We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

I will write a trip report shortly, but felt it fair to warn any of you TA-ers who might be staying at Coral Mist and want to pay your bill in USD cash (as we did).

The hotel quote their rate in USD. We wanted to pay in USD, so I had calculated how much our balance should be. On being presented with the bill it was more than I expected. When I questioned this I was told it was because USD are exchanged at a rate of 1.95 to BDS$. It appears they were converting the bill from USD to BDS (at a rate of 1:2, so the hotel gains in both directions), then back to USD at a rate of 1.95:1 (still with me?).

To me it seems pretty simple that if something is quoted in USD and you want to pay in USD then you pay the same amount! It took several conversations with the poor receptionist, over a period of about 3 hours, to resolve this. Eventually, when I asked to speak to the manager on the phone, he arranged for the Blue Orchids manager to come over. She immediately agreed with me, but it is something to be aware of. Obviously if the room rate was quoted in BDS$ then I would have no problem with them setting their exchange rate at slightly below that of the banks, that's what you have to accept, but tis seemed like blatant profiteering to me.

Note: Apart from this, the holiday was fab!

Nicky

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

I suppose it would be the same if you paid with a card, the conversion would be the same -I never thought to check it, I never keep (or sometimes never get) the little chit/bill when you sign for drinks & stuff so I am a prize victim to be 'done' I don't know what to expect.Glad the hols went well.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

JTD

If we paid by card then it was charged in BDS$ - Calculated from the USD room rate at 1:2......fair enough, but to then convert back to USD again at 1.95???! I couldn't believe what they were trying to do! Still, I think I made my point!

Could have managed to end the holiday without the hassle, but the Rockleys showed up to see us off, so that brightened the last few minutes up!

Nicky

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

To be honest I have found wherever you go & however often or long you have stayed however nice they are when it comes to THE BILL it all goes out the window,after staying at KBH for three weeks one Xmas we forgot to pay for our last lunch(sandwich)as the cab turned up they came out to the taxi I had to pay through the window!

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

Welcome back Nicky, glad you had a good time again. We didn't book through the hotel directly, we got a better deal elsewhere (which surprised me) so didn't experience your problem. Look forward to hearing more about your holiday.

GEM
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

Hey Nicky I went through the same thing when I paid. I couldn't figure why it was more then I had worked out especially when you pay the deposit based on three days and it worked out at 2-1. Another person had posted the same problem around the same time. I don't agree with it either.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

I had an issue when I paid my bill in January. When I contacted my bank,I was told it was a Fed Reserve charge. I don't use that card any longer when I'm in Barbados.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

What I can tell you is that technically by law anyone in Barbados should be only quoting you goods and services in Barbados dollars. If the hotel gave you a US Amount, that is the amount you should pay, nothing more nothing less, because they have already done the conversion to get it to that rate anyway. They would have taken the Barbados amount and converted it using a 1.98 ROE (or possibly a 1.95) to get the USD amount. and that's what they would have quoted you. To redo that allover again, would be just plain stupid. (and of course would mean you pay more).

I'm sorry it happened to you..

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

somewhat similar situation just happened with us booking online from a uk company. they quoted us in US dollars then billed us in pound stirling on a canadian credit card (which is very close to the US dollar 1.99). we ended up paying $50 US more than the quote which isn't much but was annoying when the credit card statement came in.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

The rate 2-1 is a rough guide. Even the supermarkets in Barbados only give you 1.98 to the bds dollar and you know hotels always want to give you less. The rates change daily like at the banks

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,332 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning: Paying your bill at Coral Mist

Sue

I completely understand that the hotels often use a higher rate and in the past I have paid my hotel bill on my credit card, which was quoted in USD and charged to my card as BDS$ at 1:2.,,,that's a fact of life.

What I objected to on this occasion was that we wanted to pay it in USD bills. Since the price was quoted in USD, then that was the amount I expected to pay. What the hotel did was take the quoted amount, convert it to BDS$ (at 1:2) and then back to USD (at 1:1.95) and try to charge me that amount. It wasn't the amoun tof money I objected to, it was their method, which must surely be illegal.

All sorted out OK in the end anyway.

Nicky