We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
89 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Hi all! Does anyone know about how to transport some Barbados beer and rum onto the plane? Do you buy it from the duty free shop at the airport and they let you carry it on? Or do you buy it wherever and take it with you? Just curious if anyone has done this with all the "no liquids allowed" carry on policies. We are travelling from Barbados back to the U.S. tomorrow (boo hiss) If we can't take the island with us, we want to at least take the Banks beer and the Mount Gay Rum! :-)

Lynn

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Hi. I can tell you that there shouldn't be a problem with the duty free purchases at the airport, but you'll probably find the prices for the run cheaper in the grocery stores. That's what we usually do, then wrap it well, put it in a plastic bag and into our suitcase.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Don't know what the restrictions are for the US but coming home to England we bought Mount Gay Rum & Malibu in Barbados & had no problem carrying it on in hand luggage. It's hard going home isn't it? No doubt you'll soon be booking your next trip!!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Actually the price is usually cheaper in the supermarket than the airport (someone has to pay for all the renovations!) and it is possible to buy both plastic bottles of Mount Gay rum and Banks beer - just pack them in your case - that's the easiest!

Sarah

SC
Level Contributor
37 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Lynn:

When we bought rum in the duty free shop at the airport in May, we were told by the employees that it had to be boxed and then treated as checked luggage. Sure'nuff, when we got in line for our Delta flight, we were told we had to be checked and we could declare it when we went through customs in Atlanta. Not having any checked luggage at the time, and not wanting to spend the extra time waiting around in the luggage terminal for the rum, we opted to leave the liter at the gate, so some lucky BGI airport employee got to take it home with them, I suppose. We got to tell our son about his "Almost" present! It made for a good story..... So, you may just want to go for plastic containers as some one else has suggested, and try to get it through in your checked luggage. Not sure how that will go over with the folks monitoring the x-ray machines when your luggage must go through customs, but what the hay... live a little dangerously! Liz

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Mount Gay Rum actually started with these plastic bottles many years ago so that people could pack them in their luggage without worry of spillage.. Rum is duty free as it's made here so to be honest the supermarket is one of the best places to buy it.

It will just show up as a bottles of liquid on the xray and most poeple here know what that looks like....If I remember correctly they seem to be more concerned with what liquids you take on board as cabin baggage so this avoids all of that - like wise with cell phones etc.

Sarah

Boston
Level Contributor
245 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

Hi,

I take a bottle home every year and I buy it at the supermarket and pack it in my checked luggage.

You can buy at the airport and carry onto the plane departing BGI, but once you land in the US, you must check it as you will not be able to carry it onto your connecting flights to your final destination.

When I cleared customs in Phily last time I saw a few people opening their bags and placing the rum inside before re-checking the bag.

Of course I saw a few people who did not do this only to be told at security they could not carry on board the rum they had bought on holiday :(

Jon

7. Re: how to take beer, rum away from the island with us

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 16:19