We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
373 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

Hi all,

My husband and I plus two other couples will be at Cambridge Beaches in three weeks. Usually I research a trip thoroughly, but because the other couples have been to Bermuda several times, I have been relying on them for information and an itinerary.

However, now that it's almost here, I'm getting excited and don't want to miss out on anything. So, I'm asking you experts for any tips. We are only going for 4 nights, which doesn't give us a lot of time. So far, we're planning to rent a boat for an afternoon, take the ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton, and visit Horseshoe Bay. The guys are also going to golf one afternoon. Are there any unique sights we really shouldn't miss? Any great shopping? We are in our fifties and are very active. My husband and I like to snorkel. Should we bring our own equipment? Thanks so much for any advice.

USA
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

There are some interesting shopping opportunities in Bermuda--Island Shop, Irish Linen Shop, Calypso, Cecile, Bluck's and perhaps a few others--but...since the big Smith's and Trimingham's stores closed a few years ago, much of the 'attraction' of shopping in Bermuda is in the past.

If the guys are golfing, the wives could indulge themselves is the spa facilities at the excellent, on-premises, OCEAN SPA-- cambridgebeaches.com/d/cambridgebeaches/medi… --at Cambridge Beaches....or you could go off-premises to the excellent WILLOW STREAM SPA-- fairmont.com/southampton-bermuda/… --at the Fairmont Southampton Hotel.

...or...you could arrange to hire a BLUE FLAG certified taxi tour guide for a private taxi tour of Bermuda...stopping for a leisurely lunch somewhere along the way. BLUE FLAG taxi tour guides are all VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE about all things Bermuda. They can usually 'customize' their tours to highlight your own individual interests (art & architecture, Flora & fauna, general/military history, parks & gardens, etc).and can probably show even multi-repeat visitors to Bermuda something that they haven't seen or heard of before.

As an alternative to the beach at Cambridge Beraches...instead of/in addition to Horseshoe Bay, to visit a different south shore beach try contacting the COCO REEF RESORT-- http://www.cocoreefbermuda.com/ --about their '..day pass..' offer...which includes a two-course lunch with a complimentary wine or beer, use of their beach & pool facilities facilities, chaise, umbrella, towels, etc...$49 per person.

If you go out to visit Horseshoe Bay, walk east along the foreshore ('water shoes' would be a good idea for climbing over or wading 'round rocks) and/or the footpaths through the dunes behind and the cliff tops above one of the very best walks (approx. 1½ mi.) in Bermuda (or anywhere else for that matter) with absolutely spectacular, '..take-your-breath-away..' ocean and south shore views 'round every bend, rock or bush along the way. This walk will take you through or above a string of lovely little, semi-secluded, rock-crenellated coves and beaches to the long (1/2 mi) thin, strand of pink sand at WARWICK LONG BAY.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
373 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

KDKSAIL,

Wow, thank you for such great information. Excellent ideas, so excited to go!

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

If heading for horseshoe bay beach you could also walk to the lovely south shore beaches.

You could head for Port Royal Cove, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay or Jobson’s Cove.

Maybe have some Italian food at Tio Pepe.

USA
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

You could also do your own, self-directed '..circumnavigation..' of Bermuda by '..land 'n sea..' using Bermuda's genuinely excellent public transportation system--buses and ferries. The system is easy to figure out and use with little more than a copy of the ubiquitous free and readily available BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map tourist map, a printed copy of the public BUS & FERRY SCHEDULES and a TRANSPORTATION PASS (probably available for sale at the front desk of Cambridge Beaches). The Transportation Pass provides you with convenient '.. hop-on/hop-off..' access to all public bus and ferry routes. Public buses and ferries make great '..raised platforms..' to see Bermuda's incredible beauty, from both landward and seaward perspectives, as you go.

As example....make your way from Cambridge Beaches to the ROYAL NAVAL DOCKYARD complex (approx. 10-15 mins) and 'hop-on' an early morning ORANGE--Dockyard-Saint George's public ferry route to the 'olde towne' of SAINT GEORGE'S at Bermuda's far eastern end (approx. 40-45 mins...out along Bermuda's north shore, 'round her east-end and through into Saint George's Harbour). Spend some time poking 'round Saint George's.....then 'hop-on' a #1--Saint George's-Hamilton public bus (most scenic) heading back toward downtown HAMILTON. Along the way you can stop at the original SWIZZLE INN for lunch-- http://www.swizzleinn.com/ --and/or at the CRYSTAL & FANTASY CAVES attraction-- http://www.caves.bm/ --from the Caves, 'hop-on' a #3--Saint George's-Hamilton bus and 'hop-off' at the BERMUDA AQUARIUM & ZOO attraction-- http://www.bamz.org/ --from here 'hop-on' any bus bus route (#3, #10 or #11) heading to downtown HAMILTON....spend some time poking 'round downtown Hamilton...then EITHER...'hop-on' and #7--Hamilton-Via South Shore Beaches-Dockyard bus for the ride back to Cambridge Beaches out along Bermuda's magnificent south shore, with '..take-your-breath-away..' ocean and south shore views along the route...OR...'hop-on' a BLUE--Hamilton-Dockyard ferry to DOCKYARD, out through Hamilton Harbour and across the Great Sound to DOCKYARD, then either #7 or #8 bus back to Cambridge Beaches. With the public TRANSPORTATION PASS you can simply 'hop-on' or 'hop-off' as you go.

BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map--(Orientation, lay-out, relative locations)

gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn…

BERMUDA BUS INFO--(Routes, schedules, fares)--

www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt…

BERMUDA FERRY INFO--(Routes, schedules)--

http://www.seaexpress.bm/

Edited: 18 September 2013, 16:08
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

I am a big fan of the Ocean Spa at Cambridge Beaches. Their services are very professional and reasonably priced. Be sure and ask for specials. The indoor pool is lovely and in my experience uncrowded.

I also enjoy walking a very nice segment of the Bermuda Railway Trail near the property. Have a wonderful trip. Bermuda is another world.

Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

If you don't mind 185 steps, I'd highly recommend going up the Gibbs lighthouse on your way to Horseshoe bay. You see fantastic views of the whole island.

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
373 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

Thank you all for such valuable advice and the links. Wish we had a week instead of 4 nights!! We love to walk so this sounds like the perfect island to go on long ones. Later, a nice massage followed by dinner...Paradise!!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
148 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

Just returned from 2 weeks in Bermuda. We spent a lovely afternoon renting a boat from Somerset Bridge Water Sports which is very near to Cambridge Beaches Matthew: 441-234-0914 to reserve. Explored many coves, beached for a picnic lunch and swam off Pompano Beach. 4 hours $165 total. Very reasonable.

USA
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

>>>...My husband and I like to snorkel. Should we bring our own equipment? Thanks so much for any advice....<<<

For the best snorkeling-from-the-beach in Bermuda, head out to CHURCH BAY along the south shore (approx. 15 mins east of Cambridge Beaches). If packing and carrying your own gear is too bulky, just try packing your own masks and snorkels and leave the fins at home.

Edited: 20 September 2013, 16:04
bermuda
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying at Cambridge Beaches in 3 weeks, any tips?

Lobster dinner at freeport seafood restaurant in dockyard not far from Cambridge