We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about Barbados

Toronto
3 posts
Save Topic
Questions about Barbados

I have a few questions and would love it if someone could answer them for us, or at least some. Here goes.

1. What electricity is in the hotels? Same as Canada?

2. When going to Dominican and Cuba we take gifts for the hotel staff. What do people do when they go to Barbados? Gifts? Tips? Are they poor like other countries?

3. IS it better to bring US or Cdn money or better to use debit machines or banks while there?

4. Do they have slushie drinks at the hotels?

5. Do they have diet coke or pepsi or is it some other diet soft drink?

6. Where is the water good for boogie boarding?

7. Can you take the bus and get off at various beaches to go snorkelling?

8. If you go out into town somewhere, do you bring chocolate or things for kids?

I know some of these questions might sound silly but we are so used to Dominican and Cuba. We would not have been going here except we won an all expenses paid trip for 2 including spending money from our local radio station, CHUMFM. 30 winning couples are going.

Any info would be great.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about Barbados

And I thought I had heard everything!!.......!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about Barbados

I 'll answer your question in the same order as you asked them:

1. Same electrical as Canada

2. no gifts..this is not a poor country

3. Bring some $US and use debit machine

4. No to slushies at hotel but you can probably find some at a cafe

5. Diet Coke and Pepsi in full supply

6. Yes most beaches

7. Yes

8. No

Congratulation on your winnings...You will find that Barbados is very different than D.R. and Cuba...you are going to an island that has very high education standards and that the people are very proud and self sufficient..I have travelled to 15 carribean islands and Barbados is one of the most advanced in education,life style values both socially .economically and politically....enjoy your trip..Laurie

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about Barbados

ANDYLU:-well put- thanks.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about Barbados

Ahhhh Breakfast in Barbados! Popular contest here.

You've now been told pretty much everything you needed to know. We have a fellow Ontario buddy who moved to Barbados 5 years ago and we've been 3 times since.

There are more and more bank machines all over and first thing you will notice is a lot of CIBC, ScotiaBank and the such. Money withdrawls are fairly cheap as far as fees go.

We did use a hotel last year as our friends had way too many people at their place, anyways unless we left a note the housekeeping lady would not touch the money we left so we made it up to her. You can order some Bajan money at a currency exchange place, we try to have about 100 Bajan dollars but also bring a few hundred US funds just remember US to Bajan is 2 to 1.

The east coast is rougher waters you will enjoy. Also you can drink the water in Barbados.

ZR buses are the way to travel around Barbados. The only thing you don't want to bring is camoflage clothes they are illegal. Go to Oistens fish fry on Friday night you'll love it.

Cheers

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,774 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about Barbados

1. same electricity as canada

2. Barbados is one of the wealthiest if not the wealthies island in the english speaking caribbean. tips are suitable and very common.

3. bring the USA and credit cards....preferably VISA and Mastercard.

4. Not sure about slushie drinks.......you get them at some Esso gas stations.

5. coke and pepsi in islandwide supply.

6. excellent

7. yes you can

8. no you don't. that's just weird.

Congratulations. i listen to Chum online all the time. Last year they bbrought Nelly Furtado to Barbados with the couples. Usually everyone stays at the Turtle Beach Resort and flies on Air Canada.

Javon

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about Barbados

A few clarifications:

Check with your bank in Canada to see what their fees are for both ATM withdrawals and purchases while on the island. Many are quite steep. Some credit cards charge not only a fee for the transaction itself but a "foreign exchange" fee and an additional exchange fee on top. The Capital One credit card in the US is notorious for this.

The formula for Diet Coke in the Caribbean is different and is often called "Coke Light". Some like it better than the North American version, others find it bland and flat. It just isn't the same as you will find back home.

I know why you asked about the chocolate but, while there is certainly economic disparity on the island, you won't find the staggering poverty or lack of essentials common in the DR or Cuba.

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions about Barbados

hmmm, I often wonder if there is an echo here in tripadvisor? Otherwise, why would Geneticsniper answer the same questions that have already been answered, in virtually the exact same way? I'm not inviting an arguement (let's hope andydoodah doesn't spot this), just curious and mildly puzzled.

8. Re: Questions about Barbados

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2007, 13:29
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,193 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions about Barbados

Maybe they are one and the same person!!!

Joking apart, it's just one of these things I think.

Give the guy a break.

Emelda

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions about Barbados

Yeah I have noticed the echo thing too....not sure what that's all about!

Sarah