We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling visibility?

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling visibility?

Just got back from a half day boat trip! Took it out to the Vixen and the gardens up there. A good amount of corals, but to be quite honest, a little disappointing. There weren't a lot of fish (other than at the vixen itself where a large school of gray fish people feed bread to) and the visibility is lacking. Now I know that the higher water temperature = less visibility, but I guess I expected better. So my question is, Jesse James snorkeling trip is highly recommended and they go further out that a boat rental can't reach, but if the visibility is going to be the same, it won't be worth it. Anybody have any experience with this?

By the way, it was an awesome boat trip regardless! Great weather and nice calm seas! I rented from Aquatic Bermuda (as I am staying in Hamilton) and they were terrific. Might do it again before I leave at the end of week.

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Most excursion boats will take you out to the reef areas and 'Sea Gardens' that are not really accessible by rental boats.

JESSE JAMES is a first rate operation but it tends to be best suited to those who've never snorkeled and novices. You might want to sign on with one of the excursions offered by FANTASEA or SNORKEL BERMUDA

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

I went to Coopers island nature preserve last Thursday and I have never seen the water so murky. I didn't snorkel too much as I couldn't see much. I thought the coral may have been spawning but usually you see small red specs. I just saw very murky water, never seen it like it like that before. Still fed all the fish from my hands. The cow pollys, pompano, chubs, breams. If I don't bring food they bite me. There were a lot of jacks around on Thursday and as usual so many beautiful parrot fish my favourite being the Queen parrotfish. I have seen quite a few grouper there too. Love it as it has so many beaches with so few people.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

KDKSail, thanks I'll take a look at those two companies...you're right, I'm looking for more advanced snorkeling areas.. Kensington, I'm unclear as to what you are saying. Are you saying that the water is murky, but still good? What are jacks? Which beach are you referring to? I'm hoping I can get to a great beach to snorkel...even Church Bay didn't have a lot of fish and visibility was bad (though a lot of waves too).

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Go through the gate at Coopers island take the path over the hill as you are coming down you will see a large beach on the left. Go to the end of that beach. You will see a large rock that goes out into the water and has a large sign on it. The snorkeling is usually great on the left side but as it was so murky went to the right side and saw lots of fish as it is shallow there. If you go take some bread to feed the fish, very cool experience. There are seven great beaches in that area if you include Clearwater and Turtle bay. When you go to Church bay you need to go out to the two rocks that are just off to the right. It is a bit of a swim but it is usually breathtaking when the water is clear. Jacks are game fish and travel in schools.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
309 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

I lived in Bermuda, and whenever we had guests we took them on a Fantasea or Snorkel Bermuda trip. They are very good.

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Thanks all! Kensington, I'll look up Coopers island and report back.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Please report back and maybe do some reviews of the trips! We went to Vixen last year and were very disappointed by the clarity and variety of fish, not into fish feeding. .

USA
Level Contributor
28,171 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Water Temp certainly has an effect on visibility. When snorkeling in shallower inshore waters, general sea state and the set of the tide will also effect visibility and surface waves and swell. Spots like Church Bay (still the best spot to snorkel-from-the-beach in Bermuda) are best at or around Low Tide.The '..crescent..' of broken reef and rock that form the outer boundary of Church Bay tend to 'shelter' it...helping to 'break-up' wave formation and swell. There's less disturbance/churning on the bottom and wave/swell action on the surface. Do you happen to recall the set of the tide during your recent visit ??

Boston...
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Honu_Ohana, here is my trip report. Hope this helps.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147255-i208-k6784…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
13,740 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling visibility?

Yes, indeed! Thanks again and happy snorkeling to all!