We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Z Vans

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Z Vans

Can any local please tell me the difference between a ZR van (with purple stripe) and ZM. The concierge in the lobby told me to avoid the latter but I didn't ask him why.

thanks

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Z Vans

HI there,

Well the ZR denotes that the van is a Route Taxi and charges the same fare as the bus - making frequent stops on similar routes as the buses.

ZM vans are taxi's - just like regular taxi's but they are vans.

Sarah

Montreal
Level Contributor
698 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Z Vans

Scary

I notice many elderly Bajan ladies giving the Z vans the dirtiest of looks. I also notice that the vans are full of younger people.

Do the elderly folks stay away from Z vans and prefer govt. buses?

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Z Vans

To by perfectly honest with you the ZR drivers tend to be some of the worst drivers on the roads and if you don't mind whizzing along at the speed of light, they are an experience lol, to say the least. They cram people in too, with passengers sitting on the wheel arches and each others laps during rush hour!

The Blue Transport Board buses also tend to drive very fast but the actual buses feel much safer even when full.

I think that older people in general feel much safer not going on ZR's to be honest.

Sarah

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Z Vans

People of pension age get free transport on government buses and they would have to pay on ZR's so thats why they dont use them

US
Level Contributor
189 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Z Vans

Riding the mini-buses can be culture shock, but there's something about being crammed in, with the RAP cranked up, that is part of the Barbados experience! Truthfully, I prefer the government buses, but sometimes they are running few and far between, so we opt to test our guardian angels in the ZR's. Usually, the operators are good about letting you put your groceries, etc, in the front so that you're not trying to hold on for dear life with one arm!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
997 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Z Vans

Funny story while we were there. We were walking on our way to The Gap and saw an elderly Canadian couple from our hotel wave down a ZR van. The van had the tunes cranked and was packed full. The van stopped, the tunes got lowered for a minute, the folks in the van shifted to make room as the elderly couple boarded, the door slammed shut, the music was cranked again and off they went.............................

we thought good for them. We only hoped they left their glasses at home so they didn't have to witness the driving.

7. Re: Z Vans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 08:20