We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beaches general

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
beaches general

We get a lot of people saying things like "can we swim on the South coast" because its sooo ROUGH when ,with the exception of the southeast onwards,it's just a bit less calm than the West rather than downright ROUGH.

I've started a new topic on the insider pages titled "beaches general comment" to hopefully explain the types of beach under one heading, hope this is OK with you all, especially the locals (feel free to edit) I won't be (too ) upset!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beaches general

thats great John. Glad you can help. (now if we can get people to read the insider pages that would be even better...)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
777 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beaches general

Excellent!! That is very helpful - the range of sea types/conditions is incredible when you consider how small the island is. BTW, I hadn't realised it was only 21 miles long, (couldn't drive it from one end to the other in 45 minutes that's for sure!!! )

Personally I thought the sea was "pretty rough" everywhere on Barbados by comparison to Jamaica anyway!! The east is totally unsuitable for swimming but the beaches have notices warning you that it isn't allowed, (at Bath we did swim though) no signs there and the sea is very shallow and quite smooth - also a Life guard there called Silver.

The Crane which claims to be one of the best beaches in the world (NOT for my money it isn't) was also "unswimmable" but you could play in the big rollers and body boarders were having great fun.

Even the west coast wasn't really "lapping" and gentle during the time we were there (10/3 to 27/3) - the undertow was quite strong and getting out of the sea was often not easy in so far as the swell would pull you back in. I am not a strong swimmer though so that may have had an effect. The nicest place for me personally was at Cocomos.

It is all relative though isn't it? One man's rough is another man's tame and certainly the water is beautifully clear and fresh wherever you go and the colours are amazing, MInd you, other guests at P&Q told us they had never known the sea so rough and high at this time of the year. So maybe it's a global warming climatic thing (again) and perhaps in May the sea is dead calm all over. I shall be interested to read JTD's reports. I have been uploading our photos and will post a few of the "boiling sea" over the next few days, so people can see what I mean and comment on their own experience, I hope.

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beaches general

Susannah,

How was your holiday? Can't wait for photos, I am having serious withdrawals - five weeks and counting!!!

Tried to message you on TA but doesn't seem to be working?

Don't know if you can mail me?

Emelda

Glasgow
Level Contributor
777 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beaches general

Hello Em

Lovely holiday thankyou. Drove all over the place and loved it. His nibs enjoyed it too, cos I normally don't get behind the wheel on holiday but this year I took over (except for the evening trip to the restaurants....;) ) He doesn't miss his booze you see but I do!!!

Only one whinge about driving...and it is the same whinge as at home..

WHY DON'T THEY use their indicator lights especially at roundabouts?????????? Admittedly they go dead slow, but it is a pet hate of mine, that people just can't be ar*ed to let other people know which exit they are taking. It isn't hard is it?? I mean it is a flick of a finger up or down....infuriating it is but, as I say it is just as bad at home!!

Food was smashing, loads to do and see, loved the green monkeys and love my green stoned ring even more .;) Didn't swim with the turtles but did see one in the sea at Fitts, he was very close in and just stuck his head out the waves right at the shoreline bless him. Heard the Gospel singing at Crane, but brekkie at P&Q knocked it into a cocked hat...but the whole experience was lovely. The last hymn "Use me Lord" (I think it was) sung by a young girl was very moving, had me in tears. X Factor for her!!

Weather was generally very good, but if anything it was better earlier on in the holiday, last day or two were cloudy.

Virgin - Well!! are they good or are they great??????????? No complaints at all, we were very well treated both ways, sparkling wine on boarding, good wide seats, decent food, digestifs etcetc. And as for checking in? Well I have never experienced anything like it. Gatwick, we just strolled into the airport dumped our cases and off through Security - easy peasy. There were 5 staff at Bridgetown and only his nibs and me checking in....just too easy, not a queue in sight .

So Em, not long for you now, then?? Early May?? I have elected not to get messages box but I shall open it up to drop you a wee line - coupla questions I would like to ask you.

Best regards

Sus

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beaches general

Hi Susannah

Glad to hear you had such a good time. I'm off just before Emelda and can't wait - 4 weeks tomorrow. Would love to see any pics you have.

Nicky

Glasgow
Level Contributor
777 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beaches general

Hi Nikki

Thank you for your kind words. Good to hear from you.

We had a great time thanks, loved it!!

Pleased to hear you are off yourself quite soon - time you just moved there and done with it kiddo!!! lol But in the meantime, you'll be one of the all comers attending Em's bbq then...? ;)

Photos are on the home PC waiting to go onto photobucket and then here.....hope to get it done before the weekend. But I ain't no David Bailey so don't expect too much!!!

Regards

Sus

Glasgow
Level Contributor
777 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beaches general

Sorry I spelt you wrong again Nicky, I apologise. For some reason I see kirimist and think Nikki....... sorry!!!

S

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,490 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beaches general

It's OK, don't worry, I am used to it. People at work who have to type "nicky" in as part of my email address still send the email addressed to "Nikki"!!!

We will definitely be at Emelda's BBQ, the villa she's staying at looks absolutely fab, i checked out the web site....wow! It will be really good to meet some more TA'ers. Met up with GEM last year, and plan to meet Babiface towards the end of my hols, and Pam will be loitering around on Coral Mist's beach under the tree! Can't wait to visit my second home!

Nicky

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,792 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beaches general

Hi Susannah,

I enjoyed reading your post above and you did make me laugh with all the comments. We go in 8 weeks and it can't come soon enough. I look forward to your photos, David Bailey or not!

Jackie

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: beaches general

Ermmm about those beaches!!