We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So What's so special about Barbados?

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
So What's so special about Barbados?

Well?

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,458 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

You kidding right? This is a travel forum, do you have a specific question about a hotel or a restaurant, or an activity?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

Well! I think it would be quicker and easier to say what isn't so special about Barbados................

Nothing!

Barbados is a beautiful country, with something for everyone, gorgeous weather, beautiful beach, crystal clear warm sea, wonderful greenery and the most kind, generous and friendly people I have ever met.

Have a look through the Barbados forum and you will see peoples reports and see how everyone who has ever been says there is something magical about the country and how you will fall in love with the place if you go. I have travelled substantially and was quite "yeah okay, we will see" about it, but I have to agree, I am smitten with the country!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

Once upon a time someone posted a similar thread

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k1397…

click on this and you will find what many of the regulars here on the TA forum love about Barbados.

Guess you will just have to go and find out for yourself and see if you 'get it'. I'm sure you will :o) Emma

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
2,474 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

Well?

1. Pure drinking water

2. Drive on British side of the road

3. English speaking

4. Friendly and safer than most big country

5. Low crime rate

6. Good value for money against GBP

7. Beautiful Beaches

8. Good Food

9. Good Nightlife

10.Good transport system

PLUS 340 SUNNY DAYS PER YEAR - WHO WANTS EUROPE - POUND DOWN AGAINST THE EURO SO YOUR GETTING LESS FOR YOUR HOLIDAY CASH.

+ Barbados is an all year round holiday destination why do you think a lot of brits chose here rather than Spain?? I still think I made a very wise move.

You have to come over to see what I mean.Home from Home

Barbados
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

As far as a holiday destination is concerned I think Barbados has everything you could ever ask for in a Caribbean island. Low crime rate, world-class dining and nightlife, professionally run tours and excursions, and yet it's still possible to find a deserted beach all to yourself as well as beaches with a bit of a buzz if that's your thing.

I've been to the enire chain of Caribbean islands (except Jamaica and Trinidad) and, much to my surprise, didn't find another island I liked as much as Barbados. Many had some of the features Barbados enjoys such as great beaches or good dining, but it was hard to find one that offered the entire package. Of course this is just my own opinion, many people prefer other islands for their own reasons, but for me Barbados has it all. Now if only we had a few good shopping malls..... : )

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
534 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

What butterflysue said plus it's only an eight hour flight from the UK.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

Hi Cathco, well everyone before me has summed it up so well. Beautiful island, friendly people, lovely beaches and fabulous restaurants. The fact that you can freely travel round Barbados and feel safe is a great big plus too. The island varies greatly, dramatic coastline and big waves on the east, gentle sea and a calmer atmosphere on the west and in the south although it is more built up there are lovely beaches and plenty of restaurants in all price ranges. I think Barbados has something for everyone and I can't wait to go back.

northampton
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

May be way off base here (damn, even picking up our country cousin's expressions) but don't you think this poster might be just be asking (in a slightly different way, I grant you) the same type of thing that a number of regulars have posted e.g. "What is it about Barbados?" et al?

OK. Back to C Ward now.

Millom, United...
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

Thats what I'm talking about!

Some excellent and passionate ansewrs!!

I met a lady yesterday who is from Barbados and she told me it had to be the friendliest island in the Caribbean. I don't think it can be as friendly as Jamaica.

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So What's so special about Barbados?

I don't know how to compare the friendliness of the 2 islands. I have stayed many times on Barbados but have only stopped off at Ocho Rios on cruise ships. I thought Jamaica was beautiful, but felt a bit more hassled by the taxi drivers and tour sellers than in other caribbean islands. I know that it DOES happen on most islands but they just seemed a bit more forceful in Jamaica. One driver who gaves us a tour was really friendly but ripped us off and we only got half a tour!! I am sure Jamaica lovers would tell us completely different stories though.