We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel for special occassion

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
hotel for special occassion

wentto Bermuda four times thirty years ago..then raised our kids...now husband is retiring. I am thinking of a five day surprisetrip with our two twenty something s to play golf , get some beach time, and party (we all like to party) my husband and daughter also like spa stuff. I'm remembering some dinner dress up rulesand wonderif that is widely still in force or gone..having said all that we are looking at early September ( I know allabout hurricanes, own a house on coast of Carolia, but the timing is good for us and if there is nota storm it should be nice).

I have looked at Pompano beach, whichseems well reviewed, but I wodnrif it isso far west Iwont be able to show my kids Hamilton or St Georege's any othe hotels of that quality that sound like what I'm after??? MAP not necessary,would rather notwear jackets to dinner, needs a beach and a bar.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel for special occassion

Bermuda is a very small island. You can easily see the whole island if you are going to be there for five days no matter where you stay. Pompano should be fine. Bus to Hamilton stops outside. Can't comment on the spa, partying requirements.

USA
Level Contributor
28,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel for special occassion

What '..dress codes..' that may remain for Bermuda's better dining rooms have been greatly relaxed over the years. These days, these are no more onerous than '..Smart/Resort Casual..'. This translate into no more than collared shirts and long pants (Bermuda shorts & knee socks okay...no jeans) and shoes for men at dinner (little more than a 7-11 convenience store's, '..No Shirt/No Shoes/No Service..' policy) But...no gentleman will feel the least bit over-dressed or out-of-place wearing a sportscoat/blazer or even (heaven forbid) a tie at dinner in any of Bermuda's better dining rooms.

Given your preferences, POMPANO BEACH CLUB should serve you purpose nicely...especially since the property is immediately adjacent to a couple of fairways of the PORT ROYAL GOLF COURSE. The travel time via public bus between PBC and downtown Hamilton would be approx. 40 very pleasant minutes...the Royal Naval Dockyard complex would be approx. 20 very pleasant minutes...via public bus and Orange route public ferry to downtown Saint George's approx. 70 very pleasant minutes....to all of the stretch of other great, south shore beached (Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Chaplin Bay, Stonehole Bay, Jobson's Cove, Warwick Long Bay, Astwood Cove, Elbow Beach) in approx. 3-to-30 minutes

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel for special occassion

The beautiful Grotto Bay beach Club may suit you.

www.grottobay.com

or the royal palm hotel

www.royalpalms.bm

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
135 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel for special occassion

thanks..we actually have stayed at Grotto Bay twice but most recently thirty years ago..it was our honeymoom hotel the first trip. The most recent reviews don't look quite so wonderful..when were you alst there??

USA
Level Contributor
28,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel for special occassion

>>>...stayed at Grotto Bay twice...<<<

If you've stayed at Grotto Bay Beach Resort in the past, you'd probably recognize most of it today. With the exception of the property's ongoing program of basic renovation, redecoration and up-dates, GBBR has remained pretty much the same. It's a mid-level resort hotel that usually offers the lowest rates of any of Bermuda's resort/hotel properties. Given the numbers of guests that GBBR sees each year, it's not at all surprising that there will be some negative reviews from time to time (every property gets 'em...deserved or not) but...overall, reviews for GBBR tend to be generally positive year-in / year-out. GBBR is what it is....a basic, mid-level/mid-priced property.

Wherever you decide to stay...be sure to bring the kids back to GBBR (for old time sake if no other reason) perhaps for lunch down at the RUM RUNNERS BAR between beach and pool and a swim in PROSPERO'S CAVE-- http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9in_pvorw0c/UCFTbUqAOVI/AAAAAAAACxo/uAKGH5k13bI/s1600/crystal-cave+prospero.jpg --down by the pool.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 01:25
Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel for special occassion

We recently stayed at Pompano Beach and Fairmont Southhampton. While both have golf courses, Pompano is much quieter and does not have much going on at night. The Fairmont provides ferry service into Hamilton and is also across from Horseshoe Bay Beach. It is a short walk to the lighthouse, which has a great restaurant and Henry the VIII. I , too, have twenty something children and feel they would have more fun at the Fairmont. Hope this helps!

7. Re: hotel for special occassion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Southampton Parish