We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone question

England
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone question

Hi again , more questions.

I have a Vodaphone triband cell phone. It works fine in the USA but will I be able to use it in Barbados?

Coral Mist - I understand that they are apartments rather than a hotel. Does this mean that I take our own coffee/ shampoo/ shower gel etc etc? Not that I mind at all. I can buy them at the supermarket if necessary.

Thanks again to all of you helpful folk.

We have been to Barbados twice before but only for one day each visit with a cruise ship.

London, United...
Level Contributor
473 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone question

You should be able to buy nearly everything in the supermarket ...

I think Vodfone should work but it will change to Digicell

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,210 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone question

Hi there

You should be fine with Vodafone, but make sure you have international roaming enabled. The only thing I have had problems with in the past has been retrieving voicemail messages.

You will need to take everything you need to Coral Mist. They do provide miniatures of soap etc, but I always take my own shampoo, shower gel etc. I also usually take only tea bags & coffee and buy everything else out there. One thing that does bug me slightly is that thye don't provide washing up liquid or a sponge, so you have to buy that - i usually end up leaving about 95% of a bottle each time and no doubt the cleaning ladies never need to buy their own!

One thing not to take is beach towels, which take up a lot of room in your case - Coral Mist provides them and you can change them daily at reception.

Nicky

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone question

If you phone has a SIM card you can buy one and pop it into your cell. When we were there in Oct. ,my friend purchased a phone in Bridgetown to make life easier. I thought it was a waste of money, but in hindsight it was a blessing. I borrowed it when I went to Barbados a few weeks ago. You can buy cards to recharge your phone. A 20.00BDS card lasted 10days with some to spare. Some hotels will have free local calls,Divi Southwinds had free local calls and WiFi in the lobby, but when you are on the road it helps to have the cell. In January( God willing) when I return, I plan on buying a phone or a SIM card to pop into my phone.

England
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone question

Thanks for the tips. I'll take tea and coffee with us.

Never thought of taking a scourer or dish cloth. Good tip.

Do they provide tea towels?

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone question

Coral Mist do provide a tea towel. I always take a J-cloth for washing the dishes & as we don't cook anything there are only cups & breakfast bowls/plates to wash so I just rely on the hot water!

You will find they provide an iron & hairdryer so no need to take them which is a bonus when self catering

6. Re: Cell phone question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:19