We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Reefs ok?

Which Southampton Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bonaire
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Reefs ok?

We are Reefs repeaters from 94 I think? I have been oh, 8 times. I expect amazing meals, great service and the standards the Reefs is so famous for...well, our friend just came back with an abysmal review. She said the owner is broke, the island is full of drug/gang issues, the service was bad, the food was so so and the rooms were run down..

We head back in June I hope..I always form my own opinion but read some similar reviews on TA that I NEVER would have seen in years past at the Reefs.

USA
Level Contributor
27,568 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

I might've gone along with this critique on the basis of '..opinons may vary...'....had the critic not bottomed-out the '...Credibility-meter..' with their comment on the financial condition of The Reefs. Unless this critic also happens to be David Dodwell's accountant...or an auditor for the investment group financing the new Residence Club project....how in the hell would a casual tourist know a damn thing about it ?? A finance degree from '..Some Guy In Some Bar Told Me University..' doesn't qualify.

Monmouth County,NJ
Destination Expert
for Southampton Parish
Level Contributor
2,298 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

Carib....I can say, we were there a year ago and the service, food, accomodations and attention given to the guests was the same as in years past. I too, don't know how credible the statement of the "owner being broke" can be. There have been changes, but that does not equate that the Reefs is in trouble. If I were you, I would go and form your own opinion. We plan on returning next year. Sadly, this would have been the week for us to visit...but too many things on our $$$ plate this year and not enough for a vaca at the Reefs.....Now, I just read about a deal coming out tomorrow.....errr...if only it were for this week!

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
384 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

I was there in early November, just for a hit-and-run visit (scoping out a location for a family thing) and the Reefs looked blessedly unchanged. I wonder if the whole incremental ownership thing hasn't been strained a tad by the economic collapse stateside, but to say they are broke is likely a vast overstatement. From all that I've heard from friends and seen firsthand, the place is rocking along beautifully. I say forget what you heard, go, and enjoy.

Happy trails.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

I hope that this isn't the same friend who had the blind date on the Cape.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
384 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

Ummm . . . maybe I'm missing something? No friends for me on the cape, so far as I know.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

I was talking to caribchakita.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

Just got back (two days before Igor) from a week at The Reefs. In my opinion, you need not worry, caribchakita. Food & service were up to standard, maybe even better. We stayed in a 'Deluxe' room - same as ever, and certainly clean. Management was regularly in evidence (especially the Dodwells and Philippe Haddad) and always solicitous for our input on the quality of our stay.

8. Re: Is the Reefs ok?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2011, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish