We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Montreal
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

1)I will be staying over Easter week-end. Are the FLower forest and Orchid gardens open, and are they worthwhile? Which is the best of the two? How long to figure for each? I know they sell a ticket with which both can be accessed.

2) I have booked dinner at Southsea but they do not have any pricing on their website. I am looking for an upscale restaurant, but don't want to get slaughtered! I checked out L'Acajou which is ridiculously overpriced. I am familiar with the Cliff. How does Southsea compare price-wise???

3) Do they serve food at the Oistins fish festival?

4) Where can I get the BEST flying fish in Barbados. I tried it at one place during my last stay and I wasn't impressed... I'd love to try it again for lunch!

Thanx.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Yes I expect the Flower Forest and Orchid World will be open for part if not all of the weekend - they are both gorgeous so enjoy - take about 45 mins at both at least.

Southsea is expensive and similar prices to the Cliff I understand.

If you have been to Barbados before then you must know that where there's a party in Barbados, there's food and drink! so in answer to 3 YES

Well what didn't you like about flying fish - they're only small fish and really apart from frying them ther's not a lot else to do with them so maybe they are just not for you - for small fish they are very fishy fish - they are served most places so just go try them again and see what you think!

Sarah

Perth AUS
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

hello is the flying fish restaurant at the south gap hotel any good. I have booked a table for the 12th of april.

opinions would be grateful

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Well it's actually run by a friend of mine who also has Bay Bistro just around the corner and it recently got a Zagat award so i would say yes you should not be disappointed!

Sarah

Perth AUS
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

scary, I take it her name is michelle, she included 2 free rum punches with the booking which was nice of her.

Im looking forward to my time in Barbados/grenada

flying to london tommorow.

Thanx for the reply regards Dwaine

Australia
Level Contributor
563 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Dwaine

How's the Aussie's going with the cricket? I hope you enjoy Barbados, I know u will. Only 6 weeks left until I am there for 3 months and counting down. hehehee

Jen

Perth AUS
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

hi jen australia havnt lost a game yet. They are on top of the ladder, they play the poms on the 8th of april. Should be another easy victory :) . Im wondering what are the best Pubs?Clubs for singles in Barbados? Regards Dwaine

London, England
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Hi there -

Restaurant at Southsea is great for a nice meal out. Is less expensive than The Cliff, but i would still describe it as expensive. Still, you most certainly get what you pay for - superb food, great setting (by the sea) and service that, in my opinion, is far superior to that of The Cliff. Classy but unpretentious. Romantic too.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
676 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Can I mention both Champers and Aqua. They are approx half the price of the Cliff for a meal for two with wine and both offer lovely food and good views.

I prefer upstairs in both restaurants. Downstairs at the Aqua, you may find yourselves perched on quite high stools for eating. I didn't mind but some people found them uncomfortable as they couldn't "pull themselves in". Beautiful food.

The upper floor of Champers in non smoking but the setting is nicer than ground level - or I thought so anyway. Airier somehow and very relaxed. Great grub..

Cafe Luna (at Little Arches) was also very veyr good food - you are seated on the roof of the hotel so the views over Enterprise Beach are loebly. A bit of aircraft noise though as it is on the flight path. Massive delicious meals there, and I mean MASSIVE!!

Didn't try Southsea although it was on our list. We went past it often though and it seemed busy and has a lovely setting. Quite pricey from the menu book we were given. This was a very useful magazine, it was called Menu and detailed all Barbados restaurants (except the Cliff !!) giving location, sample menus, details of car parking, opening hours, dress code and guide prices. Are any of the locals familiar with it? We were given it by friends we made over there, they may have got it in a hotel?

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

Great to read all the good stuff about the St Lawrence Gap area.

We are visiting the South Gap Hotel mid May (travelling from the UK)

Can anyone advise whether we should take US $ or Bajan $ with us for daily food/drinks. What do the local bars prefer?

Really looking forward to some sunshine

Glasgow
Level Contributor
676 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flowers? Southsea restaurant? Oistins festival? Flying fish

We took quite a lot of US $ with us thinking it would be helpful to have them - it was in Jamaica but they seem to have a dual currency system there.

In Barbados we wish we hadn't taken US in the end because it just confused us a bit. You can certainly use US dollars to buy pretty well anything but your change will always be in $BDS. All the tills have a converter on them - so if you give over US, the till converts the bill to US and then calculates your change in Bajan.

In the end we brought back quite a lot of the US dollars we had taken and drew Bajan dollars at the ATMs. Loads of banks and ATMs around so drawing cash is very easy.

Having said all that, I suppose you could get BDS$ at the high St banks (or Marks and Spencer (!! the best!!)) here but I am not sure.

I wouldn't bother with travellers cheques anyway.