We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

Boston
Level Contributor
342 posts
Save Topic
Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

Whenever we go to the beach in Bermuda we end up lying on towels on the sand and in the sun. As time goes by, that's less and less appealing. Are there beach clubs that we're just not aware of--places where you can use or rent a couple of loungers and a big umbrella? Or, perhaps, a hotel that allows non-guests to use its facilities?

Johnstown...
Level Contributor
352 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

Wow....you found sun and sand at the beach??? Who would have thunk? Here's a thought, and it's just a suggestion, mind you. How about leaving the beach when you get bored and going out and doing some exploring of the island? As beautiful as Bermuda's beaches are, the island has so much more to offer. Why not go out and see some of it? Do you rent scooters? It's a great way to get around and see things up close instead of just seeing it go by while riding a bus. Visit St George, Fort St Catherine or some of the many other forts, the Aquarium, Dockyard, Gibb's Hill Lighthouse, St David's Lighthouse. If you need some more suggestions, let me know.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,941 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

Coco Reef has a package that's popular with people from the cruise ships. Includes lunch. You can rent chairs and umbrellas at Horseshoe Bay. I believe that Elbow Beach also offers some kind of beach package for the day.

USA
Level Contributor
28,256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

As noted above, you can rent sand chairs and beach umbrellas from the concessionaire at Horseshoe Bay...as well as Tobacco Bay out on the back side of Saint George's.. There used to be a seasonal (approx. mid-April-thru-mid October) concessionaire at Warwick Long Bay that rented chaise lounge and beach umbrella...but I'm not sure whether he's still there.

The '..day pass..' offer at Coco Reef Resort, located at the eastern end of Elbow Beach, was $49 per person...included a two course lunch with complimentary glass of wine or beer, use of the hotel pool, beach, changing facilities, chaise lounge, beach umbrella, towels.

Manchester, New...
Level Contributor
214 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

Okay, so this might not solve your problem, but have you thought about packing a blanket to take with you? My husband and I have purchased a lightweight parachute material blanket (about $40US). It has pockets for sand so it won't blow away when you are beach combing and it has a bag attached that it scrunches into. It is very small (weights less that 1lb) and easy to put into a back pack for the day. It dries fast and stays cool. The other item we bring with us, though it is a little larger, is a light weight cabana. Our is the Rio brand. It was about $20. It comes with 3 corded poles. It is easy to put together and will fit on the back of a moped easily. You might have to copy and paste these links into your browser, but these are what I've described above.

infinitegoddess.com/catalog/beach-blankets/p…

http://www.shadeusa.com/beach_cabanas.htm

USA
Level Contributor
28,256 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

We've spent--a lotta' time at Bermuda's magnificent south shore beaches over the decades...and while I'll readily admit that there's a lot of incredible natural beauty and interest to be found in the '..rest of Bermuda..'..her many rock-crenellated, pink-sand beaches and aquamarine waters are the 'jewels' in her 'crown'. These are places that scream out for visitors to simply sit on the pink sand and immerse and indulge themselves in the ever changing beauty of surf, sea and sky.

But it's a curious thing...and odd phenomenon...over the decades we've found that the pink sand doesn't quite 'mold' itself to our bathing suit-clad bodies for long periods of lounging quite as comfortably as it did in decades past. I blame global warming, atmospheric ozone depletion and shifting plate tectonics for this (Obviously !!). Friends claim that I'm just gettin' older (Utter rubbish !!!). Whatever the reason, for longer stays at the beach, we too find that sometimes a chair to sit in while enjoying the magnificent ocean views is not to be despised.

What we've taken to doing is stopping at the Phoenix store (up on Reid Street in downtown Hamilton) and buying a 'collapsible' canvas beach chair and carrying it with us out to the beach on our first 'beach day'. At '..our beach..'. At the end of the day, we'll flod it up, put it back in its tube carry-bag and tuck it into a cleft in the rocks or bury it in the sand (toss some sea wrack or driftwood on top) at the back of the beach, to be retrieved the next day. So far, it's always been right where we left it when we return. At the end of our visit, we'll either give it to a passing resident...or just leave it for '..the next guy..'. The 'cost' is less than daily chair rentals, at beaches that are 'crowded' enough to justify a chair rental concession.

PS...an old bed sheet makes a great 'beach blanket'. It's light, folds up compactly, easy to carry, dries quickly and doesn't 'hold' sand.

6. Re: Beach clubs--loungers, umbrellas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:16