We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February visit

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
February visit

Hello All,

I'm after a bit of advice for a potential family visit in a few weeks. We are a family of 4, including a 4 and 1 year old. We have the option of staying in a 2 bed suite at The Reefs, or all inclusive at Grotto Bay - is there a benefit of one over the other? It would be great to have the space at The Reefs, but will restaurants be open as I think it's out of season?

Also, will the pools be warm enough to swim in? From what I understand it's pretty easy to get around on the bus..will this be suitable for the kids and a buggy? Or better to hire a car?

What else would be good to do? Zoo? Etc.

Thanks in advance.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: February visit

It's really a personal choice, perhaps taking into consideration your budget. I suggest that you contact the Reefs for information about the restaurants on site. Coconuts will not be open until April.

There are no rental cars available to you so you will be using the excellent bus and ferry service and perhaps the occasional taxi to get around.

Go to the Bermuda forum and check the information in the green shaded line at the top of the page.

USA
Level Contributor
28,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February visit

>>>...We have the option of staying in a 2 bed suite at The Reefs, or all inclusive at Grotto Bay - is there a benefit of one over the other?...<<<

Depending on your proposed budget, the obvious advantage that Grotto Bay enjoys over the Reefs is cost. Both properties have heated swimming pools. GBBR will be a lot less expensive. GBBR will also have more and better public transportation (bus) connections than The Reefs. Beyond this, in almost any category you can name, The Reefs is far and away the better resort. As noted above, only the outdoor dining venue, COCONUTS, at The Reefs will be closed during your proposed visit. OCEAN ECHO and ROYSTON'S remain open.

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: February visit

Thank you for your help! I've emailed The Reefs and apparently the main hotel is closed for renovation, including the restaurants, so only the condo club area is open. The room looks amazing and would be great to have the space with the children vs GBBR where we would all be in the same room.

Breakfast is included and we would probably eat 1 meal a day in, so my question would be are there any restaurants within walking distance? I think Henry VIII's is?

Also, is it walking distance to a bus stop so we can get around? Are the bus connections good enough for a few days? With regard to taxis, is there a law with child seats? Should we bring our own for transportation from the airport?

Many thanks again!

USA
Level Contributor
28,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: February visit

Sorry...I thought that The Reefs had completed their renovation on the hotel portion of the property last winter. Evidently not. In the past, when they've closed down the hotel portion of the property and the restaurants during renovations, the reduced rates offered at the Club condos were very attractive.

Traveling with two small children in tow...HENRY VIII Restaurant is probably going to be the only restaurant that's within '..walking distance..' (approx. 150-200 yards) of The Reefs

There is a regular bus stop for the #7 bus route(s) located right out in front of the entrance to the Reefs Club building (a walk of a few steps). The #7 route runs until 9:15 PM so should serve you for most of your needs., From The Reefs Hotel & Club you can be at the Royal Naval Dockyard complex, at Bermuda's far west-end in 25-30 very pleasant minutes and in downtown Hamilton in 35 very pleasant minutes...with some 'take-your-breath-away' ocean views heading in either direction.

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: February visit

Thanks very much for your help! We look forward to our visit!

6. Re: February visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2016, 21:30
Edited: 24 June 2016, 21:30
Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: February visit

The stroller has to be small enough to take on the bus. Not a lot of room.

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: February visit

Thank you. my children are cooperation and very used to travelling, so hopefully we shouldnt have any major issues. My oldest is happy to walk long distances, but we also have a sling to carry our youngest so the buggy can be used by either child.

The buggy has fitted into the overhead bins on an aeroplane so hopefully is small enough?

Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
28,366 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: February visit

>>>...The buggy has fitted into the overhead bins on an aeroplane so hopefully is small enough?...<<<

That should be just fine and work well with public buses....so long as you're not the sort who thinks that trans-Atlantic steamer trunks qualify as '..carry-ons..' to stow in overhead storage compartments.

10. Re: February visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish