We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Connection

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
American Connection

The American colonies had close ties to Barbados for a number of reasons, including the fact that in 1649, the Barbadian Society of Gentlemen Adventurers settled what became known as the Carolinas. Many Carolinians (North and South) still trace their roots to Barbados.

Barbados's climate also gained renown and in 1751 a young George Washington went there on his only trip abroad. He brought his ailing half brother to the island in search of a miracle tropical cure.Just wanted

to make visitors form the usa know that barbados ties with their country goes way back too so they are as welcome here as the british.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Connection

Most intereesting -didn't know that, but all nationalities are welcome not just the Brits & Americans.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American Connection

There were also strong ties here in the Northeast particularly here in the Boston area. There is a plaque in the Old North Church (of Paul Revere fame) stating that funds to build the church were collected in Barbados. Crispus Attucks, the first man to die in the American Revolution (Boston Massacre) was actually a former slave from Barbados. And, of course, it is widely believed the origins of the famous Salem Witch-hunt can be traced to a slave girl originally from Barbados who practiced an ancient African religion. This is not even to mention the huge trade in rum and cod fish.

barbados
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Connection

KNRX,thanks for sharing that bit of history with us all.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Connection

You can visit George Washington House at the Garrison its a beautifully restored museum in the property where he is reported as staying with his step-brother to recover from illness the only place he stayed outside USA!!

Atlantic Shores...
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: American Connection

It's a little-known fact but George Washington contacted Colonial Travel, Inc. and was actually booked into the Almond Causarina after being told it would be open that year.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Connection

Oh no you didn't!

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,876 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Connection

oh yes he did.. thanks.. I've now had my good morning laugh..

As an American, and more importantely a North Carolinian, I'm proud of the Barbados/Carolina Connection. I'm finding out also that some of my Brooks ancestory likely came through Barbados on their way to the colonies (no they were not Barbadosed - exciled, as far as I know). there are documents about land ownership, weddings and funerals (been here almost 16 years and haven't traced it yet, but I do have some info). But as my Brooks kin are from England and went to the US,, I guess that makes us all realted...

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Connection

Very funny bpfife! gave me a laugh too! Emma

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
643 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Connection

KNRX, I've done both of those tourist attractions while growing up in the Boston area,both are a most see.

BBeauty,yes he did....lol

Wilmington NC
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Connection

Back to the meat of this original post:

We are really curious about the US Colonial connection to Barbados, specifically the Carolina connection.

Do you suggest the Barbados Museum for more info? Or are there other places we should check?

Also how about pirates? Stede Bonnet "The Gentleman Pirate" had ties (I think) to Barbados and the Carolinas.

Many Thanks

Brian