We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Planning a potential getaway to Bermuda in May, but have uncovered some odd information about the state of the luxury travel industry there. Currently Amex only lists Elbow Beach and Tucker's Point in their Fine Hotels collection. Elbow Beach has a very inconsistent record here on TA, with pictures of rusty furniture and word that the Mandarin management contract is up. Tucker's Point is apparently in receivership after a quick Google search and one can only wonder what that means about the future quality or morale of service there. The Fairmont resorts are said to be rather dated and recently under new ownership. Does that mean Bermuda is in a transition state? Is there not a single, solid 5 star luxury resort or boutique hotel? From what I've read it sounds like it. Not sure I'll find anyone sympathetic here, I've faced stiff pushback to luxury related posts in the past.

USA
Level Contributor
27,309 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

TUCKER'S POINT HOTEL & SPA-- http://tuckerspoint.com/ --is Bermuda's newest (opened 2009) hotel and Bermuda's only (arguably) 5-star (only just) hotel/resort property. The '..down-sized..' ELBOW BEACH HOTEL is a 4-star hotel/resort property. So if you must have a 5-star hotel, than Tucker's Point is pretty much '..it..' in Bermuda.

The question is...Are you coming to Bermuda for the hotel ??...or...Are you coming for Bermuda ?? If the first, then Tucker's Point will probably serve your purpose just fine. But...if the second then the number of '..stars..' assigned to your hotel is a LOT less important. Would you rather stay in a 5-star hotel, in a 3-star destination ??...or...a 4-star hotel serve in a 5-star destination ?? That RESORT BERMUDA. So give some more thought to your priorities...and a bit more thought to your destination ??

New York City, New...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Thanks for your response, but I'm a little confused about the second half. Are you saying Tucker's Point is not a good location on Bermuda and that Elbow's Point is a better? Not sure how to read that.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Are you going for the 5* hotel or are you going for Bermuda? That's how I read it. We always rent or stay in smaller accommodation, guest houses or cottage colony type places. The whole island becomes your 5 * resort then. We'll be there soon for our usual three weeks, renting of course. Perhaps try some of the smaller hotels, you will get a much different perspective of the island.

For what it's worth accommodation at Elbow Beach is in the cottages scattered around the property, the main building rooms are not being used at the moment. There are restaurants open though and of course you would be on that beautiful beach. Tucker's Point is not right on the beach and is a bit out of the way. Easier to get around from Elbow Beach and quick access to Hamilton.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 20:45
USA
Level Contributor
27,309 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

No...(though Elbow Beach, out along Bermuda's magnificent south shore is the better location). What I meant is that unlike many other 'island/beach' vacation destinations, where one's resort/hotel is often their '..destination..', with little time spent off the premises) in relatively tiny RESORT BERMUDA, pretty much the whole damned place is one's '..resort/destination..'. One's resort/hotel becomes more of a place to sleep at night, dine occasionally and 'hang-out' after a day out 'n about....rather than spending the majority of one's time on-premises. So unless "..5-star.." is high on your priorities list...it matters much less in RESORT BERMUDA.

As noted above, the Elbow Beach Hotel is more centrally and conveniently situated...even for tiny Bermuda. It is located on one of the world's best beaches, along Bermuda's magnificent south shore. It is also convenient (12-15 mins away) to all of the many alternative dining options (all types, cuisines, prices), as well as shopping and nightlife of downtown Hamilton.A couple of years ago, the property was 'down-sized' ...with the closing of the original hotel building. The property is now a smaller, full-service '..cottage colony..' with restaurants, spa, beachclub, etc.

Tucker's Point Hotel & Spa is Bermuda's newest hotel and probably her only 5-star rated property. But it isn't nearly as centrally or conveniently situated (even for Bermuda). And as noted above, the hotel fronts onto the protected Castle Harbour inlet and the beach isn't nearly as pretty. It's one great advantage is for golfers. The Tucker's Point course is on the property and it is immediately adjacent to the private, Mid Ocean Golf Club's course. (introductions can be arranged through the Tucker's Point Concierge or Pro Shop). These are two of the best courses in Bermuda.

If you decide to look farther afield than just '5-star' properties...I suggest that you consider smaller, more intimate, 'boutique' hotels and 'cottage colonies' like--

The Reefs Hotel & Club...Pompano Beach Club...Cambridge Beaches. . . among other properties

Edited: 04 March 2014, 21:29
Johnstown...
Level Contributor
310 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Here is my two cents worth, and this is just my opinion, because I realize not everyone has the same priorities. But if you are that concerned about your accommodations being a "5 Star Luxury Resort"....then you are probably spending way too much time sitting in your room. For me, the "room" is just some place to go to in the evening to take a shower and get some sleep. So we always stay at one of the many cottages that are for rent for much more reasonable rates than say Tuckers Point or The Reefs. The extra luxury that they would provide would be lost on me. Literally within minutes of checking into the cottage, we go out and rent the scooters and the vacation begins. Very little sitting around the room. The cottages available for rent can range from tiny apartments to huge private homes with 4-5 bedrooms....depending on what you want to spend. Bermuda is too beautiful, and there are too many fun things to do to be spending your time in your room.

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
89 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

I will add something to this too........if you go somewhere like Egypt perhaps a 5* hotel.....(if you have the money to lavishly spend) is advisable as there is not much outside the grounds of most hotels ..except new builds..and..well..sand!

I myself think the whole of Bermuda is 5*!!...get a nice apartment or hotel..get out and enjoy the beauty of the island!..the beaches are 5*..the places are 5*... and the people are 5*..I wouldn't worry too much!...

I would be happy in a tent on the beach!!...

Wellesley...
Level Contributor
113 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Tucker's Point is a 5 star property where one has a very nice modern room, receives 5 star service in a beautiful setting. Dining is good, 5 star dining room and bar on the premises, a shuttle to your own stunning, PRIVATE beach where there is always a comfortable chair and umbrella, beach restaurant & bar, clean restrooms and beach waiters who replenish your water/drinks. Yes, all of Bermuda is wonderful, however 5 star properties do have their advantages. Golf, spa, exercise room, outside walking trails…..its the whole package not just a place to hang your hat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

Tuckers Point was awarded only four diamonds. Be warned that many of their rooms look onto each other so you have no privacy. They have problems with a smell of sewage in the rooms and hotel. You have to take a shuttle to the beach and the guests can be very pretentious. To call the place 5 stars laughable.

Boston...
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

As many have stated it is the island of Bermuda that is the center piece of this trip. That being said I fully understand the type of resort/hotel you are looking for. There are most certainly no Four Season (Nevis), Sandy Lane (Barbados), Waldorf Astoria (NY) or any thing that I would call close to that type hotel.

What you do have are a few large hotels that I would compare to maybe a Hyatt in the States, I have not stayed at Tuckers Point but have seen the exterior and it seems nice.

We have stayed at a number of locations over 30 years that have been noted (Reefs, Pompano 7 times, our favorite, small water front locations with great service, good food and even better views) and all were great, but not a solid 5 star as you are looking for.

Perhaps another location would better suit you if the hotel aspect is that important to you. I can tell you this without hesitation, that if you do decide to go to Bermuda that you will fall in love with the island as many of have and will really enjoy your stay

10. Re: 5-Star Luxury in Bermuda, does it exist in 2014?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 April 2014, 19:05