We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currancy

Norfolk
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
Currancy

Hi, we are arriving on the 02/09. What currancy is best to bring, US dollar or Barbados dollar please?

11 replies to this topic
PMP
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,454 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Currancy

Take US. Don’t buy BBD in the UK. If you want to take enough US to last a few days and then use ATMs for extra cash as/when you need it. I take leftover BBD and US, use ATMs and also use debit/credit card to pay for more expensive items like dinners and tours etc. Halifax Clarity cards are good, you don’t get charged extra foreign exchange fees, and then pay it all off when home.

Some people like to go to a bank to exchange £ to $BB but we don’t want to queue in a bank, or carry larger amounts of cash around with us.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
271 posts
65 reviews
2. Re: Currancy

Agree re US$ and using your card for large purchases and extra cash.

Make sure you ask for a few low notes to cover you for porter services at the airport and your taxi-driver tip to your accommodation.

Bear in mind though that all restaurants/shops where you use cash will give any change in BDS$ so you'll soon end up with a supply!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,597 posts
72 reviews
3. Re: Currancy

But also bear in mind that the official rate of the Bajan Dollar to the US Dollar is not 2 to 1, so you may get less change than you expect.

Taking US Dollars means you are changing your money twice which is not cost effective, but if you don't want to go to a bank ( and I'm not sure why you wouldn't ) then you have no choice.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Currancy

Sharon ...

There is, IMO, no 'best' way to do this - it depends so much on your personal preferences and which cards you may hold

I no longer take US$ ...double exchange rate, don't like two currencies in my pocket ( you always get change for US$ in BDS$) ...and I don't like queuing at a bank

If you use US$ at any shop / restaurant with an EPOS machine you will get 1.98 BDS$ to the US$... at best ...more likely 1.95 or 1.93

Best rate is always achieved by taking £GB to a Barbados bank ...which given your short time frame might be the best way to go. Don't forget to take your passport with you to the bank ...and don't go to a bank early in the morning - especially on Monday !!!

I always take left over BDS$ and/or order BDS$ from a UK online bureaux ...ordering enough to get free delivery ...just Google 'best barbados dollar exchange rate'

There are many options ,,,including collecting from your local supermarket or a timed delivery at home

If you need some currency for Day1 .... I would take BDS$ from the above

When in Barbados I use one of my debit or credit cards with ZERO fees ..again a number to chose from

Do check your own debit / credit card to see what fees they charge ...if can make a big difference to the effective exchange rate. If you do not have zero fee card ... I doubt you will get one before you leave

The best card at present is the Barclaycard Platinum Travel Card ... a full ZERO card for all fees and charges until August 2022. It may be worth giving them call to see if they can supply one before you leave

Have a great holiday!!

Norfolk
Level Contributor
38 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Currancy

Thank you for all the information, I think we’ll do what you’ve all adviced. US dollar to start with 👍🏻

7 posts
6. Re: Currancy

Hi Everyone, sorry to hijack a thread but I think I'm being a bit dim! What's the benefit of buying US dollars here instead of Bajan ones? Thanks in advance!

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
14,597 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Currancy

It depends where you live ? If you are from the UK, the banks in the UK give a really bad rate for Bajan dollars, so we usually advise that you get a few US Dollars to tide you over until you can get to a bank in Barbados where you can change your GB Pounds for the best rate of exchange.

7 posts
8. Re: Currancy

Amazing, thank you!

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
5,486 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Currancy

Rum Sally

It is a personal thing but ... in my view there is an advantage of taking BDS $ - only one currency to deal with ...you always get change in BDS$ when using US$

Also there is a double exchange rate effect if you take US$ ...£GB>US$>BDS$

.... and if using US$ at an EPOS machine you will get 1.98 / 1.97 / 1.95 BDS$ to the US$

Most traders dealing in cash will give you 2 BDS$ to the US$ but some now convert at a lower rate

If you look out the best UK deal from an online bureaux for BDS$ and choose an amount for free delivery - the difference is not that great

Aldershot
Level Contributor
44 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Currancy

Hi. No one on here mentions exchanging money in your hotel. Is this no longer an option? Last time I was in Barbados, admittedly a few years ago, I seem to recall we exchanged our £ at reception and got a decent rate of exchange. Has anyone done this recently?

Reply to: Currancy
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted