We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

I am coming to Bermuda at the end of January and looking at staying at the Surf Side Beach Club. Are there any restaurants close to hotels. Also are there shops nearby to get supplies

10 replies to this topic
USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

The nearest restaurant, within waklking easy strolling/walking distance (approx. 650 yards) will be the SWIZZLE INN-South Shore-- http://www.swizzleinn.com/locations.php --at the intersection of the South Road & Dunscombe Road.

Beyond this, there are no other restaurants located within convenient walking distances of Surf Side. Heading east along the South Road (toward downtown Hamilton) there will be the modestly/moderately priced, PARAQUET RESTAURANT-- http://www.bermudayp.com/dining/view/47:32371 --which probably has more in common with a good '..diner..' than '..restaurant..' but does great breakfasts and lunches and good dinners.

Headin up and over Cobb's Hill Road, there's the FOURWAYS INN-- http://www.fourwaysinn.com/# --which may arguably be the best dining room in Bermuda.

There are several other good dining alternatives located out along the South shore--

To the east of Surf Side (heading toward Hamilton)--

LIDO, SEA BREEZE TERRACE & MICKEY'S BEACH BISTRO at the Elbow Beach Hotel-- www.mandarinoriental.com/bermuda/dining/

To the west of Surf Side (heading toward Dockyard)--

The several dining alternatives at the FAIRMONT SOUTHAMPTON HOTEL-- fairmont.com/southampton/…Restaurants

HENRY VIII Restaurant & Pub-- http://www.henrys.bm/

The DINING ROOM at Gibb's Hill Lighthouse--

primaverarestaurant.com/The_Dining_Room.html

The three(3) very good dining alternatives at The REEFS HOTEL-- http://www.thereefs.com/ --Royston's, Ocean Echo and Coconuts (these restaurants closed thru March 2012).

These among others....

The nearest place to purchase very basic groceries will be at the new Warwick-South Shore, RUBiS-SHELL gas station mini-mart/convenience store, just about across the road from the Swizzle Inn-- http://rubis-bermuda.com/service-stations

Not the 'nearest' in terms of distance but probably most convenient in terms of travel....is the full-service supermarket & liquors will be the MODERN MART-- www.marketplace.bm/marketplace/locations.jsp --located approx. 1 1/4 mile east along the South Road (at: Saint Michael's Road) in Paget. The Modern Mart will be approx. 5 minutes away by the #7 public bus route, from the bus stop located at the South Road end of Surf Side's entrance drive (approx 175 yards out to the South Road. ).

There is also a WHITE & Son supermarket-- http://www.whitensons.com/About-Us.html --up on the Middle Road (at: Morgan Rd.) in Warwick. Though closewr in 'distance' to Surf Side, there is no convenient public transportation connection between the two.

If you're riding rental motor scooters, either White's or Modern Mart will serve equally well.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Thanks for the great information. I will take some time to digest. There will be six of the travel party. Bringing my adult children from Australia.

Thanks again.

I may have more questions later

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Take a look at the on-line pdf version of the BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map-- gotobermuda.com/uploadedFiles/GetHere/MapsAn… --to gain some perspective and orient yourself to Bermuda's lay-out and relative locations (as a frame of reference, Surf Side is located at grid 'H'-'I' / '11' -'12' on the map). You can contact the Bermuda Department of Tourism-- gotobermuda.com/get-here/maps-and-brochures/ --and request that they mail 'paper' copies of this handy, pocket-sized folding map for you and other members of your family. It will be useful for planning.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Thanks for the link, I had already printed this off yesterday and was very helpful

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

The on-line, scalable, pdf-file map is certainly handy in a pinch but doesn't lend itself to home-printing in larger size. The actual size of the printed map is 19 5/8" x 14 1/8" and far easier to read...with map insets for the City of Hamilton, Town of Saint George's and the Royal Naval Dockyard complex, plus corresponing, numbered legend for place and road locations. The cleverly designed, free, folding '..BERMUDA--Handy Reference Map..' is widely available all over Bermuda once you've arrived...but that doesn't do you much good during pre-trip research & planning.

If you e-mail the Bermuda Department of Tourism, they'll usually send you copies of the actual paper map via post.

BERMUDA TOURISM--

E-mail: travel@bermudatourism.com

Edited: 09 January 2012, 22:03
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Thanks again but as we are leaving Australia shortly (Going to New York for five days) I don't think the mail will get here time.

Will pick one up when we arrive

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

Thanks for the great advice, we are now looking at Coco Reef Hotel, I understand it does not have kitchen facilities so I think we would be relying on local resturants. We can get a pretty good rate at The Coco Reef but not sure which way to jump. It appears closer to Hamilton etc. What would the cost of going into Hamilton in a taxi from Coco Reef?

Any suggestions which way we should jump.

I am travelling with my wife and three adult sons with one of their partners.

Level Contributor
1,791 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

It would take no time to get to Hamilton by bus from Coco Reef. A taxi might be 15-20 dollars. I think if you could get breakfast included in the rate at the Coco Reef, that would be good and you then could have a few lunches at the Parakeet We stayed at the Pompano Beach Club and it included breakfast and dinner in the rate. Also, we got their endless summer promotion where you pay 3 nights but stay for four nights. Its a very good deal.It might be cost effective for you. If you are still trying to decide between Surfside and the Coco Reef, my preference would be Coco Reef

USA
Level Contributor
27,751 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

COCO REEF RESORT is situated at the eastern-end (prettiest end) of the world famous Elbow Beach. It will be closer to downtown Hamilton than Surf Side. The taxi fare for six(6) passengers (one fare rate for 1-4 passengers; higher fare rate for 5-6 passengers) would probably run $13-$15. You could easily use the regular #7 bus for the ride into downtown Hamilton for dinners and nightlife (pubs, dance clubs, etc) but since the last #7 bus run of the day goes at 9:15 PM (Mon-thru-Sat) from the main bus terminal in Hamilton it would be a taxi back for a later evening out. During the day, this same #7 bus services all of the other great beaches (Astwood Cove, Warwick Long Bay, Jobson's Cove, Stonehole Bay, Chaplin Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Church Bay) along Bermuda's magnificent south shore in 5-to-20 minutes. The restaurants and bars at the Elbow Beach Hotel are just a short stroll (100 yards or so) along Elbow Beach.

As noted, there are no self-catering facilities in any of the guest rooms at Coco Reef. There are coffee makers and mini-fridge in each room, but any meal preparation is pretty much a no go. The PARAQUET RESTAURANT is located a bit to the west (approx. 400 yards) from the South Road end of the Coco Reef entrance drive (approx. 500 yards from loby to South Road). There is a regular bus stop for the #7--Hamilton-Via South Shore Beaches-Dockyard public bus route. The Modern Mart supermarket & liquors is located a short walk to the east (approx. 100 yards) for snacks, beverages, mixer to store in your rom's mini-fridge.

As above, even without self-catering facilities, I'd be inclined to select Coco Reef over Surf Side.

Edited: 11 January 2012, 16:28
baltimore
Level Contributor
648 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club

The buses will take you anywhere, Paraquet Restaurant and Apartments about the most reasonable- and right at the bus pole, and street- NO WALKING,- swing down to the mini-mart for snacks... other food and beverages...

Reply to: Are there any restaurants near the Surf Side Beach Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Warwick Parish