We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

Which Southampton Parish hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

I will shortly be staying in Bermuda in what sounds an excellent B & B, but have just noticed that they require payment when we arrive! To my mind that it totally out of the question. You pay when you have had the service - and tip according - not before.

Is this a quirk that applies only in Bermuda? Any similar experiences appreciated.

Bermuda sounds a great place, if it wasn't for everyone trying to make additional bucks on top of exhorbitant prices. I doubt we will go again and I don't say that often before we have even been there!

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

It's quite usual to pay these B&B/rental places when you arrive. We have done both over the years, on arrival and when we leave. In fact rentals on Cape Cod where we also go every year ask for full payment a couple of months before the stay commences. I can't say that I like it especially for a house rental of three weeks on the Cape but it seems to be widespread.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

I imagine that you will have a chance to look at the property and your room before you hand over the money so if you are happy with what you see you should not have much to worry about. Can you tell us where you are staying or how you found this place?

USA
Level Contributor
27,358 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

It is the owner's perogative...and a few simply prefer it this way. It's not '..common..' to Bermuda...but it's not unusual either.

It is your perogative to stay somewhere else if this owner's custom & practice is unacceptable or a matter of principle for you.

It's pretty much THAT simple.

For what it's worth...over several decades of travel to Bermuda, the number of alleged '..rip-off..' stories ('..alleged..'...not '..proven..') that I've heard can probably be counted on the fingers of one hand... On the other hand, the number of experiences that I've personally had, as well as the stories of many other visitors, of dealings with Bermuda businesses and Bermudians, going well above and far beyond merely honest and ethicl business practice in treating custoors would count in the several hundreds...and I'm just one visitor.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,720 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

I hope that you have noted carefully how they want paying. Sometimes cash for instance. Travellers cheques, bank draft. Occasionally a credit card is accepted. It doesn't bode well for your stay that you are harbouring negative thoughts before you even get there. Do you think that the B&B is charging exorbitant prices?

baltimore
Level Contributor
149 posts
411 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

We were required to pay cash for our B & B stay that I was not expecting, but luckily brought enough money. They took us to the airport for "free" which surprised us but greatly appreciated it since we had to pay cash.

Bermuda
Destination Expert
for Bermuda
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

" everyone trying to make additional bucks on top of exhorbitant prices."

How did you come to this conclusion? Has someone asked for more money from you before you have gotten here?

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

Yeah the fact that you've made that accusation against an entire country of people is not only offensive to someone like me who lives here, but perhaps it's an indication of your state of mind before you even arrive. First off, how can you say 'everyone'? Secondly, is this even the case in this one particular instance you've mentioned? Hardly if you ask me. I've had this same experience elsewhere in the world. At the least, your first and last night are 'held' on your card if not paid right up front.

It would be quite silly for a hotel or B&B to have a policy like you suggest, whereby they only collect money AFTER you've stayed there and 'had the service', as you put it. Do you realize how often they would be shafted out of money? It can and does happen even with the standard 2 night deposit that most places have instituted. However each business has the right to implement their own policies and you have the right to go elsewhere if you don't like them.

We love our visitors and welcome them all; but it's a bit silly to vacation in a place where you feel "EVERYONE (emphasis mine) is trying to make additional bucks on top of exhorbitant prices".

That's a pretty unfair generalization to make and I can't imagine you'll be able to enjoy a relaxing vacation, if you've already formed that prejudiced view of Bermuda and Bermudians.

Edited: 21 August 2012, 22:18
florida
Level Contributor
182 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

In everyplace we have ever stayed, with the exclusion of most hotel and motels, we had to pay upfront before the stay. However, at all hotel and motels, we had to use a credit card to make the reservation or when you check in, so they had that information to be sure you would pay before you left. We have stayed many times in Bermuda and always paid a deposit when the reservations were made and in full when we arrived and never had a problem.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

I was asking for experiences from other travellors so thanks for those, not snorts of righteous indignation from locals so apologies for my generalisation.

Payment upfront implies lack of trust but if it is the norm due to reluctance to use credit or debit cards then the norm it has to be.

Thanks to all for your frank comments ;-)

Pembroke
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: B & B requires payment when we arrive not when we leave!

Funny thing that^ I went to a football match in the UK recently and can you believe they had the nerve to make me pay upfront? Before the game even started! It's like they didn't trust me to pay after receiving the entertainment of watching the match! SMH

Sorry my friend, but it doesn't implies a 'lack of trust' at all; having had the experience of running a small hotel, I assure you it's only good business sense. Rather than POTENTIALLY having to chase someone for payment later, you secure it upfront (or at least a portion of it) or you can't operate your business.

Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish