at home and accessing the internet in Bermuda via WiFi (some scattered free WiFi service...mostly secured-pay service-- TBi WiFi-- http://www.telebermuda.com/residential/wifi/ ).

So the question is...How much do you need your cel phone, while on vacation in Bermuda ??...and...How many hoops are you willing to jump through to use it ??.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 20:43
Marblehead
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone use

Not into hoop jumping! Thanks for the info - I'll know to leave the phone in my bag until we get back home.

United States
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone use

Check the AT&T website as they have a couple inexpensive plans. We got the messaging plan & we were able to text to the USA & text each other in Bermuda as we were not always together. One plan was $10 & the other $30. They also have some internet plans but I was not interested so I can help with that.

Marblehead
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone use

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it.

madsion, ct
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone use

I just travelled there with my AT&T iPhone. I paid $10 for 50 texts and ended up not using it. I tried one and it wouldn't go through. We had wifi in our apt and communicated through email and Facebook. That was enough. There was also a plan for $30(?) that would "reduce" your cell charges to $2/min. I didn't opt for that. Usage without the add on was $2.50 per minute. I carried the phone with me for emergencies and luckily never had to use it. It was a great extra camera. Also don't forget to turn off cellular data in settings when you arrive or will will be charged big money just by having the phone turned on.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 14:44
Marblehead
Level Contributor
107 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone use

Thank you SO much for reminding me to turn off cellular data. I now remember that from when we went to Switzerland, but I guess I thought that because Bermuda is so much closer it wouldn't apply. I now know the facts.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone use

if you want to use your phone here, chances are you have to call your provider to turn roaming on. the other option is to buy a pre-pay sim card for your phone when you get here. you'll have a bermuda number and you'll be able to call and text home and access email and other apps, but your phone has to unlocked, something your provider can do.

florida
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone use

Before we left to go to BDA the last time I bought an inexpensive unlocked phone from Amazon. When we got there I went to Digicel (St. George's or Hamilton) and for $30 they put in a Sim card and gave me $20 in calls/texts . When the $20 ran out I found you can get refill cards in most grocery stores. If i remember correctly it was 45 cents to send a text and all incoming texts were free. It worked for me and I didn't have to bother worrying about using my US phone. If you go back and your $ and time has expired you just buy a new Sim card. I call that my BDA phone and don't use it for anything else.

USA
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone use

Skype! Install Skype on your laptop or smartphone. Pennies on the minute to call. Just connect to wifi (hotels typically free for us) and make all the calls you want. I've never paid cellular or landline crazy fees.

10. Re: Cell phone use

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:17