We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

HI All

Just a word of warning.. if you go to Accra/Rockley Beach and go to the vendors in the cluster of huts for food. I went the other afternoon and tried to purchase 2 cokes, 1 sprite and a water and they guy at Chicken George wanted to charge me 16.00BBD.. I looked at him and said, how much for the cokes and sprite he said 4.00 each.. Well thats totally not on. My friend Patricia at De Rock doesn't sell them for that much (unfortunately she wasn't open). I said you are joking, I wouldn't pay more than 2.00 (as thats what you pay at the gas stations, in the supermarket etc.) he said well thats what he charged.. so I turned around and started to walk off.. stopped and asked the guy across from chicken george how much he charged.. he said 2.50.. I said sold. got them and went on my merry way.. Soft Drinks and Beer are about the Cheapest things you can buy in Barbados, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

hi sunnie...just want to add to this thread with another experience. i actually bought my food and drinks from chicken george and son jayson this trip as i used to buy at the heineken bar that paul (pablo dantes) ran which is now under new ownership and was not open last year. on this trip, i found the crew that were running the food hut directly across from chicken george (where you got the $2.50 drinks) very aggressive as they had several guys "working the crowd" each day. they would hustle whoever walked up the steps to try to coax them into buying there. i watched this happen time and time again over a 2 week period so that is to say, i (sort of) agree that $4.00 is too much to pay for a soft drink, but i was treated respectfully each time i was there.

for anyone enjoying your vacation, spend where you feel comfortable and don't be intimidated or afraid to walk away as sunnie did.

cheers, rootsie!

GEM
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

I have to say I wasn't impressed with George's son this year. Last year we talk to George and had a nice chat with him. This year the son took right over and I also found the group hanging out there to be aggressive. I am sure the son over changed for the 2 rum punches and this year they didn't taste all that great either. i don't think I will be going back there again.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

Sunnie,4.00!!!? At that price it better come home and help with housework! You can get a fridge pack for that price....I was told to stay away from that hut. When I'm at Rockley(Accra) Beach, I just head to Chefette or Just Grillin'

Maybe you looked like a tourist (that's no excuse)....from time to time I have to break out the Bajan accent....lol

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,649 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

I totally agree about the actions of "crowd workers" from both of those places. My friend Pat at De Rock, does "over-price" some but not too much. She used to sell Ice Cream (not sure if she does anymore). There is a magnum that sells for 4.00normally.. she used to sell it for 5.00 now I think she (or the person who worked for her the last time we tried to get some,) said they were 8.00. I said.. no thanks

Anyway.. I usually don't get drinks or food from any of the places there, but when I do, and if she is open, it's De Rock.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

Just to say we always go to Da Rock when we go to Rockley beach - the lady there very friendly and helpful on our first visit to Barbados - always seems to be quite a busy bar - also we have been put of the other bars by the fellas there hassling you to go to theirs!

Barbados
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

We paid 9.00 BBD for a banks and a sprite a few moths ago. Never again!!!!! . We used to lime by Paul and it is a pity that he closed his bar. Have never tried the bar under the new ownership.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

monika - have you visited paul at pablo dantes? we have several very nice limes there - more room to move around and a nice crowd :)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
394 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

rootsie

whats pablo dantes like? we are staying at butterfly beach.Any good places to lime beside it?

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

Pablo Dantes is right near butterfly beach - about a 2 min walk - it on same side of road. Charlies Bar is opposite

Went in Jan this year - weekends were really busy - locals and tourists there - you can get food there as well. Great friendly atmosphere

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Chicken George and Sons at Accra Beach

hi holidayrep. pablo dantes is on the corner of the main road in maxwell on the street that leads to butterfly beach and bougainvillea. it is rum shop style with a bar and small seating area inside and picnic tables outside. there is a dj on the weekends and it gets quite lively. great mix of crowd and as noted, good food. if you ever visited the heinken food vendor in accra beach (closest to the facilities), it is the former owner paul who has pablo dantes.