We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

After all the discussion on the various properties recently it got me thinking that we all seem to prefer different things, after that's what makes the world go round, but knowing what we like we can't always see what it is that others like, so what is it? - price, location, luxury, proximity of nightlife, beaches, brand loyalty, habit, I would love to know & I hope your views will help others decide.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Good question JTD.

For me it is:-

Waking in the morning with the beach on your doorstep

A balcony to sit on & admire the Caribbean sea

Sunshine

Clean comfortable fully equipped room

Easy walking distance to good restaurants & bars

Happy friendly staff

Good company to share your holiday highlights with

Short transfer from airport

Give me Barbados & Coral Mist anytime & I 'm happy!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Good question JTD!

For me, it would have to be:

Informal and friendly

Small

Close to bars/restaurants/shops/beach

Cheap

Clean

Comfortable beds

Secure

For me, I don't worry too much about what it's like inside - just so long as it's clean/comfortable etc as I really don't spend enough time in my room/hotel to justify spending money on luxuries etc - all I do is sleep and shower there, the rest of the time I'm out and about!

Will be interested to see other replies! JTD, what about your opinion?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Verderose...agree fully with your needs as we stay at Coral Sands just a bit up from your destination and your description very well describes our preferences....the kitchen facilities is very important for a relaxing breakfasts on the balcony overlooking the sea after we return from our morning walk on the beach. The hotel offers a quiet retreat just outside the busy Gap area that we venture out for a change of pace . The proximity to all the amenities (restaurants,groceries, bus stop,banks and the Gap) is wonderful. The facilities are quiet only 31 rooms and the grounds are well kept and secure..."unless you have someone scaling the walls in the middle of the night" .. but nevertheless it is what we look for and enjoy....Laurie

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

I love a smaller, family run apartment hotel on a beach. I prefer not too much intrusive noise at night as I am not into the night life. I go to be early and awake before the sun and either go for a morning swim and or walk.

I like a comfortable place, that has full cooking facilities, and is within walking distance to a bank and store to get the morning paper.

Love to meet and interact with the locals, and return year after year and recognize the faces - even though I may not know them by name.

A local bar or rum shop is in order to relax, and enjoy an afternoon or evening cool one. Kareoke is a must at least one night a week for entertainment.

Got to have a nice spacious balcony looking out to the sea when having the morning coffee and local fruit.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

...one more thing I forgot to mention. Since my boyfriend is Bajan, I like a place that will make him feel welcome when he comes by for a visit.

World
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

good value, friendly helpful staff, good food, no kids, no canned music,

northampton
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Usually, a small cottage directly on a West Coast beach with no other holidaymakers in sight (sorry folks!). Fully-equipped kitchen and ensuite shower. Comfy sitting room and pretty garden, full of wildlife, looking out over the Caribbean Sea. Not posh - not even smart; just somewhere that is completely "mine" for the duration of my stay. Somewhere I can watch the fishermen on the reef or a local going for his morning constitutional and receive a cheery "good morning". Somewhere there are no beach hawkers and no jetskis. No television. Close enough to shops to just hop on a bus or in the jeep to stock-up with provisions. Somewhere I don't have to bother about what I wear or scare anybody with my "morning face".

And then, every couple of years or so (as long as it's a second holiday) a small upmarket AI with excellent food so I don't have to shop or cook. With lovely rooms and great service.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,196 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Well, never really thought about why I've gone back to Coral Mist, and previopusly Casuarina over other hotels, but i guess it must be:

- On the beach/easy access to the beach (for early morning walk)

- A balcony with a view

- Kitchen facilities to make breakfast and the occasional lunch (no "cooking" for me!). Large fridge that usually ends up full of alcohol for pre- and post-dinner drinks!

- Clean room and good shower

- Within walking distance of bars & restaurants (I like to walk my dinner off)

- Friendly staff

- Value for money

- Not fussed about the luxuries, I prefer to spend time out of my room.

Nicky

Henley on Thames
Level Contributor
2,270 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

On our third visit to Barbados we went without any accommodation booked as someone said you can get good deals at the airport and also on previous occasions had taken last minute deals and had felt a bit isolated as we stayed at Sam Lords and Rockley (not on beach and was AI so tended to stay at hotel).

Went with the following request:

ON beach

Long sandy beach for morning walks

Quite area but short walk/taxi to restaurants/bars

Kitchen facilities to make breakfasts

Within our budget

Got offered the Bougainvillea 1 bedroom suite, first week at 70% of normal price, took offer and then stayed for our 2nd week as well and have been back 6 more times quite often staying in the same room. How sad is that!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So-- what do you look for in your holiday accommodation?

Accomodations must be clean, near the beach and near the night life.

The accountant in my can't justify spending a mint on accomodations when we are going to do a lot of activities (ie The Cliff, the day trip to Tobago cays and the helicopter tour).

We will spend more on accomodations if our acvities are limited or not as pricy.

We stayed at the Yellowbird and found everything to be acceptable. Friendly staff and within walking distance to everything we wanted to do. The music from the other establishments could be a bit loud but since we are late nighters, this really didn't bother us.