We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Fairfax, VA
Level Contributor
4 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Crisson is a high end jeweler with good selection but terrible service. Their prices are a bit high but if you receive great customer service you can overlook the prices. But don't expect that kind of service here. The weather did not cooperate during our trip to Bermuda, so we spent more time wondering around the shops than we expected. We went into Crisson and I decided to buy a birthday present for my wife. The sales person was very friendly and helpful in picking out the right gift. The problem started when we went to the cashier to check out.

We did not intend to make any large purchases while on our trip so I did not call Citi to let them know we were traveling out of the country. So, I told the cashier that it might be declined. And it was. The cashier looked at the sales person and told her it was declined and to get another card. Mind you, I was standing right in front of her and I told her this might happen. The sales person allowed me to use their phone and I contacted Customer Support and they verified the changes and made a note on the account that we were out of the country. The Customer Service agent told me everything should be fine and wished me a good vacation.

The cashier, who could not seem to smile, immediately tried to process that sale and it was rejected. She again asked the sales person for another card while I was standing in front of her. I explained to her that Citi said everything was verified and it should be fine. Her response was that it was not working and wanted to know why I hung up. I explained (sarcastically, of course) that I usually hang up when someone says thank you and good bye. If she wanted me to stay on the line, she could have told me not to hang up, since she was three feet away from me and listening while I was calling.

I called Citi again and explained. The agent was very nice and said she would remain on the line until the charge went through. About 30 seconds later that transaction was completed and verified by Citi. If I could have made the purchase elsewhere I would have. Unfortunately, they were the only jeweler who carried that brand.

I would not be upset and I would not have taken the time to write this posting if only the cashier would have said I am sorry and thank you for you purchase. She would not ever smile or look at me after she completed that sale and did not say one word. She could not ever manage a thank you.

Save your money and make your purchase elsewhere!

USA
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

One of the most delightful, charming and helpful Bermudians I've ever encountered in Bermuda is Mrs. Susan Hanwell, who's managed the Crisson's satellite store at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess Hotel for years. It makes little or no difference to this gentlewoman whether you're purchasing a Rolex or '..just looking..'.

Victoria, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

I just had the greatest experience at Crisson jewellers, we purchased a charm at Crisson's and upon our arrival home, back to Victoria, I noticed the charm was broken. I sent Crisson's an email and within 15 minutes of sending the email, Susan called me to find out what she could do to fix the problem. Having already arrived home, I wasn't really expecting anything from the store, but Susan bent over backwards to make me happy. She gave me several options and I opted for a new charm which she mailed to me at no cost and she continued to appologise profusely throughout our telephone call. It seemed really important to her that I was happy. Over all I could not be happier with the service I received both at the point of purchase and 10 days later when there was a problem.

USA
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Just saw Ms. Hanwell at the Crisson's shop at the Hamilton Princess last week....as delightful, helpful and charming as ever.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Of course, when traveling to ANY foreign country, you need to notify your credit card company that there will be purchases coming from that country, and to note your account.

Secondly, the clerk did assist you with the issue...maybe not in your exact pre-conceived way, but you were accommodated well. We have shopped Crisson's for 25+ years as repeat visitors, both on Front Street and Queen St locations, and always been well treated for large as well as smaller purchases. It is a well run and reputable store.

It sounds like you were already frustrated due to several rainy days, and this little issue just topped your frustration for you. Next time, take a deep breath, realize you are in BEMUDA enjoying special time with your lovely wife and purchasing a wonderful gift for her.....don't let any little thing ruin that for you! Then go out and have a celebratory swizzle at Hog Penny or wherever!!

USA
Level Contributor
28,514 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

>>>...have a celebratory swizzle at Hog Penny or wherever!!...<<<

THAT's the BEST !!! advice you'll get on this--or any other--travel site. EVERYTHING looks better through the bottom of an empty Rum Swizzle or Dark 'n Stormy glass.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

The hog penny sounds like a good idea to keep in mind!

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,802 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Hey, even the president of the US had his credit card declined. It can happen, it happened to me when the bank thought it was a fraudulent charge. Actually I'm glad they did that, better safe than to deal with the aggravation when you get the bill.

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Crisson is one of my favourite jewellers. Have shopped with them many times over the last 25 years. Always had superb service there.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,059 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Well, Crisson's has had plenty of publicity as the result of all this don't you think? Most of it pretty good. Time to give it a rest I think !!

Sedona, Arizona
Level Contributor
2 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Do not shop at Crisson Jewellers

Bermuda is fantastic, but the locals are very much snobs. They feel superior to every one who visits their small country. It is because of their economic standing. they do not take into account their size and that American and Canadian tourist are a very big part of their economic wealth. But they are proud and should be of their homeland. Relax when in Bermuda and be polite, the good old USA is not very friendly all the time either.

Edited: 02 December 2014, 18:13