We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Condition of Beaches On West Coast

I understand there has been large swells this month and some of the beaches have disappeared. I was wondering if anyone knows the condition of Gibbs beach.

Thanks.

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

We just got back on Sunday...the west coast beaches are fine. We spent the day at Mullins and the beach was beautiful. You can see where there was some damage to the stairs of the Suga Suga restaurant but the beaches are back to normal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Thanks Trippick for your response. Do you happen to have any pics of Mullins beach which you could post here?

West Malling...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,677 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Thanks for that Trippeck.

I posted the same question previously as I have seen the beach by Cocomos dissapear a couple of years ago and was just a load of rocks!

Seems like its not that bad then.

Cant wait to hit the beach Saturday.

Lesley

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Pics of the storm on the Mullins blog page + video.This happens, the beaches go then come back in weeks/month or two, they can most definately lose or gain 6 feet in height ^ over a season.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Thanks for the posts/information.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

I wouldn't say Mullins is back to normal - not by a long shot. And, I speak as a local who was born practically across the road from it by what is now the telephone exchange. Watersports and other activies may be back to normal but we still have a long way to go before the sand volume and beach width reach anywhere near pre-storm levels. However, it isn't something that we have not seen before and life goes on.

St. albert,Alberta
Level Contributor
920 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Guess I shouldn't have said "normal" I was comparing it to photos I'd seen in the months before our trip and it was pretty much what I'd expected. Didn't look like a lot less beach to me.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

I am glad you were not disappointed and that you had a wonderful time on Mullins Beach, and that hope you would come again soon and send your family and friends as well and/or bring them along with you.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try and take a picture but here are a couple shots I already have out there on the web that illustrate what I am talking about. They were taken in 2006 so they are a little dated. The first shows what (IMHO) I would consider a more "normal" Mullins Beach. The current conditions look a lot worse than the second photo, and these are only seasonal swings between the two photos - no damage as a result of 18' waves.

Photo 1 - …blogger.com/blogger/…monty2b.jpg

Photo 2 - …blogger.com/blogger/…monty1b.jpg

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

Thanks for posting that KNRX, really interesting! crikey looks quite steep to get in the sea at the moment. Understand what you mean too JTD re: heights of beach, Emma

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condition of Beaches On West Coast

KNRX:- you can read my mind! either that it's 'cos we know the beach so well -that is the exact wall I was referring to in my post!!