We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newstead Belmont Hills

Southeast U.S.
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Newstead Belmont Hills

I am planning a trip to Bermuda in early to mid September and have just seen the website for the renovated Newstead. The pictures are beautiful and I was wondering if anyone had yet experienced it and could recommend it. This will be our seventh trip to Bermuda and we have stayed in town and on the beach during various visits. We no longer wish to sit in the sun on the beach all day although we enjoy a visit for an hour or two once or twice during our vacation. We do love water views, however, even though it doesn't have to be the ocean; the harbor is fine. The last time we were there we stayed at the Fairmount Princess and loved the easy access to downtown Hamilton. Hope someone can help.

USA
Level Contributor
27,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

>>>the renovated Newstead<<<

As a point of information...the NEWSTEAD-BELMONT HILLS (nee: Nestead Hotel) isn't merely "..renovated..'....it's bran', spankin '..new..' construction--from the foundations up to the roof rafters--as of April, 2008.

Southeast U.S.
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

Thank you for the correction, KDKSAIL. Have you yet had the opportunity to see it? It looks beautiful and I am very interested in staying there is anyone has good information on it.

Thanks again.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

I hope I can help. My husband and I have stayed there many times...we even bought a fractional unit, we loved it so much! If you do decide to stay there, get a deluxe studio or one-bedroom on the water (in the cottages). They offer a more traditional Bermuda settting than the main part of the hotel (IMO), although every room there is nice.

Not only is a beautiful setting with the views of Hamilton Harbour, but the hotel runs a ferry shuttle into Hamilton during the mornings, then again in the evening. On Fridays, they have a great happy hour with live music and drink specials (usually runs April--end of October). Sometimes, they are even able to run you to the beach!

On site, there are two tennis courts, a fabulous spa and a great restaurant. Recently, a lounge-area opened for those who wanted to eat out, but not have the formal setting of Beau Rivage. And to top it off, they sometimes offer specials that include free golf during your stay (call and ask when you book your room).

Last but not least--my favorite part of Newstead--the infinity pool! It is the most wonderful, relaxing part of the Newstead! I love just hanging out in and around the pool area. It is one of the best design elements of the whole property!

I know there is at least one other person on Trip Advisor that also owns a place at Newstead and she also loves it. I'm sure she will be on here to give you her thumbs up, as well!!

Edited: 29 March 2010, 21:13
USA
Level Contributor
27,542 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

The Newstead's location has always been wonderful, with the convenience of being just across the harbour from downtown...and wonderful harbour views...especially in the evenings.

We dropped in to the property duning summer 2008, shortly after it opened and the little we saw of the grounds, public spaces and suites was certainly pleasant (though contractors were still finishing up their 'punch list' at the time).

As noted, during the season the hotel does offers a limited schedule private ferry service to downtown...but in practical terms, you will probably find the regular, PINK route, public ferry, from the HODSON'S FERRY dock (immediately adjacent to the property) the most frequent and convenient option....and a damn pretty '..boat ride..'.. just for the helluv'it. The last ferry of the day from the Hamilton ferry terminal is at 9 PM (or so) so returning to Newstead later in the evening will be a short taxi ride 'round on the Harbour Road. Not even the most intrepid Bermudian driver (a few in-patients of St. Brendan's excluded) would want to pilot a bus along the Harbour Road.

Boston
Level Contributor
456 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

I just got back two weeks ago from a nice long weekend at the Newstead. My family has a fractional share, so I have stayed there 6 or so times since it reopened in 2008. Now as KDKSail says most of it is completely new, though the three cottages down by the water are merely completely renovated. The cottages have a bit of a more traditional feel, while the units in the main two buildings, are much more standardized, and somewhat larger. ALL have incredible views of Hamilton, the harbor and out towards the Great Sound. I have to agree with Bermudababe76 that the pool is just so nice, and as the resort is rarely if ever full (owners do not often use all their shares), the pool is rarely crowded. The one thing I think the resort has been lacking is a comfortable common living space. As most every unit has a living room, there did not seem to be a space where guests would gather at night, though the new lounge could fulfill that function if they want it to. There are many reviews on the left of this forum, and so far the resort has been very well received. Please let us know if you have any specific questions.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
281 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

Of course I will reply bermudababe...LOL..You know we both love it there, and the staff is great. Have stayed like 10 times since opening..views are fantastic, especially at night when you can sit on deck or balcony and watch the boats and lights of hamilton at night. They have free shuttle service daily at 11:30 to horseshoe bay and warwick long bay-and picking up at 4. Sometimes we take a cab back if we don't want to be at beach that long. Also has ferry over to town. It is great just hanging at the pool with pool bar and waitress service. Great restaurant Beau Rivage too.

Southeast U.S.
Level Contributor
32 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

Dear All,

I cannot thank you enough for the great information, very detailed and so helpful. It sounds like a wonderful place so as soon as we tie the exact dates down I am booking it!

Thank you again for your help.

George Town, Grand...
Level Contributor
277 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

I knew we would see you on this post, Bermudalover! LOL I didn't want to call you out by name in case you hadn't been on the board in a while.

In case you didn't know, Newstead has been rated #1 hotel in Bermuda on TripAdvisor. The negative review you see are from when the hotel first opened--and things were not up to par. All the latest reviews are very positive and say what those of us who love Newstead say.

9. Re: Newstead Belmont Hills

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2010, 05:18