We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Which Island?

I have no idea how to figure out which of the many Caribbean Islands we should go to for a week-and-a-half stay in mid-October.

St. Kitts has made the short list (although it's still kind of a long list).

How does it rank compared to:

Cayman Islands

Barbados

St. Lucia

Antigua

We are mid-twenties, not much for night life though... enjoy great snorkeling, beach, boogey boarding/surfing, shopping, low-crime type of island. We've gone to Hawaii the past two years and have loved it, but want to try something a little closer to home. Any advice would be appreciated.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Island?

I should have read this before copying/pasting... sorry. I should have said Barbados has made the short list and wondering how it ranks with:

Cayman Islands

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

Antigua

Thanks!

Hampshire UK
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Island?

All I can say having been to some of them is that Barbados has the best dining & nightlife, Antigua has the best beaches, ST.Lucia has proper jungles & I don't know but imagine St.Kitts is very quiet,the Cayman Islands I know even less about but I think they are quite 'American', Grand Cayman anyway, the small islands Cayman Brac & Little Cayman are probably even quieter but charming, expensive???

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Island?

Agree with JTD. Have been to all except the Cayman Islands. Antigua has great beaches - however, I'm not a surfer but I can't recall anybody surfing there at all. St Lucia certainly doesn't have (for me) the best Caribbean beaches, although it has lots else to commend it. Think St Kitts would be too quiet so ... Barbados probably the best option for you. South coast beaches eg Silver Sands will probably give you waves big enough for surfing/ boogie boarding but not be too busy. The serious surfers go to Bathsheba on the east coast - no idea what it's like in October though!

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Island?

Oh and maybe Crane Beach in Barbados would do it.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Island?

There's pretty much some sort of surfing here all year round I'd say apart from the odd days here and there. I work with some surfer dudes who, like everyone else on the island who surfs, follow the waves from one side of the island to another - it's like they have their own way of communicating lol!

Limerick...
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Island?

Antigua stay all inclusive only.

St.Lucia very nice.

Cayman Islands also good.

Barbados heading there in Feb 2009

We did not care for Antigua.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Island?

What was wrong with Antigua?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Island?

I think that Barbados would have the most attractions (cultural, social, athletic, dining) of the islands listed here. Additionally, a week and a half is a lengthy vacation, so you may want to consider visiting more than one island.

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Island?

I wouldn't say a week and a half is a particularly long time for a vacation to be honest - I guess it depends how long it takes you to get here and unwind first. Do remember that although "island hopping" sounds fun, but with all the checking out of the hotel, checking in and hanging around at the airport, what seems like endless security checks, and then re-checking in to another hotel (which is normally not allowed before 3pm), these days you end up losing almost a whole day even for the shortest flight.

Sarah

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Island?

I suppose to an American, a week and a half is a long vacation as in my experience, most people I've met seem to have only one week. I go "home" for three weeks in August, and to me, that is no where near long enough. I was there for 7 weeks in Feb/ March-----------now that was more like it!!