We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

Hi, our family of 5 (kids are 13, 10, 9) will be vacationing in Bermuda for 7 days in July, 2012. I am unsure if it is better to stay in the city of Hamilton and commute to the beaches so you have a better selection of restaurants when the ferry stops in the evening or to stay in Paget nearer the beach and have a limited selection for meals? The reviews for the Fairmont Hamilton are mixed. Some are good. One said she was bitten by bugs while sleeping. OH NO! Convenience is an issue as is the cleanliness of the hotel. After purchasing the plane tickets I wish I booked a vacation elsewhere. Bermuda is outrageously expensive and inconvenient to get around!

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,537 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

I think with the family your best bet would be to stay either at the family friendly Pompano on the beach (also on the bus lines for ease of travel) or for a much less expensive option you could do a rental of a house through www.bermudarentals.com or www.bermudagetaway.com Both sites are very reliable enterprises and give you the option of fixing meals in the house which is a huge money saver. Bermuda's abulous beaches are free. The public transportation system is very reliable and a good value. Compared to many islands it is a safe place to visit. Plus it is a pretty short flight from Washington, DC.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia
Concord,MA
Level Contributor
79 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

I would concur with CMCfong that Pompano might be an option for you- although you will want to reset you expectations regarding Bermudian "beach hotels" and what you might find in the Carribean etc. Read the TA reviews.

Another option is the South Hampton Princess (expensive huge and somewhat impersonal) it would be my choice with three children at the ages you list. At the Fairmont Princess unless you are on the Gold Floors (more expensive than the expensive regular rooms) be prepared for 1980s Holiday Inn rooms with the benefit of stunning Harbor Views. Large salt water pool and smaller freshwater pools should keep the kids busy. But the trip to the beach (either by Princess Ferry to Waterlot Inn thence by bus to the SH Princess or by taxi) can be taxing- especially on the return trip.

I would not worry about bugs and cleanliness- the Fairmont does a pretty good job with that.

Mentioned in this post
Pompano Beach
Pompano Beach
Broward County, FL
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
USA
Level Contributor
29,015 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

YES...Bermuda can be '..expensive..' (and the least of personal destination research before making non-refundable airline reservations would've given some idea of it)...but as any number of multi-repeat-vist participants to this forum can attest, It doesn't have to be. If you're that concerned about "..outrageously expensive.." then you should consider some sort of modestly/moderately priced, self-catering, private rental property--apartment or cottage, where you may prepare some or all of your family meals, snacks, etc....of the sort available through agencies like--

BERMUDA RENTALS--

http://www.bermudarentals.com/

BERMUDA GETAWAY--

http://www.bermudagetaway.com

HOME AWAY--

http://www.homeaway.com/

You might also consider a mid-level resort like GROTTO BAY BEACH RESORT-- http://www.grottobay.com/ --which tends to suit the needs of family groups better than most others.

Insofar as "..inconvenient..' is concerned...if your definition of '..convenient..' includes a mid-sized rental car, van or behemouth SUV...then NO...there are NO rental cars being driven on the 'wrong' side of narrow, winding, often congeted roads of Bermuda by distracted tourists. In lieu of this, Bermuda has a genuinely excellent public transportation system--clean, well maintained, efficient, economic buses and ferries--that serve very nicely to transport most visitors to--or near to--just about anywhere they need or want to go in Bermuda. Frankly, Bermuda may be one of the most 'convenient' island/beach vacation destinations you'll find to get around.

As for the general "..cleanliness.." of either of the Fairmont hotels in Bermuda..it's just the slightest bit ridiculous that you'd fix on the one(1) that reported, "..bitten by bugs while sleeping.." out of the several hundred other past guest reports, over several years, that did make similar reports....or perhaps all of these others were 'bitten'....but forgot to mention it ?? In any event, neither of the Fairmont hotels (nor any other guest accommodation in Bermuda that I'm aware of) have any sort of reputation for this. The hotels are '..clean..'...but being the two largest hotels in Bermuda, hosting more guests per year than any others...I suppose that the possibility exists that a housekeeping staff responsible for several hundred guest rooms, misses something every once in a while.

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
baltimore
Level Contributor
722 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

Try the 3 room apartment at Paraquet- save a lot of money- buy your own groceries, 10 minute walk to Beach- and/or mult-day bus pass- pole right out front of restaurant.

5. Re: Hotel in Paget or the Fairmont Hamilton Princess in Bermuda

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 04:16