We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

I have been to Bermuda numerous times, and consider myself a knowledgeable return visitor. For some reason, our stays have never included a Sunday, until our upcoming trip next month. We are staying in St. George, and were hoping someone could recommend a good place for Bermudian Sunday breakfast, preferably in or around St. George, or as far as Hamilton. Prefer not to change buses/ferries, so Hamilton would be about as far as we'e like to go. Please don't recommend the White Horse (they are now serving breakfast on Sundays), as I've never had what I'd call a good experience there. Thank you.

USA
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Try POLARIS at the Carriage House-- http://www.polarisrestaurant.com/ --harbourfront, along Water St. in downtown Saint George's for their Sunday Brunch (11 AM--)

USA
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Not sure whether they're open on Sundays but....during your visit, stop by ANGELINE'S COFFEE SHOP out on Water St. (#48...btwn: One Gun Alley & Shinbone Alley) Angeline's in a minor Saint George's '..institution..'.

USA
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

If you take the bus into downtown Hamilton on Sunday morning, there are a couple/few places you can try--

The SPOT RESTAURANT--Burnaby St. (btwn: Reid & Church Sts....a couple of blocks from the main Bus Terminal)

TRIBE ROAD KITCHEN--(out at the far east-end of Reid Street, at: King St.)

http://www.trk.bm/

BOUCHÉE--Pitts Bay Road at: Woodbourne Ave (formerly: Monty's)--

http://www.bouchee.bm/

PRIME'S PLACE--Victoria Street (nr: Cedar St....a couple/three blocks from the main Bus Terminal)--

http://www.bermudayp.com/primes_place_menu/

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Answering my own question, and maybe others with the same, we just returned from Bermuda, so this is first hand, personal information, not the result of searching the web, which can often result in inaccurate information; as in some of the restaurants listed below. The Spot is closed on Sundays, and Polaris at the Carriage House is CLOSED. We had an amazing breakfast at Bouchee in Hamilton; I'll be posting a full review shortly.

USA
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Sorry...forgot that The SPOT Restaurant is closed on Sundays. Pity that you could only find time for a codfish cakes & potatoes breakfast at BOUCHÉE (formerly: Monty's) The dinner menu is interesting and inventive and the food is very good. Perhaps next visit ??

P.S....Is ANGELINE'S Coffee Shop in Saint George's closed on Sunday as well ??

Edited: 16 June 2014, 06:52
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

I hope that he had more than a fishcake and potatoes after all that searching. How about the avocado, bananas, two kinds of sauce, fish (salt cod) not fishcakes and maybe some cornbread?

Edited: 16 June 2014, 15:50
Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Fyi, you can get cod fish n potatoes on Saturdays at the market place grocery store in Hamilton (pretty good) and delicious in the Washington mall (pretty darn good) but both are take out only. One of the best i've had is at mr chicken (Sundays only) on queen street, near the top of the hill and their Johnny bread is some of the best i've had.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,284 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

Ps Angeline's is closed Sundays.

USA
Level Contributor
27,117 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

>>>...Angeline's is closed Sundays...<<<

Thanks...thought so but wasn't sure.

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
39 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional Bermudian Codfish breakfast?

We did have the full breakfast; I had both sauces, my better half stuck with the tomato. Amazing taste combination with the Banana and Avocado.