We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
586 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

How easy is it to get to these parks and how much of an "adventurer" do you need to be to explore them? My husband and I like to explore while on vacation, but only to an extent. We are by no means "adventurers". If we do go, how much time do we need to allot for the parks and how easy is it to get around and find our way once we are in the parks. Also, are they well traveled or will we often find ourselves alone? Thanks for the help.

USA
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

It is as "..easy.." to access the adjoining TOM MOORE'S 'JUNGLE' / WALSHINGHAM NATURE RESERVE / BLUE HOLE PARK as it is almost anywhere in Bermuda. It's as simple as boarding any #1 or #3 public bus. The easi-est access is probably from the access point at TOM MOORE"S TAVERN restaurant, along Harrington Sound Road. There is a public bus stop right there. I use the term '..easi-est..'; because the footpaths through these natural preserves trend mainly downhill from here.

I couldn't begin to estimate how long it might take you to visit these natural attractions. That would depend entirely on how '..interesting..' you find '..nature..'...flora, fauna, caves, etc.. But at a minimum, I'd say that it would take approx. one(1) hour to stroll directly through them along the footpaths from top-to-bottom.

These are '..nature reserves..'...intended to preserve Bermuda as it might've been several hundred years ago, before shipwrecked survivors and their descendants began '..developing..' her. The footpaths through them are well maintained but un-paved. Anyone who is reasonably 'fit' (no special physical mobility issues) can navigate these footpaths without difficulty. One of the '..attractions..' of '..nature preserves..' is that they are relatively un-trafficked...and so you are very likely to find yourselves "..alone.." among their **NATURAL** attractions to explore and enjoy them and experience a bit of '..how things used to be..' before 'civilization' arrived. If you're hoping for something more '..civilized..', (with paved walkways, bathrooms, gift shop, pay-phones, restaurant/snackbar) then perhaps you should try Bermuda's BOTANIC GARDEN or NATIONAL ARBORETUM.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

As KD stated the paths are unpaved, so depending on the weather, they could be muddy. Wear shoes you don't mind getting dirty.

I hope others will weigh in on this. In the 'old' days we felt we could go most anywhere in Bermuda and feel safe. Now we are much more reticent about being alone in relatively out of the way areas such as Blue Hole and Hog Bay Parks. Spittal Pond, also not heavily visited, feels 'safer' to us because it is so wide open. There is plenty to see there too, so you may want to consider it as well.

USA
Level Contributor
27,100 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

>>>...I hope others will weigh in on this. In the 'old' days we felt we could go most anywhere in Bermuda and feel safe. Now we are much more reticent about being alone in relatively out of the way areas...<<<

Bermuda is a bit less '..safe..' than it used to be on the '..old days..'...but then so is just about everywhere. It's also worth noting that in the '..old days..' we were a LOT younger...and perhaps a bit less prone to fear. All of these years later Bermuda is STILL a REMARKABLY SAFE destination...even its '..jungle..'. I'd be MUCH more concerned about older, more quickly fatigued legs and the trips and falls that occasionally result...than bogeymen in the bushes.

4. Re: Toms Moores Forest and Blue Hole Park on our Own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:19