We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Is it necessary to make reservations to go?

Or can you just show up?

I saw on one site a reservation request form so was just wondering.

I'd rather not commit to an exact date in case of rain.

Also..anyone been to this one and the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary? I love nature and taking nature photos so I'm tempted to go to both.

I'm staying in the South coast so the Sanctuary is close..I'm assuming the wildlife reserve is a fair distance. Any ides of time by cab from Worthing?

Thanks for any help.

I didn't find any of these answers in the reviews.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Hi michellejo. We just came back from Barbados and we visited the Wildlife Reserve while we were there. You do not need to make a reservation, just show up, pay your admission and walk through the Reserve at your pace. We really enjoyed it - it isn't a huge place and it's a little on the touristy-side but fun to walk through with all the animals wandering right past you. We got some great pics of a momma green monkey with her baby. :)

We had Graeme Hall on our list of maybe's to see but ran out of time and didn't end up seeing it. I'm sure others can comment on it for you (and how much a cab would be to the Reserve - we rented a car so I'm not sure how much the cab fare would be).

Have a great trip!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

The Wildlife Reserve is quite a way by BDS standards & in my opinion is worth maybe an hour if that, it is more a petting zoo than a serious wildlife observation thing.The best thing though is the monkey feeding time late afternoon ..they return to get fed(again) after a day pillaging the fields!

G.Hall is very nice, again a hour maybe two as it seems bigger,when I was last there July'07 it was still under some construction as it is reclaimed land.

If you have a car you could do both easily in a day, maybe an afternoon ..another good place that seldom gets mentioned is the Flower Forest..if you can find it!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

Thanks for your replies!

Since the sanctuary is walking distance I'll do that one for sure.

I'd be doing the reserve alone so I'm still debating.

I honestly don't care about the monkey's but I'm a turtle freak.

I don't think I'd make a block driving in Barbados. Is scary enough crossing the busy streets there.

I'm not used to the opposite side of the road driving.

So I'll walk, bus or cab it.

Ohh flowers. Sounds beautiful as well.

Since I typically do the catamarans and water sports I wanted to focus more on nature and sight seeing this time since it's just me doing it alone.

I've yet to try the caves as well.

So much to do. So little time.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

One of the big things these days is swimming with turtles,I personally think it is imposing on their space but if done on a small scale ie: off the beach or a small boat, it isn't too bad.

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

I'm against it if they are kept in captivity like many countries with dolphins.

I've done the turtle swim and they only come around for the food then they get lost real fast.

Personally I find it more captivating if you happen to see one stick their head out of the ocean while you are just frolicking in the ocean.

Only happened once for me but it was such a wonderful and unexpected surprise.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

if you really like turtles, i think you should go to the wildlife reserve - they're everywhere and so gentle. you can get there by bus or would suggest that you mention it to people that you meet and you might be able to contribute to a cab / tour for a much cheaper rate.

cheers, rootsie!

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
662 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

I'm slowly trying to convince my mom to come for company.

She's a bit older but I think she'd enjoy it.

She doesn't like Iguana's but they wouldn't be crawling around everywhere. I think she expects wildlife to be jumping all over her.

She's already agreed to doing breakfast at the Crane, then cab it to flower forest and then on to the Harrison caves.

I'm getting too excited already.

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

The things that live inside shells in the wildlife are tortoises on the land & terrapins in the ponds.

On the Turtle thing, they are free to come & go but the fact they are artificially fed is interfering with nature for our own pleasure,does it do any harm? ..dunno but somehow it doesn't sit well with me.

The Flower Forest ...well jungle is more like it, the flowers depend on the time of year don't go expecting it to be like a flower show, same as the "Wildlife Reserve" don't expect too much of that either,very pleasant but as I said more a petting zoo than a serious naturalist experience.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

assuming you are the mammal expert jtd...i stand corrected.

Turtles usually live in salt water and have large blade shaped flippers for swimming. They find it very hard to walk on land.

Tortoises usually live on land or in fresh water. They have legs rather than flippers and can walk quiet well on land.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbados Wildlife Reserve

oops, i meant "reptile expert" lol