We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mullins beach takeover

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mullins beach takeover

Hi All,

It has been brought to my attention that the Royal westmorland hotel staff employed on the beach at Mullins are starting to use intimidatory behaviour towards beach users that are not actually staying at that hotel by trying too discourage people from going on that part of the beach that they decided to takeover, with their rows of blue sunbeds and shades,so much for all the beaches in Barbados being public.

Are the government quite content to still agree with the beaches being public,while behind the scenes they just let all the big consortiums and five star hotels just do as they want to.

You only have to look what is happening at Paynes bay with the sands resort ,I never seen such a monstrosity in my life it looks like something from a roman film set.

I know at the end of the day it is money that talks,but it would be interesting to know how the local people feel about this issue,I can see the majority of Barbados being carved into pieces just owned by luxury tourist resorts eventually.

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mullins beach takeover

Unfortunately, and to the detriment of everyone locals and visitors, that has been the objective of the previous Barbadian government and it looks like it is continuing. They've been giving approval to large portions of the beach being taken over by huge developments. It is an unfortunate situation and I believe in the long run the locals will suffer.

uk
Level Contributor
1,006 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mullins beach takeover

In what way are they intimidating people- is this just by the blue beds or does it apply to the other sunbeds for hire further down.

My understanding was that only people staying at Westmorland could use the blue beds but that the beach bar and other sundbeds for hire were available to everyone?

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mullins beach takeover

And I'd like to see them try to remove me if I choose to sit on the sand in that same area... at either Mullins or Payne's Bay.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
371 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mullins beach takeover

Good on you Sunnie!

england
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mullins beach takeover

I thought that might happen regarding intimidation. I wondered what would happen if you just sat on a beach towel in the Westmoreland area. Sunnie, if they try and remove you could you warn us and be in view of the camera so that we can all watch, lol.

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mullins beach takeover

I do hope that this isn't going to mean that people such as me and my family aren't going to be able to go onto the beach - for us Paynes Beach - we're not staying in some glitzy hotel, but renting a villa for 3 weeks in December??? What facilities are there to rent a bed etc if one is not staying in one of the Hotels on the beaches....

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mullins beach takeover

on what I call the main stretch of Paynes Bay, there actually isn't a hotel(except the Sands, which isn't a hotel, and isn't finished yet).. The worst place is the Blue Monkey Beach bar then there are hotels south of that. You can sit anywhere on Paynes Bay.

There are beach vendors who will rent chairs and umbrellas

London, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mullins beach takeover

Tnanks Sunniebgi! Good to have you back... thanks for your advice....did you have a good time in the US of A?

Rapx

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mullins beach takeover

Good for you Sunniebgi! I would love to lock arms with you in protest.

barbados
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mullins beach takeover

Hi Sunniebgi, I must take issue with your statement "the worst place is Blue Monkey Beach Bar". To begin with,some people might like it a bit lively but if not, I was on the beach there yesterday with only about a dozen people. Its Taxi drivers that bring passengers from cruise ships there makes it uncomfortable at times, but you only have to walk a couple of hundred yards South and the crowds disappear. Blue Monkey is also closing for renovation 6th September I am reliably informed so it may not be as busy there for a while