We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

Been in Hamilton since Thursday.

Loving our time at the Fairmont in Hamilton. Yesterday I rented a moped and hit up the driving range and rode around half the island. Today my mom, sister and I went to the private beach at Southampton. Ate at Rosa's, Pickled Onion, Hog Penny's.

Try to plan out last 2.5 days here. Anyone care to advise what you think the essential beach to visit is? We are eating at Mad Hatters tomorrow night.

Thinking of renting a moped again on Monday and try and do all of Bermuda (since I only really saw the route from Hamilton through the Golf Academy and back yesterday), Think that's a good use of time?

Not really into museums, ship wreck tours, jet skiing.

Any idea if visitors can pay to use the loungers at the private part of Elbow Beach?

Sorry for the vague/cliche questions. But any advice is appreciated!

Aquatic Bermuda
Sightseeing Tours
Byways Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Rising Son Cruises
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Boat Hire, Sightseeing Tours
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,276 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

You could take the ferry over to St George's from the Dockyard. The Dockyard itself is worth seeing.

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

Try BOUCHÉE-- http://www.bouchee.bm/ --located out on Pitts Bay Road (nr: Woodbourne Ave...approx. 1/2 way to Hamilton Princess)

For a day out on a rental motor scooter...try riding out along Pitts Bay Road from downtown Hamilton to Spanish Point...then return to the North Shore Road at Admiralty House Park (bear left) and continue all along the North Shore Road, through the Village of Flatts (Bermuda Aquarium & Zoo is here-- http://www.bamz.org/ ) continue on along the North Shore Road (past SWIZZLE INN-- http://www.swizzleinn.com/ ) and across the Causeway, 'round the airport and across Swing Bridge and on into the 'olde towne' of SAINT GEORGE'S. Spend some time poking 'round Saint George's (perhaps up past the Unfinished Church...to Tobacco Bay, Achilles Bay, Fort Saint Catherine, Saint Catherine's Beach..and perhaps farther along to the 'sea glass beach' next to and below the old Alexandra Battery fortification......for the return...back out of Saint George's, back to the round about at Swizzle Inn and the Bailey's Ice Cream Shop, bear left at the round about onto Wilkinson Ave...past Tom Moore's Jungle ( wanderingeducators.com/best/traveling/inside… ) and the CRYSTAL & FANTASY CAVES attraction ( http://www.caves.bm/ )...on 'round the eastern ide of the inland Harrington Sound...past Tucker's Point Hotel & Spa...through a couple of manicured, palm-lined golf course...coming out onto the south eastern shore onto the South Road at JOHN SMITH BAY...then along the entire south shore, past the the Bermuda Botanic Garden and the round about that would take you back into downtown Hamilton at Trimingham Hill...out past Elbow Beach, Astwood Cove and all of the magnificent south shore beaches--Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Cove, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, Horseshoe Bay...then across the tiny Somerset Bridge and along Bermuda's western shore and Great Sound...all the way to the Royal Naval Dockyard complex. During the course of this day, you will have traveled Bermuda from shore-to-shore and end-to-end.

From Dockyard you can purchase a BLUE--Dockyard-Hamilton ferry fares (1 for you; 1 for your scooter) roll your scooter aboard the Blue route ferry for the boat ride back to downtown Hamilton, where you began...OR...you can turn 'round and ride back along the South Road, past all of those magnificent beaches all over again.

That's a pretty good day and you'll have seen (and perhaps stopped at) a whole lotta' Bermuda's natural charms and beauties along the way

Edited: 27 July 2014, 01:49
Mentioned in this post
Alexandra Battery
Alexandra Battery
13 Reviews
Bermuda
South Road
South Road
9 Reviews
Bermuda
Somerset Bridge
Somerset Bridge
35 Reviews
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

>>>...Any idea if visitors can pay to use the loungers at the private part of Elbow Beach?...<<<

YES....you can rent lounge chairs and beach umbrellas (and bottle of chilled water) at the designated, private beachclub area (out in front of Mickey's Beach Bistro), out in front of the Elbow Beach Hotel. I'd been told that the charge was $65 per person...but now understand it to be approx. $30 per person.

A better all 'round deal can be had just down the same Elbow Beach, at the COCO REEF RESORT. They offer a 'day pass' deal here that includes a two-course lunch (w/glass of beer or wine) up on the terrace or in the bar, use of pool, beach, chaise lounge, umbrella, towels, changing facilities--$59 per person.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

Hi,

Glad you are having a great time, Bermuda is a great place to visit.

I have been to Bermuda many times, I again will be visiting Bermuda next week.

My advice to you is, simply go to tripadvisor check out things to do.

Lots of great ideas. I, to do not like sightseeing, scooter for me is the best way to get around and enjoy the freedom to go anywhere so again rent a moped, scooter checkout the sites on south road etc..

While riding in that area, check out Daniels head beach park, then drive and have a great lunch at swizzle inn restaurant on south road. Great food and Rum. Enjoy

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
966 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

The girl friend and I were just there for a few days. Stayed on Elbow beach, was fantastic.

Go to Horseshoe Bay or some of the coves on the SW side. Lighthouse was a great time with a good view.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

thanks for all the advice guys, it was helpful.

I ended up renting a moped from Smatt's on Sunday and biking through Hamilton to North Shore Road and then all the way over the Causeway over to St George's, biked alllll around St George's and the coastal roads, was beautiful up there. It rained and I hung out in the old Town Hall in St George's. People all around there were exceptionally friendly and nice. Then later in the day I biked on South Road and went and checked out the public Elbow Beach and Horseshoe Bay beach. Both were gorgeous. After two days of scootering and also going through rain on the bike I felt very confident on it and it really, really is the best way to see Bermuda.

The following day my Mom, sister and I took the bus to Dockyards and then on the way back stopped at Warwick Long Bay Beach (which was gorgeous too). Think I made the most of my (too short) 5 days in Bermuda.

Can't wait to come back. Bermuda is expensive but worth it.

Mentioned in this post
South Road
South Road
9 Reviews
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,151 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

>>>...Can't wait to come back. Bermuda is expensive but worth it...<<<

I'll admit that Bermuda can be expensive (though with a great deal of '..added value..' for natural beauty, personal safety, hospitality at every turn, '..comfort..') but.....it doesn't have to be. There are modestly/moderately prices guest accommodations widely available in Bermuda in the form of smaller, family owned/operated guesthouses (many with self-catering facilities) and B&Bs...as well as a broad selection of charming, self-catering private rental apartments and cottages. There are guest accommodations and alternative in Bermuda to suit nearly any '..budget..' (an inconvenient fact-of-life that most of us must deal with).

Bermuda cruises are fine 'budget' vacations. But I don't care how good the on-board all-you-can-eat buffets are....time spent in Bermuda is better by several factors of magnitude. ALL come up short in terms of the pleasures spent experiencing, exploring and enjoying RESORT BERMUDA....an all-you-can-enjoy-'buffet' of memorable experiences.

Scroll back through this TA BERMUDA travel forum,..search for '..Affordable accommodations..'....etc and I'll bet that with a bit of research (filtered through your own personal preferences, priorities, special needs expectations and budget) you can come up with an affordable Bermuda vacation that'll suit you right down to your socks.

8. Re: 2 days left in Bermuda, what to do/where to eat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:16