We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

Hi, I am planning a vacation for Bermuda. I need to get a rough estimate on food cost. I am asking because I heard the island is very expensive to eat at the restaurants.I am not cooking in the room even if it had a kitchen. I need a general idea how much it would cost 1 person to eat out a regular beach bar.Not a formal restaurant but I say like a "CHILES" or "Benagins" type restaurant. I usually eat at like a open air beach bar that servers food. And how much is a alcoholic drink like a "pina colada" my favorite. In US dollars please, Thanks

USA
Level Contributor
30,071 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

There really aren't much in the way of the sort of '..beach bars..' that you copmpare to US chains like Bemigan's, Chile's, TGI Friday's, Ruby Tuesday's, etc. Perhaps the closest you get to it is BLACKBEARD'S HIDEOUT, overlooking Achilles Bay, out at Bermuda's far eastern end (behind Saint George's) or the White Horse Tavern on Saint George's Harbour.

To get some idea of menu prices for restaurants on Bermuda, try checking out the links found on this list, many with actual sample menus and prices. This should give you some idea of what your average ding cost per person might be---

tripadvisor.com/…3544809

Places like.....the HOG PENNY PUB, M R ONION'S, PICKLED ONION, FLANAGAN'S in downtown Hamilton; the FROG & ONION PUB out at Dockyard; WHITE HORSE TAVERN, TAVERN-by-the-SEA out in Saint George's....will probably be your best bets for the sort of place you describe.

For other moderately priced dining options try La TRATTORIA or PORTOFINO'S in downtown Hamilton for good basic Italian...or MONTY'S RESTAURANT for a basic '..diner..' type menu or The SPOT. Out on the south shore, try the PARAQUET or the SPECIALTY INN on the South Road for basic '..diner..' type menu or the new SWIZZLE INN SOUTH SHORE for basic '..pub grub..' burgers, fries & beer; The LIGHTHOUSE TEAROOM, up at the base of Gibb's Hill Light. TIO PEPE'S for pizza (but skip the rest).

Lansdowne...
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

I have a rule of thumb when puting $ aside to go to Bermuda......$25 for lunch without a cocktail (includes soup and lunch entree), $35 with cocktail. Dinner is about $60 at moderate to a little nicer place.

Now, you can certainly reduce those costs by going to the market and getting lunch to go....then go sit on the beach. Miles Market and Marketplace in Hamilton are 2 great places to do that. As funny as it sounds, go to the "lunch truck" at the head of Hamilton (near the commercial dock) for a great burger and drink, then take it to Albouy's or Barr's Bay Park to eat and watch the world go by. Robin Hood's is a nice place (sports bar kinda thing) for pizza and a beer. Flanagan's on Front Street has (IMHO) the best fish chowder and a perfect view of Front Street from the 2nd storey porch. Monty's in Hamilton is a terrific find.....reasonable for large portions......perfect for a hearty breakfast!!! Mickey's on the beach at Elbow Beach is a great change with a wonderful view and pricing that isn't too bad for a beach place.

Country Squire in Somerset has a perfect view of Mangrove Bay and is great for lunch or dinner in the budget I mentioned above....and Rustico in Flatt's has great pizza for lunch or dinner. Swizzle Inn is a good choice for Bennigan's type food, but pricing will be a little above Bennigan's. A dinner for TWO at Portofino, cocktail each and splitting a dessert will fun $65-$70, but you will have enough for lunch the next day, too.

There are definitely more expensive places to eat that will exceed this budget, so it will all depend on what you are looking for. Nicer places to splurge or exceed this budget??? Lobster Pot, Port O'Call in Hamilton......Rustico in Flatt's.....Cafe Gio in St. Geroge's......Country Squire in Somerset for dinner.

You can spend as little or as much $$$$$.....simply depends on your tastes.

Providence, RI
Level Contributor
668 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

US dollars and Bermuda dollars are the same thing. The cheapest Pina Colada will not be under $10. (in most places) I'm not a big drinker so maybe someone will know where to get cheaper drinks.

London, UK
Level Contributor
479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

Good value for breakfast and lunch is right in town at The Spot, on Burnaby Hill, on the west side between Reid and Church. You can get an excellent meal there for $15 - $20. Great English/American breakfasts, and excellent fish chowder (that would compete with Flanigan's), hot sandwiches, or full hot meals. There are some terrific old ladies there that give fast friendly service.

5. Re: Can anyone give me general cost of eating out?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 04:15