We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime against tourists?????

Newfoundland,Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Crime against tourists?????

My Friends and I are considering going to Barbados in Oct. 2007. I have been told that the rate of crime against tourists has increased in the last few years. I would appreciate any information you can give me on the subject.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime against tourists?????

Told by who???..........the Iraqi Tourist Board??.....dont worry, its not that bad in Barbados, go and have a good time!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
450 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime against tourists?????

Allannah: Take the same precautions you would in St. Johns, just use common sense and you'll have no problems. We've been there five times (our sixth is coming up next March) and we have never felt even remotely threatened.

Go and enjoy your holiday. The Bajan people are the biggest reason we keep returning. They are truly kind and like to show tourists what a wonderful place their island is.

Most importantly, get out and explore the island and meet the people. it's the best way to ensure a memorable experience.

Brian

Level Contributor
5,896 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime against tourists?????

Just take the normal safety precautions as you would anywhere you go even if at home.

We just returned and we felt safe walking around downtown Bridgetown. I'm sure like anywhere else there are areas where you should not venture even for the locals.

leeds west yorks
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime against tourists?????

hi

I travel to Barbados two or three times a year often travelling on my own and have never had any problems. Go and enjoy yourself Barbados is truly a wondeful place

Dena

England
Level Contributor
66 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime against tourists?????

I went to Barbados last year for the first time with my daughter we had no male company and we had the time of our lives. I felt a lot safer in Barbados than I do in my own home town in the UK. I would not feel safe sitting outside my house at night yet I could do so outside my hotel. Don't misunderstand me I know you need to be cautious not just at home but abroad as well, however I felt safe doing this because all I encountered were friendly bajans saying hi, making us welcome and introducing tthemselves. Let's not forget crime exists everywhere but it's definitely a lot lower in Barbados than in many other destinations. My suggestion to you would be to go and enjoy yourself. My experience last year was so memorable that on the 25th August 2007 BARBADOS LOOK OUT here we come again.

durham
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime against tourists?????

we were in barbados in may 2007 loved the people yes you still to use caution but you can mix with the locals in fact we had a visitor from barbados yesterday

they love the tourists go and enjoy

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,129 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime against tourists?????

I've travelled to Barbados a few times on my own and have walked out at night and felt safe. Obviously you take the same precautions you would at home, but the vast amjority of Bajans are wonderful people. Yes, you get the odd bad egg, but you get those everywhere.

Nicky

Nottinghamshire
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime against tourists?????

The kind attitude of the people there are one of the many reasons i want to return! Hope you have a great time.

Jo9
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime against tourists?????

I have gone there twice as a single/ (very firmly attached to a lovely man) but lonesome traveller (he had already booked to do a lads thing).

As a female I expected a lot of hassle but a simple 'my man is back in Hastings/Worthing', 'I have a man in Orange Hill' even though its not true allows you to wander the beaches with little trouble.

The islanders have great dignity in the main and will leave you alone if that is what you wish.

I will be back soon for my 10th visit and hope that the memories I have of previous times still ring true.

UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime against tourists?????

agree. have taken many unaccompanied trips to BB and have had no probs. i