We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ZR buses/vans

Litchfield...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
ZR buses/vans

Ok...I feel like I'm a seasoned Barbados traveller (with one exception) I've never took a ZR bus before! We're staying at Allamanda end of May-June 7th-and I heard that there's a ZR "stop" outside of there.

How do they work?

What's usually the fare?

How late do they run (we've got a huuuuuge group and it might be nice to use them rather than cabs to Oistins)

Also..since they're locally run. Does anyone know any specific van owners/operators that we could possibly sub-contract to take the 24 of us around for certain nights?

-kelly

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ZR buses/vans

We used the ZR vans while we stayed in Christ Church. They can be pretty packed at times. We paid 1.75 Bajan (per person) and we were 6 people in our group. It was an interesting ride at times. The people are very friendly and we had no problems.

Jo9
Bristol, England
Level Contributor
229 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: ZR buses/vans

ZR's will actually stop anywhere-all you have to do is stick your hand out as they approach.

They cost $1.50Bds per person but if you chose to use them they would only be able to take some of you at a time. I know they pack them out but there won't be 24 free spaces in the van.

I think the full capacity may be about 17-4 rows of 4 and 1 in the front as I recall (next to the money collector), but they can only pick up the number of spaces they have available at the time.

They used to run until 11-12ish but seem to get fewer and far between the later you get. In Nov couldn't seem to spot one past 11 but this could be down to impatience, so got a taxi instead.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ZR buses/vans

I think ZR busses are the spawn of the devil,to be avoided at all costs, & that's just when driving never mind travelling on one!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ZR buses/vans

Sorry, They are 1:50B and they are very safe, as well as a lot of fun. Just ask your "wing man" about group travel and they will be glad to help you out, I think JOHNTHED0G is leading you astray. You will here them coming with there "General Lee" horns tooting, just wave them down.

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ZR buses/vans

joshlufsgirl, in reply to your question...yes, the zr's and the bigger yellow ones can be hired to to do private jobs. just ask any of the bus drivers or if you look carefully inside any of them there's the owners telephone number and address displayed. enjoy your holiday!!!

Salisbury UK
Level Contributor
432 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ZR buses/vans

We just get on the first bus that arrives whether its a Blue or the ZR.

The ZR is certainly an "experience" but is all part of the Barbados way of life and is very cheap transport which can't be said for many other parts of the world especially the UK.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ZR buses/vans

Definitely a must do!! The drivers are nuts, I must warn you, not really the safest form of transport as my friend cut her elbow from being tossed around in the back of one. But in a very wrong way, it was still comedy! And still a sort of an enjoyable experience. One of our ZR drivers stopped off half way through route to pick up a banks beer which just says it all!!

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
216 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ZR buses/vans

Oh I love the ZR buses!! However, if I'm going on a longer journey from say the south coast to the west coast, I get a blue bus. But short trips (into Bridgetown from Dover), I always jump on a ZR. Far more fun and you meet people that way too! The drivers practically take you to your door if they can - they stop anywhere they like LOL

Stephanie

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ZR buses/vans

Hey John, these people have to make a living you know and the thing is most of them are courteous and respectful some very religious. Have you ever been in one????? They are frequent, cheap,clean and will go out of their way to stop on request and will often wait for you if you are wanting their service and your walking down a side street. Ok some of them do play music - what's wrong with that?? as long as they get you from A to B safely thats all that matters. I rely on them because they are more frequent that other buses. I will treat you next time your in Barbados then we'll see what the review is!!

They also help you put your shopping on the pavement for no extra charge Bless em. I think tourists should use them more and not be scared. How's Hampshire transport???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ZR buses/vans

I agree the ZR are an adventure not to be missed. When I was there in May my girlfriend got a kick outta hearing the horns. Yes, they are jammed at times,deal with it! but I've always found everyone to be very courteous. Many times,gentlemen help you in and out of the vans....where else can you get that kind of service?..lol. Yes, the music can be loud at times, but if you ask them to turn it down, they do. I've even been on one with a movie playing! It was like a 757 on the ground, I was waiting for a drink/snack service....lol Unfortunately, I was going from Bridgetown to Divi so, I never got to see the entire movie. Yes Sue, these guys are just making an honest living with what resources they have. Isn't there a song about the ZR's?...lol