We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to wear in the evenings

derby
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
what to wear in the evenings

Hi,

We're off in a cple of weeks & I'm just starting to think about what to take. With it being our 1st time we're not quite sure - have read about men needing to be in collared shirts & both of us in enclosed shoes?! with the exception of the up market restaurants are we going to be ok in casual clothes, t-shirts/3'4 bottoms/flip flops?

Any suggestions on dress greatly appreciated

Thanks

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to wear in the evenings

Can only comment on the AI almond Beach Club/Village : here casual clothes are fine for breakfast and lunch - but in the evning/ for dinner, yuu would be better off with smart casual, including full length trousers and enclosed shoes for men. However on the usually once a week, beach barbeque night, day casual wear is acceptable.

Cardiff, UK
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to wear in the evenings

apologies for the many spelling mistakes in my reply above - I wish this website had a spell check facility !

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to wear in the evenings

In casual bars etc then 3/4 bottoms and T-shirts etc would be fine, but people do seem to get a bit dressed up in the evenings and you don't see many men walking roung in vest type shirts at all eg in the Gap. I mean that you don't see many people looking "chavvy" (no offence or start of an argument intended!) When there were bands on at eg The Ship in the Gap the locals and tourists alike were quite dressed up. Think nightclub gear in Derby or Sheffield in the summer and you will have a picture of what I mean. Where it's a smart venue, including in many hotels, then yes long trousers, enclosed shoes and collared shirts for men but a smart polo shirt seems to be OK in many places. Women don't need enclosed shoes (thank goodness!), strappy tops are fine too.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to wear in the evenings

aside from going to fancy restaurants, you can wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in. casual clothes, tshirts, capri pants, nice flip flops / sandals are all ok in the gap nightclubs. if you feel like dressing up, that's ok too...there's no real dress code for nightlife.

derby
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to wear in the evenings

Thanks to you all!

Roll on the sun eh.....cant wait!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what to wear in the evenings

Where are you staying - the hotel or whatever may have a dress code.

derby
Level Contributor
101 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what to wear in the evenings

We're staying at the magic isle apartments so a case of finding somewhere to eat everynight

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what to wear in the evenings

No problem with a dress code there then!-as every one (& the information pages) says-smart casual for dining out in the evening, the posher the places the nicer you look but shirt & trousers for men, women anything "decent & respectable" that you would wear at home to a similar standard of establishment-dress codes in BDS are not a 'cultural' thing just general dress standards. A 'caff' in the Gap- just wear what you like but a posh place liks "Southsea" or the Cliff is different.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what to wear in the evenings

Well said JTD, you've got it spot on.

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
228 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what to wear in the evenings

All sounds good...

I have long (linen) trousers and shirts for the evenings around the gap, but the wife has trained me to wear flip flops over the last year (could never keep 'em on!) so I've got 'posh' ones - sounds like I'll be able to put my training into action :-)