We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

We're planning to take a Cool Runnings sunset snorkel cruise the first week of December. What is the likelihood that we will actually encounter/swim with the sea turtles that the website advertises are around in abundance?

Barbados
Level Contributor
318 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Almost Guaranteed. All the boat owners know exactly where they 'hang out'. We were out 2 weeks ago and we had more than 6 turtles swimming with us! Awesome.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Yep. Pretty much a certainty. The Cool Runnings Sunset Cruise was great - we did it a few months ago. The quality of the sunset can't be assumed though but I'd be very suprised if you don't have a fantastic time.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

At risk of appearing 'grumpy' ---I wish people would leave the Turtles alone, it's like 'the donkey on the beach' now - at least we haven't got dolphins as well!

When the Turtles were1st ''discovered''

it was a secret & very ''low key'' I gather now it's like a rugby scrum with lots of boats jockeying for the best spot.

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

JOHNTHEDOG,

You seem to have some sort of personal grump against me. I know turtles are a protected species which I would never dream of touching or disturbing. I asked because I'd really like to see them in the wild, not because I wanted to play with them, turn them into stew, or take them home as pets.

The greatest part of travel, for me, is observing and admiring the different cultural attributes, cuisine and species of wildlife in beautiful places like Barbados. If that makes me a pain to you, then so be it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Chicago,

you go girl meowwwwwwwww

JTD

stop being so naughty,

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Read what I said --I wish PEOPLE would leave the turtles alone, didn't mention you at all, just used the opportunity to voice a conservation issue concerning innocent wild creatures that are being manipulated for human entertainment.

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

JDT:

I appreciate your stance. There is more than enough destruction going on in the ocean with overfishing and trolling and the like. I am just appreciative the turtles are still there so that I can see them.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

I appreciate why people like to do this, have been myself some time ago, it was just one little boat then ...us & truly wild animals in a one to one almost by chance encounter - now it's got out of hand, lots of boats feeding fish to them which I understand is not their natural food.

Chicago
Level Contributor
267 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Like sea turtles, Chilean Sea Bass can live as long as a hundred years and they are one of the most desired dishes in many places... it's so sad.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Likelihood of actually encountering turtles

Stop digging!!