We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Barbados Trip Review March 22 – April 4, 2008.

Many thanks for great reviews on the forums regarding Barbados. It was greatly appreciated and helpful with our trip. I hope you find my review helpful.

Sat. 22nd

Flight was great. Be sure to sit on the left side of the plane when flying into Barbados. It is picturesque. Make sure to stock up at the duty free prior to leaving the airport. You will have larger bottles than what you will find in the grocery stores. Rented a van at the airport (Drive O Matic). Cost was $2166 Bds. / $1083 US for 2 wks. Our villa was a 10 – 15 minute drive from the airport in Inch Marlow, Christ Church. Took the ZR from behind Buffy’s Rum Shop and Mini Mart into Oistin’s. Ate at Annie’s. Had a good meal of King fish, macaroni pie and green salad. Watched the entertainment.

Sun. 23rd

Easter Sunday. Drove around the area. Ate at Silver Point Hotel and Restaurant for a delicious Champagne brunch. Located in Silver Sands, Christ Church. Went back to our villa. Played in the ocean Surfer’s Point and relaxed by the pool.

Mon. 24th

Drove around the whole island. Got lost a few times. The signage isn’t great in Barbados but the locals lead you the correct way. Went to St. Nicholas Abbey located in Cherry Tree Hill, St. Peter. This is a beautiful tour of a plantation home and grounds. It is lovely. Staff was great. I would recommend touring this place and area. Check it out at www.stnicholasabbey.com Went to Farley Hill Park, St. Peter. This is a very nice park with public restrooms. Scenic. Cost $3.45 Bds.

Tue. 25th

Golfed 9 holes at the Rockley Golf course located in Christ Church. Ate a nice breakfast at the club after our round. Went to Supercentre in Oinstin’s for groceries.

Wed. 26th

Golfed 18 holes at the Rockley Golf course.

Thur. 27th

Gased up for another tour around the island. Fill up on the van $59.00 Bds at the Texaco.

Fri. 28th

Golfed 18 holes at the Barbados Golf Club, Durants, Christ Church. Ate at Buffy’s Rum Shop and Mini Mart. The best chicken, macaroni pie and salads. The food and people there are great. You can order take out and take it back if you don’t feel like eating in.

Sat.29th

Spent the day at Miami’s beach. You can rent lounge chairs there and they have a snack area as well. Not over crowed. Perfect spot. Went to the fish market in Oinstin’s. We asked for some fish ends and went out behind the wharf and fed the sea turtles and fish. Went to Bert’s Bar for drinks and snacks. This is located in Worthing, Christ Church. If you enjoy sports, then this is the place to watch them. Took ZR to Surfers Café in Oinstins for a fantastic meal.

Sun. 30th

Drove up to the Crane for a tour. Breathtaking spot. There is construction. Shopped at the St. Lawrence Gap and stopped in at the Southern Palms for a drink.

Mon. 31

Ocean adventure “Silver Moon” tour with Ben and Stephenson. They are both very knowledgeable and friendly. Stephenson makes the best Rum punch and banana daiquiris. The luncheon was superb (lasagna, flying fish, green salads, macaroni pie, potatoe salads). We had pre-booked on line prior to departure. This was amazing day. We went to snorkel with the sea turtles. Snorkelled over 2 ship areas. The fire coral was neat to see. Lots of coloured fish. Schools of them and you never felt them near you. Pretty amazing. This tour had room for 12 people only. It was relaxing and peaceful. Contact them at the following: reservations@silvermoonbarbados.com

The cost for 3 couples was $660.00 Bds. They have pick up and return included.

We shopped downtown Bridgetown. It was very busy. Nice shops to buy lots of things.

Tues. April 1st

Went for lunch at the Coffee Bean, Hastings Main Rd, Amaryllis Complex. Great food. Huge portions. Nice patio shaded to sit out on. $36.35 Bds. Champers (Skeetes Hill Rockley, Christ Church) for supper. It was a fantastic meal with exceptional service. Lovely art work displayed. The barracuda was amazing. The grilled dolphin was awesome.

Wed. 2nd

Toured the island some more, different route. We went back to St. Nicholas Abbey for the steam and sugar cane demonstration, which is held on Wednesday. Very interesting and informative. They did not recharge us; we kept our ticket from our first visit and returned to see the demonstration. Plus, a couple that joined us the second week did not get to see the Abbey. Went to Harrison’s Cave. The signage to get there is not very good but the locals were very helpful in pointing us in the right direction. Cost $80.00 Bds for 2. Went to the Round House Inn and Restaurant (Bathesheba, St. Joseph). Had a lovely lunch of flying fish, soup, salads and drinks. Cost $ 100.57 Bds. Spectacular view.

The Wildlife Reserve, which is up the road from Farley Hill Park. The cost $46.00 Bds for 2. All ages will enjoy this. Shaded area. You see monkeys, turtles, beautiful birds, and iguanas. They have a snack area.

Thurs. 3rd

Toured the Concorde. They really rushed you through and it could have been much more enjoyable if they didn’t do that. $35.00 Bds.

Ate at Little Arches, Café Luna (Enterprise Coast Rd, Christ Church). Beautiful spot. Unique and tranquil. Great food and service.

Fri. 4th

Relaxation day. Walked down through the St. Lawrence Gap.

Sat. 4

Last a.m. relaxed and said goodbyes to our villa neighbours. Flight was in the afternoon. Good flight back to Toronto.

So much that we did not get to see. We will be going back to Barbados so that we can finish our touring of the island. Great place with amazing people.

P.S. Be sure to pick up Barbados In A Nutshell at the airport. It is filled with great information from shopping, restaurants and places to explore. It is near where you pick up your luggage.

MA
Level Contributor
199 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Thank you, Marcie!

Great report - with lots of great tips. I am adding a few of your tips to my notes, as we speak. Thank you for the tip on the demonstrations at St. Nicholas Abbey.

We are now only 5 days and counting and it sure does help the "build up" reading these great reports.

Take Care,

Sue

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

great report marcie! i was reliving your steps as i was there just 4 days ahead of you. sorry we didn't cross paths although we were in the same place at the same time - oistins on the saturday night before easter sunday:) i had breakfast on easter sunday at little arches and buffy is an old friend - great spot! one of the places i didn't get to but will the next trip.

cheers, rootsie!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Sue: You will have a wonderful trip. Let us know when you get back.

Rootsie: Thanks so much, because of you and some others on trip advisor we had a great time. You are a wealth of knowledge and we really appreciated it. Our next trip, hopefully I will have a laptop. I think it would be handy. Again, thanks so much for all the information you have shared.

Marcie

Leeds
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
11,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Enjoyed reading your report. As a first timer to Barbados I find the info on prices very useful and have picked up some useful tips. Thank you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
999 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Glad to see you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

Dan

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Marcis, Great Report! Nice reading....

The Barbados In A Nutshell might be a lil scarce, I was told that the last shippment was damaged. On a bright note, Zagat's 2008 Best of Barbados is available.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Jetgalny

Your welcome. Your leaving soon for Barbados or maybe your there already. I tried the Zagat on line and was not able to access it. Have a wonderful holiday and please fill me in when you return.

Thanks,

Marcie

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Great report Marcie

I love reading about other peoples trips & even though this will be our 3rd time to BBDs there are still a lot of places I have earmarked to go this time.

Glad you enjoyed it & I have saved your report & will take it with me to remind myself of the restaurants etc

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

Thanks for the interesting and informative report. I've put St. Nicholas Abbey on my list for next time and had a look at the helpful link.

Clare

10. Re: Trip Review March 22- April 4, 2008

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 15:17