We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Bermuda, general questions

Boston...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip to Bermuda, general questions

Planning a snorkeling trip on the 3rd week of August (16th or 17th) for a week. I don't want to ask questions that many people already asked, so I'm more just asking for confirmations of what I've learned in my research.

1: Weather - I'm worried about the hurricane season, but read that it's no big deal, and the weather, while cannot be guaranteed, should be ok during that week. Is this right?

2: Beach Snorkeling - We love snorkeling, but we're looking for really the best. Best we've seen is St. John and Turks/Caicos. I know people recommend Church Bay, Sapphire Beach, and Tabacco Bay to name a few, I'm more curious as to the conditions in August, like the waves and wind that could really mess up the visibility and conditions. Any thoughts?

3: Place to stay - We planned to stay originally in Somerset, but then realized that it is anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hour from the airport. We want to be able to reach everywhere. So we ended up in a vacation rental in Pembroke. Is that a good safe place to stay and are there any good snorkeling there within walking distance? Place has a kitchen, any good grocery stores in Pembroke?

4: Scooter rental - I know people recommend oleandercycles. But less about the price, I'm more concerned about safety. I heard people get into accidents and roads can be slick and not paved. Is it that scary? I originally wanted to rent it for a week to travel all over the island and visit all the beaches to snorkel during the week, but is that even practical? Or should just rent it for a day or two since it looks like they deliver? Because the way I see it, there are a bunch of snorkeling beaches near the bottom middle to south bay...probably could take the bus?

5: Boat rentals - in addition to snorkeling from beach, I was really excited at the boat rental idea...to be able to rent a boat (just the two of us) and explore the seas. From this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147255-i208-k5401…

It looks like there are several rental places in different places. My question, does it matter where I rent it? If I rent for an afternoon or even a day, is that enough to go all around the island? Of if that's not possible, then I gotta choose where I take off...so where would be best to explore and snorkel (picking from the places listed in that link)? Is there a place in Pembroke?

Of course wife would get sick of snorkeling at some point. Any other "must see" places in Bermuda?

Thanks for all the help. I tried to do as much research as I can before I ask a question...let me know if I'm completely off on some of these.

7 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

The average minimum temperature for Bermuda in august is 77 degrees F

The maximum temperature for the month is 84.

You could find out more by going to http://www.weather.bm/

If going snorkelling water temperature can reach as high as 85 degrees. The waves at Church Bay are said to get kind of rough sometimes.

I have heard Tobacco Bay is great for snorkelling.

When it comes to renting scooters, if you are concerned about safety, there is no need to worry.

Local companies will often show you the basics and give you safety tips,

Like Smatts http://www.smattscyclelivery.com/ or Elbow Beach Cycles http://www.elbowbeachcycles.com/ , who offer a YouDrive training programme to get you started.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

lemme see...

1 september is the most active month for hurricanes, but there is a medium probability in august, i wouldn't be too concerned about it. temps will be high 80s with humidity 70-80%+

2 church bay is by far the best beach snorkeling in bermuda, nearly as good as our offshore reefs. exact conditions on your day will depend on current weather and weather conditions the day before. try to be there at high tide. tobacco bay offers a rewarding experience for beginner or nervous swimmers but is a distant second to cb in quality and variety.

3 without knowing where in pembroke you are staying, it's hard to help. i can tell you that admiralty house, near spanish point has a tiny beach in a protected cove where you can head out of along the shoreline and see some decent stuff. the city of hamilton is in pembroke parish and has a few grocery stores, the best being miles market with prices to match the high quality.

4 i never recommend scooters to tourists. every year, hundreds of you get into crashes, most resulting in minor abrasions, many will go to the hospital for treatment, last year there was a medevac to boston, which resulted in a leg amputation, and evrey year, at least one tourist will die in a road traffic collision. get a bus/ferry pass.

5 since you are in pembroke, your closest boat rental location will be at barr's bay, next to albouy's point on front street, hamilton. www.aquaticbermuda.com rents a power catamaran with cooler and ice, stereo w/ ipod connector and perhaps most importantly to the females, a bathroom. your other choice is dreamcatcher boat rentals, but no stereo or bathroom, but maybe a lower price. no boat rental company allows their boats to go around the island. your limit at the west end is pompano beach and st davids at the east end.

for must sees i say gibb's hill lighthouse (top of) followed by a walk down to horseshoe bay. the main entrance is at the west end of the beach, walk all nthe way to the other end and pick up a trail we call "the dunes" this will take you along the shore, passing some truly spectacular tiny coves and beaches. lots of cliffs to climb for beautiful views. bring extra memory cards for all the photos. the trail ends at warwick long bay. if you are walking slowly and stopping a lot, it should take you about an hour or so, with lots of shade along the way.

Boston...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

Wow, thank you for the detailed explanation sonnysullivan! Seems scooter may not be the best to go. Is the boat rental worth it for exploration, or is it just more of the same beaches that's already accessible from the island?

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,293 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

you can see tons more from the water! there are beautiful areas only accessible by boat, like the paradise lakes area just outside of hamilton harbour, king's point at mangrove bay in somerset. then there are areas that you can't access by land due to private properties barring the way or simply too difficult to find without a local guide like ely's harbour all the way around to pompano beach. imo worth every penny.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,016 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

If you dont own a boat I would not "learn" on the ocean...just my thought as a boat owner. Even as an owner I would pass on going into the ocean in "forgein" land.

Boston...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

but it does say no experience necessary?

USA
Level Contributor
27,333 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Bermuda, general questions

You're not really "..going into the ocean.." (or going out on...'..going into..' in a boat would be bad)...but rather on Bermuda's inshore, coastal waters....inside the broad, protective barrier reef system and largely enclosed sounds, bays, harbours. And while it's true that no great experience is necessary to enjoy a day out on the water in a small, self-drive boat...you must still exercise reasonable caution and common sense.

Reply to: Trip to Bermuda, general questions
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pembroke Parish
More Pembroke Parish Topics