We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daytime places to go and see

Medford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Daytime places to go and see

My mom and I are going in June and I would love to know your opinion on the must see places to go and do. We would also like to know if they still have Bacardi Factory tours,my mom went there in the 60's when they did. Any restaurants you would definitely recommend that aren't too expensive? And which are the best beaches with the least amount of children,don't get me wrong I love them but would like to be with the least amount being on Vacation. Also where are the best places to shop that are the least expensive and the lesser of the tourist traps. Thanks in Advance :) We are taking the Norwegian cruise out of Boston.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Daytime places to go and see

Never really counted the children on the beaches so can't help you there. Shop for what? Take a look at the restaurant slot in the green shaded area at the top of the page. You can browse through and check menus and prices. Shopping in Bermuda is not particularly tourist oriented in my opinion so very little in the way of "tourist traps". Don't know about Bacardi, never heard about a tour. It's not like some of the Caribbean islands where they actually do the distilling.

USA
Level Contributor
27,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daytime places to go and see

>>>...if they still have Bacardi Factory tours,my mom went there in the 60's...<<<

NO...the way I heard it, the local 'powers-that-be' requested that Bicardi stop the free sampling of their product after the tour. Seems that some downtown Hamilton workers were dropping by during their lunch hour and returning to work '..the-worse-for-the-samples..'. Without the free samples, interest in the tour declined. The BACARDI HQ building is still there along Pitts Bay Road...and still a fine example of Mies van der Rohe 'modernism'.

Medford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daytime places to go and see

Thank you for your response KDSAIL but senior65 why answer if you don't have one? I was asking for advice and ideas for my trip not a sarcastic rude answer.

USA
Level Contributor
27,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Daytime places to go and see

>>>...best beaches with the least amount of children...<<<

Schools in Bermuda are still in session through late-June...so not many children on any of the south shore beaches ...even on weekends. Since you're arriving aboard a cruise ship that will be berthed out at the Royal Naval Dockyard complex, you should probably avoid the SNORKEL PARK beach attraction on the back side of the complex. It is the nearest 'beach' to the cruise ships berthed there...and cruise ships bring parents and their children to Bermuda ('..We have met the enemy and he is us..')...and this is a popular spot for 'em...if only 'cause it's close to the ship.

If you want a beautiful Bermuda south shore beach, with fewer people and far fewer children, than take the 'regular' #7--Dockyard-Hamilton bus route (NOT a 'Special')...a minute or two past Horseshoe Bay and stop at the long (1/2 mile) thin strand of pink sand at WARWICK LONG BAY/JOBSON'S COVE.

Since the large TRIMINGHAM's and SMITH'S department stores closed several years ago (victims of the world wide web), shopping in Bermuda ain't what it used to be. For souvenirs, 'trinkets 'n trash', etc, try stopping at the little HODGE PODGE Gift Shop, located 'round the corner, behind the main Ferry terminal in downtown Hamilton.

Toronto
Level Contributor
285 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daytime places to go and see

I have to support Senior65 here. I in no way see any sarcasm or rudeness in his response. The "Shop for what" comment was to ask what type of thing you're shopping for, a reasonable request. The rest of his reply gives info regarding your questions. Maybe not all the info you are seeking but sound advice anyways.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Daytime places to go and see

Thanks Fugs. I'm sorry if I offended you Mom, I thought that I had answered at least some of your questions.

I could have added advice to come back when you have had a look at the restaurants and ask about any that appeal to you. You didn't say what kind of shopping you were interested in doing. Clothes, souvenirs,

Jewelry? As I said, in my opinion Bermuda is not a tourist trap kind of island so you should have no worries about that.

I suppose that my comment about the children could, on reflection, be seen as sarcasm. Was meant as a touch of humour.

USA
Level Contributor
27,522 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daytime places to go and see

>>>...Take a look at the restaurant slot in the green shaded area at the top of the page. You can browse through and check menus and prices...<<<

In the absence of any individual preferences, priorities, special needs or definition of an entirely relative and vague term like "..aren't too expensive.." checking the individual restaurant menus and pricing is probably as good as it gets. It ain't "..sarcasm..". In addition to this, experience indicates that cruise ship passengers tend to 'dine' aboard ship during their brief port-calls and 'lunch' wherever is most convenient to wherever they happen to be at the time. Are you looking for places for lunch ??...or...dinner ?? NOT-so-minor details matter and get better directed and more meaningful responses.

8. Re: Daytime places to go and see

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:18