We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How important is location to you?

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How important is location to you?

There has been a bit of discussion on a post about the newly renovated Sugar Cane Club, as we have stayed there before I thought I should point out that it is not on the beach or anywhere near the beach.I was most surprised by a couple of replies that said they actually preferred the location as is was NOT on the beach, now I know we are all different but I think a great beachside location is very important when deciding to book a hotel on BDS, what do you all think & how important is your hotel/accomodation's location when it comes to deciding on where to stay?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How important is location to you?

No matter where I go in the world when I am researching a holiday I always start with a beach and work back. Must be close to the beach.Then I need a balcony closely followed by a pool.Only then do I start looking at the quality of the hotel and other facilities. Air conditioning is a must. I have to say in Barbados I have always been on the beach (ok at the Crane not so much on as above)and can't see me considering accomodation not on the beach.

The beach is king for me & her indoors.

uk
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How important is location to you?

Not only is the beach a necessity to us - a sea view is nearly as important - nothing better than enjoying your early morning cup of coffee looking out from the balcony - next comes - clean/tidy -

near to restaurants/nightlife (not in - tried that one) - pool/bar on site -

price - always a consideration!

We tend only to be in the Hotel in the evening to get changed etc and to sleep - sometimes have a drink/sunbathe by the pool for a few hours

Barbados does have so many things to do outside the hotel that it would be a waste to us to stay in the Hotel each day

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How important is location to you?

That's what I think, I was so surprised to hear that it isn't important to some. Without the beach you could be anywhere.

uk
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How important is location to you?

I think maybe its different types of holiday people have.

my preferred type is the relax in the sun and do as little as possible!!

but some people use their holidays to go sightseeing or treking for example also young families need to be near all the hotel facilities

As barbados has so much history and sights to see - maybe it doesnt just attract the beach lovers like me!

Bickington, United...
Level Contributor
257 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How important is location to you?

Yes even a meany like myself who always looks for budget property, must have a beach and a sea view room.But then i live by the sea.Unfortunately its not quite like barbados.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How important is location to you?

Hi

When you say the sugar cane club is not anywhere near the beach it is 0.72 miles from the beach.Myself and the wife spend probably about at least 50% of our days on beaches while in Barbados, we didnt find it having a negative effect on our holiday,staying near the scc,so why is it a neccesity to be camped on the beach the whole time,especially if you have use of a car.

Just because one person think a great beachside location is the ultimate priority, that doesnt mean we all have to do the same.

As you mention we are all different

Mg Steve

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How important is location to you?

You don't have to be "camped on the beach" but isn't it all part of the BDS experience to have that view & the sound of the sea & being on the beach doesn't stop you from going out,which beach is only 0.72 miles from SCC? it certainly seems a LOT further & it is down hill(going) & didn't seem walkable to us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How important is location to you?

I stay at beach-side hotels so that I may take a 7 am swim every day before breakfast.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How important is location to you?

The beach is a must for me on Caribbean holidays, I agree with BBDSbeauty that there is nothing nicer than an early morning swim too before people are about. I also love to sit on the balcony and look out over the ocean watching the sun go down or at lunch time etc. Especially aided by a glass of bubbly! It really makes the holiday for me.

I don't think there is anything wrong if you don't need that though, holiday's are all about choosing what is right for YOU. Would be a boring thing if we all liked the same thing, and also my favourite places would be too crowded lol! Emma

Scotland
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How important is location to you?

I must say I also like to be somewhere by the beach. Although at Sandpiper we hadn't an actual beach-side room but a garden room each time, we could see the sails of the sailfish boats and hear the waves lapping. The Crane we always face the ocean and next year we'll have a week at Divi in a beachside apartment rather than a garden one.

In Florida too we always go for an apartment on the beach. I think it's more important to us when it's say the Caribbean Sea or Gulf of Mexico where the beaches are often spectacular and the water is warm. In Europe it doesn't bother us so much as the water tends to be cold so we're not so willing to go into it!