We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting groceries

northern virginia
Level Contributor
26 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Getting groceries

We are thinking of renting a house for a week in August. I've read some of the topics about places to get groceries, prices, and some very good suggestions for what to bring from home (non-perishables, S&P, for example). We are not allowed a car rental, so do you take cabs to the store? I can't see carrying groceries on a moped. Is there delivery? Do some houses come with a service that will fill your shopping order? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I am trying to figure out the logistics of doing a house stay versus a full-service hotel option.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting groceries

Some owners of rentals offer to do a shop for you if you email them a list. Pay them when you arrive. You can ask the taxi driver to stop for a few minutes at a market on your way from the airport. We carry a couple of bags on the bus without a problem. Take a few basics with you, no fruit or vegetables or dairy, and you should be fine.

Let us know where you will be staying and we can help with more specific information.

USA
Level Contributor
27,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting groceries

Private rentals are for the more '..independent traveler..'. There's a '..price..' you'll pay for the substantial '..savings..' of a private rental. As noted above...SOME private rental owners MAY '..stock-the-larder..' with basics to get you started if you make pre-arrangements with them but this is on an individual basis rather than any sort of regular service. To the best of my knowledge, there's no longer any regular grocery delivery services operating in Bermuda. Most private rental clients will use their first, day-of-arrival to deal with housekeeping/administrative details--grocery shopping, Transportation Pass/motor scooter rental(s), etc. As noted above, the location of your private rental property and the day-of-the-week of your arrival, etc. will have a lot to do with how best to deal with these not-so-minor 'housekeeping/administrative' details. As you've visited Bermuda before, you'll at least be familiar with the geography and how to get 'round.

Toronto
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting groceries

Dear NorthernVirginiaMomo: If you do rent mopeds, you'll find that most of them have a basket on the front forks and a storage compartment underneath the seat (where the helmet is stored while you're parked). Some will have a small clip in front of your knees where you can hang a grocery bag. While not a lot of space you should be able to manage some basics groceries.

Have a great trip

Bill

nh
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting groceries

I've always found that stopping the cab from the airport to your rental is the best option.

It requires the discipline, however, to postpone your settling in/ beach time.

I have been to Bermuda 8 times, and this has worked for me.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
700 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting groceries

My last few stays have been at self catered cottages (Greenbank) and worked out great! The scooter baskets and shopping bags on buses/ferries were adequate to keep my pantry functioning ... there are lots of markets on the island so check with your rental company on which is most convenient. I used to bring my favorite coffee (Illy) but Bermuda has it all ... albeit $$$$. Enjoy!

Melrose...
Level Contributor
8 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting groceries

I just read your advice about getting groceries for a stay at a self-catering place. We are also staying at Greenbank this April. Is there a place near by for groceries? Any suggestions about the area? It's our first trip to Bermuda and we will not be using mopeds, hubby and I are both in the senior set.

Edited: 09 February 2014, 22:53
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
700 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting groceries

... good choice Maureen ... the Ashtons are wonderful hosts! Without scooters you have 2 ways to grocery shop ... taxi to Lindo's on Middle road... or the ferry to Miles Market in Hamilton ... both the Greenbank and Miles Market are very near ferry stops. Miles can be a bit $$$ but everything is so in Bermuda ... even so self catered is a great value over always eating out. If you are expecting to do lots of cooking check with the Ashtons to get one of the harbor view cottages as they have better equipped kitchens ... enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
27,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting groceries

The nearest supermarket to Greenbank is a LINDO'S-- http://www.lindos.bm/ -- located up on the Middle Road (nr: Keith Hall Rd....#8 bus route).

But in practical terms, you'll probably rely more on the PINK--Hamilton-Paget-Warwick harbor ferry route between the SALT KETTLE ferry dock (50-75 yard stroll down the lane from Greenbank) and the main ferry terminal in downtown Hamilton. The ONLY thing wrong with this is that the ferry ride across the Hamilton Harbour isn't nearly long enough (the boat ride--10-15 mins--is THAT pretty you'll want to stay aboard 'n go 'round again).

With this in mind...there's a smaller SUPERMART-- http://www.supermart.bm/--locateed out along Front Street (out across from the commercial docks) and a couple of MARKET PLACE supermarkets-- www.marketplace.bm/marketplace/locations.jsp --located a couple of blocks to the east (to your left as you look toward the harbor) of the main Bus terminal (next to City Hall) along Victoria Street (at: Brunswick) and along Church Street (nr. Burnaby St.).

The nearest supermarket to the main Freey terminal in downtown Hamilton will be the MILES MARKET-- http://www.miles.bm/Miles/index.html --located down an alleyway (toward the harbor) approx. 500 yards west (to your right as you face the harbor) along Pitts Bay Road (Front St extention) within the large WATERFRONT office/condo complex (across from the Mies van der Rohe Bacardi HQ building). MILES MARKET is Bermuda's '..gourmet market..' and not the cheapest place in Bermuda to shop but...it has the very best Prepared Foods, Deli, Desserts and Bakery sections in Bermuda....for pickin' up the fixin's for a positively wonderful picnic lunch or supper.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 00:09
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,736 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting groceries

The little coffee shop at the ferry dock in Hamilton is also handy for getting a sandwich, cold drinks, coffee and a small selection of very good pastries and cake. When I stay at Greenbank I'm usually on my own so it's perfect to pick up something to take over on the ferry to Greenbank. I don't always want to eat out or cook.

We take a few staples with us from home to tide us over until we can go food shopping. You can also ask the taxi driver to stop for a few minutes at a supermarket on your way from the airport.

Edited: 10 February 2014, 01:07
10. Re: Getting groceries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20