We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Church Services

SC
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Church Services

My husband and I are returning to Barbados in May. It has been 23 years since our first visit and we're extremely excited about coming back. One of the things I enjoy doing when time permits is attending church services, either Sunday or mid-week servcies (depending upon the denomination) when traveling. I can't seem to find info for a Presbyterian church, my first preference, although I have obtained info on other protestant churches. We're staying at "Villas on the Beach." Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Church Services

I personally don't know where the Villas on the Beach is located however my wife and I went to a really nice service at the St. Lawrence church in the Gap. I've never been to a service like this one where you have a beautiful view of the ocean to gaze at through the church's open windows.

Dan

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Church Services

Any Anglican Church would be about as close to the Presbyterian as you might get in Barbados. Sunday Church services are generally early.. 7:00am/8:00am/9:00am.. and timing isn't kept to the stict hour.. hour and 15min.. hour and a 1/2.. or more.. depending.

I also don't know where Villas on the Beach is located, so can't help, but there are "plenty nuff" Anglican churches in Barbados, you should have any problem finding one to attend.

Barbados.org would give you a good idea of where some of the more well known churches are located.

Canada
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
9,746 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Church Services

If you are staying on the West coast we can recommend St James Anglican parish church. Enthusiastic and friendly congregation when we were there. Very pretty coral built church which has recently had some restoration.

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Church Services

Villas on the Beach is on the West Coast opposite the Chattel House shops.

Vancover
Level Contributor
700 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Church Services

clemsonfamily

From your Villas on the Beach base walk out to main street facing Super centre Supermarket and West Mall shops , then turn left and walk a few paces to and cross at pedestrian crossing from beach side to shops side of street, walk pass Petrol station - Dry Cleaner KFC complex and Royal Bank building and wow a there is lovely little Holetown Methodist Church on the corner - the windows have blue glass and there is beautiful l blue sky feel inside the church with very gothic features .

# Do walk over before Sunday to get service times or call from Villa using island tele directory.

-or walk another 6-8 mins in same direction north on coast road pass Holetown and Discovery Bay on the beach side of the road to the St James Parish Church - the is one with the the famous old bell their church bell that pre dates American Liberty Bell by 54 years built in 1684 .

The island has many unusual churches filled with many wonderful windows stories paintings etc. and a very old but well maintained synagogue and all are well worth a rain day event to visit some different churches on island

OR a 10 miss car drive form Villas on the beach to the stunning cliff side Catholic St Francis in St James or another 10mis by car St Peter Parish Church which is gorgeous architecture and is a Georgian style

The Island it is said has a church or chapel for each day of the year @ 365 to go to without repeating a visit - from catholic - anglican- moravian - methodist -baptist- pentecostal- seven day adventist - weleyan - united - etc..

so go out and visit - tour a few while on holiday .

enjoy suntrav

SC
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Church Services

Thanks to every one for your wonderful responses! If you really want to get the feel for the place you are visiting and help establish relationships and get to know folks, I have found that taking the time to worship, no matter what the denomination, is the best way. SInce I've never attended an Anglican service, this will be a new adventure-among many, I hope- in Barbados!

7. Re: Question about Church Services

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 01:16