We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

Trying to choose between a trip to DR/Cabarete or Barbados in late Decebmer 2007 -- anyone been to both and have thoughts on which one is better for a 30-something, active couple?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

Have been to both several times and ironically will be in Punta Cana in March and Barbados in April ...Barbados for me is my favorite Carribean destination ,,,the two locations are quite a contrast and I could not recommend one over the other without knowing more of what your looking for in a vacation . Both offer lots of sun, beaches and good restaurants but DR is mostly restricted to AI and what is offerred on the compound,whereas Barbados has more variety and being a small island allows you more diversity in things to do outside of your hotel or resort..Laurie

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

Having been to both I'm defintely partial and recommend Barbados.

Why?

It has everything you can find anywhere else in DR, is cleaner, safer, the quality of life is equal to what we have in Canada in all respects.

I suggest you go into the overview section and just search out the things you like to do such as beaches, day sailing cruises, restaurants, night life, car rentals, tours. Do the comparison and hopefully you'll agree.

Without a doubt there will be some who will disagree, which is fine as this is just my opinion having been to both many times and finally decided to just visit Barbados as it has what I like. Great people and just a laid back life style.

Chicago, IL
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

We were in the DR last year, and we'll be in Barbados for the first time next week. So though I can't compare the two yet, I can tell you that we stopped in Cabarete briefly. It's basically a busy road and a beach FULL of windsurfers. Not recommended. We enjoyed Las Terrenas a great deal, though it's a bit of a drive to get there. The thing that you need to know about the DR is that it is basically a third world country. Beautiful beaches, but a lot of poverty contrasted with a lot of all inclusive resorts. This, coupled with abysmal spanish, made for a sometimes awkward vacation. Greatly looking forward to a more relaxing time in Barbados next week!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

I've been to both and in my opinion there is no comparison. You cannot walk outside your 'compound' at night in DR unlike Barbadoes where we walked everywhere at all times and felt always safe.

In DR it would have to be AI whereas Barbados you have the choice.

I liked the beach better in Barbados and of course as I justed stated the food was far better.

DR is less expensive for sure but you know you get what you paid for.

All the best.

Dan

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
493 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

I'm glad carribdiys jumped in with an opinion, it was beginning to look like a Canadian monopoly.

We've been to DR once, to the Boca Chica area, and we did some trips to Santo Domingo and other area towns. We rented a taxi to do so because I wasn't comfortable with the level of security we felt and didn't want to drive a rental.

Hispaniola is a beautiful island, much bigger than Barbados, but, as someone has already said, it is a third world country with depressing poverty very evident. We were constantly harrassed by pedlars and, unlike the Bajans, they wouldn't take "No thanks" for an answer. Every ATM we saw was guarded by a man carrying a shotgun.

If you are looking for a holiday with the freedom to see the country and meet the people in an atmosphere of relaxed friendliness and safety, go to Barbados. If you want to stay on the AI resort all the time and never leave, then the DR may be OK for you.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip.

Brian

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

Hi there,

The two islands are like different worlds. Barbados is safer in personal opinion and has many more beautiful beaches and a friendlier mentality. I did not care for DR as much...

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

Thanks to all for these recommendations and suggestions!! Very helpful!

8. Re: Barbados or Dominican Republic (Cabarete) Dec 2007?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:20