We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Trip

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
February Trip

I am tentatively planning a trip to Bermuda in early February with my 12yo son. Our trip will probably just be a long weekend. I know the weather isn't at its best for beach going at that time and that's not a concern for us. We are mainly interest in sightseeing, activities and cultural aspects of the trip. I am wondering where the best area would be for us to stay? It would be nice to be able to walk from our hotel to at least some points of interest. Would a moped be recommended or should we just rely on public transportation?

Thanks, Tim

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February Trip

"..points of interest.." are scattered all over Bermuda. With this in mind, I'm inclined to recommend that you '..base..' yourselves in or around downtown Hamilton. Hamilton is the practical center of tiny Bermuda...has the largest concentration of alternative dining (all types, cuisines, prices), shopping, nightlife and perhaps most importantly, is the nexus for Bermuda's excellent public transportation system--buses and ferries. All but one of the public transportation system's public bus and ferry routes begin/end in downtown Hamilton. This will make getting out 'n about ('points of interest', beaches, etc) a lot easier and convenient. Public buses and ferries will take you to--or near to--just about anywhere you'll want to go in Bermuda. They also make great '..raised platforms..' to see Bermuda's incredible natural beauties and charms--from both landward and seaward perspectives--as you go.

Rental motor scooters are an alternative....**IF** you feel up to the demands of local traffic, on the '..wrong..' side of the road, with your 12 year old son aboard...this at your own discretion and personal judgment. From a practical point of view, winter weather in Bermuda (February is most definitely '..winter..' in Bermuda) is a lot more un-predictable, which may make riding motor scooters a more '..iffy..' proposition.

London
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: February Trip

Local scooter hire firms like Elbow Beach Cycles can give people safety tips on riding a moped if they are unfamiliar with it. They are very safety conscious. They can show you how to handle a moped.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
712 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February Trip

... February weather could be a delightful surprise ... or not ... Hamilton is a good bet for a first time short stay. Buses and ferries will take you anywhere you could imagine. Check with Mrs T at Elbow Beach Cycles on the question of scootering ... she will steer you straight. Enjoy!

4. Re: February Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2013, 00:05
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: February Trip

Thanks KDKSAIL,

I think we will forgo the scooter. Didn't think my son would be real keen on the idea anyhow, but I did like the thought of driving on the opposite side.

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February Trip

A couple of great small hotels at the edge of downtown Hamilton (a short stroll/walk to downtown Hamilton and public bus & ferry terminals) are--

ROSEDON HOTEL--(a personal favourite & preference)

http://www.rosedon.com/

ROYAL PALMS HOTEL--

http://www.royalpalms.bm/

Ordinarily I might've included the larger, FAIRMONT HAMILTON PRINCESS HOTEL-- http://www.fairmont.com/hamilton-bermuda/ --but this otherwise great property will be in a state of on-going renovation/construction for a while and so perhaps not the best choice under the circumstances. Nevertheless, it may be worthwhile keeping on eye on the Hamilton Princess for special promotions and '..sales..' (due perhaps to the renovations/construction). If you can get a really great nightly 'special' rate, it may be worth putting up with some inconvenience for a brief stay.

Edited: 23 September 2013, 20:03
7. Re: February Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2014, 06:21